Mike Nolan Has Got To Go!

slewis1952

This is Nolan's third year. His defense, despite signings and drafting, has become the absolute worst in the NFL. No improvement, no schemes (remember the Amoeba defense that baffled Peyton and Brees?). To elaborate, Thomas Dimitroff needs to hold the door open while he and Nolan get the **** out of town. We cannot stop the run, we cannot stop slants, we average less than 1 sack per game, we cannot blitz, and we have personel that would not start for any other NFL team. While I am at it, Arthur Blank reflects this teams attitude while standing on the sideline at the end of every game looking lost. Again, injuries have hit us and the wheels are coming off. We score 28 and lose by 13 to a rooking QB, a rooking runnning back, and a butt chewing defense who had no fear of the Atlanta Falcons.I desparately want to keep my seaon tickets until the new dome opens. However this is not worth the money or the time and I see no hope on the horizon.

PS I purposely left off Mike Smith only because he has to play the hand that is dealt him. However no fire, no leadership, the same press conferences after each loss, and some coaching decisions (like the TO before the half that gave Minnesota a chance to score again) that baffle me.

The defense sucking has a lot to do with Smitty than most think.

The things that this defense is doing is not even Nolan like.

I never remembered Terrell Suggs and Cam Wake covering a WR when Nolan was their DC but yet Kroy and Maponga played roles in covering WRs, which is an abomination.

The middle of the defense is also weak as s**t outside of Soliai. The ILBs can't cover worth a dam and are missing crucial tackles.

The edge rushers spend more time in coverage on passing downs than actually rushing the QB. The coaches are also failing to develop these edge rushers some pass rush moves because all they are doing is constantly trying to bull rush when ever they do get to rush the QB.

I blame Nolan for some of the problems but Smitty really has to be looked at as the main culprit. Nolan has been a highly successful DC just about everywhere he has been. I find it very odd that he would look an abomination against football only under a Smitty lead Falcons with TD as the GM.

Man, stop blaming Smith for Nolans defense. Last week when it worked nobody praised Smith for how the D played.

This is Nolans D.

Shouldnt have spent the whole bank on 3-4 DL players then played them as 4-3 DTs to start. There was no reason to pay TJax then run some gimmick 4-2-5 def.

Should have spent TJax, Osi and Kroys money on a pass rusher.

Man, stop blaming Smith for Nolans defense. Last week when it worked nobody praised Smith for how the D played.

This is Nolans D.

Shouldnt have spent the whole bank on 3-4 DL players then played them as 4-3 DTs to start. There was no reason to pay TJax then run some gimmick 4-2-5 def.

Nolan should get blamed but Smitty should as well.

Nolan looks like an abomination against football right now under Smitty, who is also a defensive minded coach.

People got their hopes up against a bad Bucs team. The Falcons have never even had a decent defense in these 7 years under Smitty, which is terrible.

I think the complaining about LBers in coverage is odd. Everyone said we're moving to a 3-4 (I still disagree with that, since we really aren't doing anything new, but whatever -- we've always run a lot of 3 down looks). What do y'all think the other OLB in a 3-4 does? On most plays, one rushes, one drops. That's just how it is.

Now, having them singled up on the other team's fastest WR? Not a good outcome. But it's not like dropping your OLBs into coverage is some sort of odd twist on a 3-4 defense. It's how they're run.

I think the complaining about LBers in coverage is odd. Everyone said we're moving to a 3-4 (I still disagree with that, since we really aren't doing anything new, but whatever -- we've always run a lot of 3 down looks). What do y'all think the other OLB in a 3-4 does? On most plays, one rushes, one drops. That's just how it is.

Now, having them singled up on the other team's fastest WR? Not a good outcome. But it's not like dropping your OLBs into coverage is some sort of odd twist on a 3-4 defense. It's how they're run.

Yeah, it is normal for OLBs to drop into coverage. It is highly dumb to have them man up on a WR though, it is usually suppose to be against RBs and TEs or just dropping into zones.

The ILBs look very lost even in zone coverage in the middle of the defense and are constantly being explioted.

OLBs usually don't drop on sure passing situations though. They usually get after the QB on those downs unless its a designed blitz.

Yeah, it is normal for OLBs to drop into coverage. It is highly dumb to have them man up on a WR though, it is usually suppose to be against RBs and TEs or just dropping into zones.

The ILBs look very lost even in zone coverage in the middle of the defense and are constantly being explioted.

OLBs usually don't drop on sure passing situations though. They usually get after the QB on those downs unless its a designed blitz.

