mdrake34

Post The Best Thing You've Seen On The Internet Today, Part 2, Electric Boogaloo

16,093 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

She doesn't want to ef with October's sky Rocket Boy.

I didn't recognize his name. That's one of the best movies ever. Every kid should watch it in school before they graduate.

Wokezone and WhenFalconsWin like this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, JayOzOne said:

I didn't recognize his name. That's one of the best movies ever. Every kid should watch it in school before they graduate.

That movie had a big impact on me.  One of the few movies ever I could say that about 

Edited by T-Falcon
JayOzOne likes this

8 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

Yes, Homer was the kid (Rocket Boy) in 1950's West by God Virginia. 

Just now, WhenFalconsWin said:

Yes, Homer was the kid (Rocket Boy) in 1950's West by God Virginia. 

Yeah, you reminded me with the earlier post. I'm probably going to have to watch "October Sky" again one day soon. I should put shaking his hand on my bucket list.

WhenFalconsWin likes this

1 minute ago, JayOzOne said:

Yeah, you reminded me with the earlier post. I'm probably going to have to watch "October Sky" again one day soon. I should put shaking his hand on my bucket list.

Great movie and a feel good "true story" I love happy endings.  Only part I didn't like was: 1:51 mark, Miss Riley/cancer...don't you cry you sumbish

JayOzOne likes this

3 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Great movie and a feel good "true story" I love happy endings.  Only part I didn't like was: 1:51 mark, Miss Riley/cancer...don't you cry you sumbish

The scene in the coal mine destroyed me. That is literally the last job that I would want to do if all other opportunities dried up. I can't imagine being stooped over hundreds of feet underground for 10 hours a day. My soul would die just a little every day. Props to the men (and women) who have the conviction to do it.

9 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

The scene in the coal mine destroyed me. That is literally the last job that I would want to do if all other opportunities dried up. I can't imagine being stooped over hundreds of feet underground for 10 hours a day. My soul would die just a little every day. Props to the men (and women) who have the conviction to do it.

I've had some bad jobs when I was younger. Roofing, asphalt/concrete road crew, and I hear what you're saying. I forced my self to get an education when I saw gus 30-40 years older than me still doing that job. I knew that wasn't for me, you would feel hopeless like Homer did. I felt bad for him, and I'm glad he got to keep his scholarship. 

Experiences man, we can help the younger generations from avoiding the pitfalls.  Like you said, kudos to the mena nd women that do the jobs not many want to do. That's why I liked to watch Dirty Jobs by Mike Rowe. 

Big_Dog likes this

4 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I've had some bad jobs when I was younger. Roofing, asphalt/concrete road crew, and I hear what you're saying. I forced my self to get an education when I saw gus 30-40 years older than me still doing that job. I knew that wasn't for me, you would feel hopeless like Homer did. I felt bad for him, and I'm glad he got to keep his scholarship. 

Experiences man, we can help the younger generations from avoiding the pitfalls.  Like you said, kudos to the mena nd women that do the jobs not many want to do. That's why I liked to watch Dirty Jobs by Mike Rowe. 

I dropped out after one year of college. Then spent four years enjoying life with my dudes. Partied 4-5 nights per week and was totally rudderless. That's when Mom told me that I had two choices: Pay rent or go to school. I love Mom more than I can ever say because that convo grounded me. Led to an associates degree, a bachelors and ultimately a masters. You don't realize how you're progressing through life until you're way down the road and look back.

And let me add to two of your points:

1. God bless everybody who does those dirty jobs. God bless every teacher, while He's at it. God bless every soldier (and the families of those who serve). And so many others. People don't want to see their sausage being made but somebody has to do it.

2. "True stories" in the films are barely reflective of the lives of the subjects. They're 2-3 hour Cliff's Notes. You can't fairly portray a week of someone's life in the time available in a movie. Important people become composite characters, pivotal events are edited out and the personal truth that none us wants to recognize in our lives gets muted in an attempt to keep the subject's fans from like the movie. Good attempts were "Walk the Line" and "Ray" because they showed the warts and failures of Johnny Cash and Ray Charles.

But most are like "Get On Up", which showed nothing that a James Brown fan didn't already know and portrayed a notorious SOB as if he was less than the miserable wretch that he was. With that said, he was also a remarkable man whose contributions to music and society were immense. Like all of us, he was complicated. And the film captured none of his complication.

Not a fan of biopics.

Porkins and biloxifalcon like this

8 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I hear ya.  At age 12 sold Christmas cards door to door and delivered newspapers from a wood box carrier on handle bars of my bike, at 14 mowed grass for a lawn company for 50 cents an hour, age 17 summer job unloading semi-trailer loads of beef quarters hanging on hooks for $1.10 to build strength for football. Had a scholarship to Tenn but back trouble from the beef toting ruined my playing and I dropped out after 1st year. Today too many youngsters spend time on video games getting soft to real life issues they'll soon face.

6 hours ago, Big_Dog said:

I hear ya.  At age 12 sold Christmas cards door to door and delivered newspapers from a wood box carrier on handle bars of my bike, at 14 mowed grass for a lawn company for 50 cents an hour, age 17 summer job unloading semi-trailer loads of beef quarters hanging on hooks for $1.10 to build strength for football. Had a scholarship to Tenn but back trouble from the beef toting ruined my playing and I dropped out after 1st year. Today too many youngsters spend time on video games getting soft to real life issues they'll soon face.

Which is why calling the cops to SWAT someone over a lost bet during an online game is somehow a reasonable way to react to embarrassment.  Especially when someone (not the guy who beat you) is killed as a result.

Big_Dog likes this

7 hours ago, The Legendary SB said:

BRuce lee isn’t that badass either. 

5 hours ago, JayOzOne said:

Not tryin to go all WFW but this is like 5 years old... Lol