Sharod White, This Week And The Future

Coach_Petrino

It will be interesting to see how much action Roddy gets this week. He's still our best big target possession receiver and should be a huge part of our success or failure this year.

That said, seeing us dismantle the Bucs without Roddy made me wonder how much we will need him going forward. His body seems to be starting to break down, with both knee and hamstring injuries already this season and his injury plagued year in 2013. I often forget he is turning 34 this year. That's pretty old by NFL standards. I often think of Devin Hester as and old guy, but he's only 31 by comparison. We also finally seem to have some other WRs who can pick up the slack when Roddy is out.

Looking at his contract, it's probably realistic to say he only has this year and next year left as a Falcon. In 2016, we would save nearly 2.5M by cutting him (in 2017 we'd save 4.5M), plus his salary increases in both 2016 and 2017. That seems structured to give him bigger numbers while expecting we would potentially cut him after 2015. Maybe by then, Amsterdam will have developed enough to take over Roddy's possession receiver role.

YEAR BASE SIGNING BONUS ROSTER BONUS OPTION BONUS WORKOUT BONUS RESTRUC. BONUS INCENTIVE CAP HIT DEAD 2014 3,000,000 1,887,500 - 1,325,000 - - - 6,212,500 8,875,000 2015 2,200,000 1,887,500 1,500,000 - - - - 5,587,500 5,662,500 2016 2,750,000 1,887,500 1,500,000 - - - - 6,137,500 3,775,000 2017 3,000,000 1,887,500 1,500,000 - - - - 6,387,500 1,887,500

Thoughts?

I think it depends entirely on his production. Roddy is still the man on 3rd down - and he's vital to our game, despite the shellacking we gave the Bucs without him.

If Roddy continues to play at a high level - and continues to bring the locker room leadership - especially among receivers, that he currently does - we'd be foolish to cut him or trade him.

As long as he remains healthy and plays his game - I can see him being there on opening day in the new stadium with a possible contract restructure

Unlike a lot of NFL contracts, Roddy's deal is very evenly distributed and he could finish out his deal, as long as he continues playing at a high level. The $2.4 million "savings" in 2016 would really be costing $4 million to get nothing out of Roddy, and you have to pay his replacement. As long as his play keeps up, I think he's here through 2016 easily.

was weird how he got hurt, i watched the replay over and over and he made a great play but it looked like he was favoring his knee after the big gain. Hope he's healthy against Minn

He says he is and would ha e played last week if it were a Sunday game. The long week is just what we needed to get healthy.

I wasn't advocating that we cut him. It just crossed my mind with his increased injuries and our production last week without him. I agree that he is one of our main leaders and basically is a true Falcon in the same way that Hines Ward was to the Steelers.

I agree that he's still producing when on the field, so hopefully he can kick the injuries and keep it rolling for another couple years.

I wasn't advocating that we cut him. It just crossed my mind with his increased injuries and our production last week without him. I agree that he is one of our main leaders and basically is a true Falcon in the same way that Hines Ward was to the Steelers.

I agree that he's still producing when on the field, so hopefully he can kick the injuries and keep it rolling for another couple years.

Just picking anyway man. ^_^

I know what you were saying.

he's making less than tony g in his deal and when we drop kroy's contract and with the cap going up every year.....the contract is actually team friendly....we have 8 mil in dead cap space to guys named tyson clabo, stephen nicholas and tony g...yet we still have 5 mil in cap space.....regardless of how much of great teammate and leader roddy is....his contract is no financial issue now or going foward