Which is why I think we're getting caught in personnel mismatches. That's a coaching problem (and ultimately Nolan's responsibility), but it isn't a scheme issue necessarily.

Noland hasn't been highly successful anywhere. He had moments but nothing special. Name one great dominating defense he coached.

Not dominating as in the 2000 Ravens or 2013 Seahawks, but he has had some good defenses.

Suggs was defensive rookie of the year under him along with a good Ravens defense around the early-mid 2000s. The Broncos were good and Elvis Dumervil had his best season to date under Nolan.

Miami had a good defense with the emergence of Cam Wake under Nolan.

All of those teams do have some things in common with each other while this Falcons defense doesn't . They each had some solid ILBs and OLBs/DEs, which is what the Falcons are highly lacking

Guest facelessman07

Yes! Let's totally fire another coordinator and keep Smitty since that move worked so well last time!

Wake up people. How many coordinators and assistant coaches do we have to fire before yall realize Smith is at the root of all this? It's not really that hard to figure out

It's the talent not Nolan... Just think if we still had abe grimes and lofton... the defense would be decent considerably better... outside of Tru, babs and wilmo everyone else can be replaced... Jackson and solai obviously hasn't been working out with the run d... this d lacks leadership, tenacity and swagger...

It's the talent not Nolan... Just think if we still had abe grimes and lofton... the defense would be decent considerably better... outside of Tru, babs and wilmo everyone else can be replaced... Jackson and solai obviously hasn't been working out with the run d... this d lacks leadership, tenacity and swagger...

I was just thinking about that yesterday. We drafted 2 CBs last season. Why? We let Grimes go and had holes in the secondary. We signed Osi. Why? We let Abe go and had a huge hole at DE (and we needed pass rush help when Abe was here). We are starting UDFAs at ILB right now. Why? We let Lofton walk and Spoon can't stay healthy.

We draft for need, and I think that's dumb, but whatever. The bigger problem is we create needs and try to fill the holes in the draft, which is just stupid. "We need CB help -- let's be sure not to sign our Pro Bowl FA corner so we can spend 2 draft picks on DBs." "We need pass rush help -- whatever we do, we shouldn't re-sign our best pass rusher, since we can just downgrade the position in FA (since we're spending our high picks on corners this season)." It's no wonder we can't win on defense. We don't develop very many players, and the ones who do develop we end up letting walk in FA and trying to replace them with draft picks and middling FA pickups.

Nolan calls the plays, so much of the blame should go to him. I'm tired of hearing what a great coach he WAS in the past. He hasn't done much as a coordinator in his tenure in Atlanta. He's like Steve Spagnulo who was talked up as a defensive guru. Unlike the Saints we keep holding on to an ineffective coach for "continuity".

Nolan calls the plays, so much of the blame should go to him. I'm tired of hearing what a great coach he WAS in the past. He hasn't done much as a coordinator in his tenure in Atlanta. He's like Steve Spagnulo who was talked up as a defensive guru. Unlike the Saints we keep holding on to an ineffective coach for "continuity".

This is nolan's hybrid of succ and azzclown scheme, which the smittiot is unfamiliar with. He has to go, just plain and simple.

It is laughable how bad our Defense looks

This is Nolan's third year. His defense, despite signings and drafting, has become the absolute worst in the NFL. No improvement, no schemes (remember the Amoeba defense that baffled Peyton and Brees?). To elaborate, Thomas Dimitroff needs to hold the door open while he and Nolan get the **** out of town. We cannot stop the run, we cannot stop slants, we average less than 1 sack per game, we cannot blitz, and we have personel that would not start for any other NFL team. While I am at it, Arthur Blank reflects this teams attitude while standing on the sideline at the end of every game looking lost. Again, injuries have hit us and the wheels are coming off. We score 28 and lose by 13 to a rooking QB, a rooking runnning back, and a butt chewing defense who had no fear of the Atlanta Falcons.I desparately want to keep my seaon tickets until the new dome opens. However this is not worth the money or the time and I see no hope on the horizon.

PS I purposely left off Mike Smith only because he has to play the hand that is dealt him. However no fire, no leadership, the same press conferences after each loss, and some coaching decisions (like the TO before the half that gave Minnesota a chance to score again) that baffle me.

This is Nolans D.

I will say this....our moves this year seemed strangely timed given who else was available.

Couldnt we have spent pretty much the same amount and picked up Linval Joseph and Lamarr Houston? Or Willie Young?

Asamoah was a great signing. Hester has been a great signing. The DB depth has been decent. But the Soliai/Jackson thing seems a bit misguided.