Nfl Warning Has William Moore Hitting Strike Zone Now

OC

http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/8489/william-moore-hitting-the-strike-zone-now

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Atlanta Falcons strong safety William Moore said a preseason warning from the NFL served as even more of a wake-up call for him to avoid illegal hits.

Moore, the team's third-leading tackler with 23 stops, has yet to be flagged or fined for an illegal hit through three games after being fined almost $75,000 last year. He told ESPN he received a warning letter from the league this summer.

"My eyes have been open for a while," Moore said. "They just warned me to watch out for my hits. But I can't think about just myself. I've got to think about that it puts my team in messed up situations when I get a 15-yard penalty."

The Falcons have been flagged for unnecessary roughness twice this season, both on offensive players: receiver Roddy White and tackle Lamar Holmes. Moore's lone penalty thus far was a defensive pass interference.

"I'm becoming a smarter football player, No. 1," Moore said. "That's not in my plan to go out there and be cautious. Some of my previous penalties, they weren't dumb. They were just hitting the guy helmet-to-helmet.

"It's a long season, so I don't want to jinx myself. I just have to pick my battles. I can't afford those flags."

Falcons coach Mike Smith appreciates Moore's attempt to tone down the illegal hits. Moore was flagged for unnecessary roughness three times last season and five times in the three seasons prior to that, including three times during the 2010 campaign. He didn't play much as a rookie in 2009.

"There's a strike zone and that's something that we really emphasized this offseason, not just to William, but to everyone," Smith said. "One of the areas we wanted to improve in was our tackling. So far, I think we've done a good job of tackling, specifically William in terms of understanding what the strike zone is and what's safe for him and safe for the player he's going against.

"I think he's done a very good job through the first three games. I think a lot of it has to do with the emphasis that we put in during the offseason. Even though you can't practice in pads, we worked on different drills with tackling. And I think it has paid dividends."

Moore's fines from last season included $22,050 for hitting former Seattle Seahawks receiverGolden Tate, $21,000 for violating the crown-of-the-helmet rule against the New Orleans Saints in the season opener, $15,750 for striking Arizona Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmerwith the crown, and $15,700 for striking New England receiver Kenbrell Thompkins in the head.

Moore saved a little money in the end.

"I won two appeals," Moore said. "One, I think, got wiped away completely. And the other one was reduced. I can't even remember the numbers. I just know I was happy when I looked in the mail one day."

Moore doesn't want to end up like Washington's Brandon Meriweather, who was suspended for his illegal hits. If he continues to keep his hits clean, Moore won't have to worry about waiting on a FedEx envelope

The NFL needs to start reviewing questionably ruled illegal hits during games.

A good bit of those ruled illegal hits are not really illegal once you look at them in non-game speed.

The hit on Foles during the Redskins game turned out to not be an illegal hit after the league office reviewed it on tuesday. Which really does nothing because the Redskins were already penalized during the game so that ruling affected the game.

It only saves the Skins player who applied the hit, money in his pocket but he still was negatively penalized during the game.

WillyMo ain't always ready. Not since he signed the fat tract after his Pro Bowl "Alternate" season in 2012. He has missed tackles, blown coverages and made few, if any impact plays. He's one of my favs but he needs to RTFU and lead by example since he is one of the defensive leaders. I think the money just went to his head. He just never looked the same since the big payoff. If he doesn't rise this year I think we should DeCoud him and get a strong safety back there that's hungry. Ish and Lowery are even playing better than him right now. And for those out there who like PFF, here are his overall numbers over the last three years: 2012 (+5.7), 2013 (-1.6), 2014 (-2.6). angry.png

WillyMo ain't always ready. Not since he signed the fat tract after his Pro Bowl "Alternate" season in 2012. He has missed tackles, blown coverages and made few, if any impact plays. He's one of my favs but he needs to RTFU and lead by example since he is one of the defensive leaders. I think the money just went to his head. He just never looked the same since the big payoff. If he doesn't rise this year I think we should DeCoud him and get a strong safety back there that's hungry. Ish and Lowery are even playing better than him right now. And for those out there who like PFF, here are his overall numbers over the last three years: 2012 (+5.7), 2013 (-1.6), 2014 (-2.6). angry.png

agreed to an extent, he did cause the fumble to wins us the game week one, but he has to play better. I wonder if this strike zone thing is making him play hesitant a lil. willy mo needs to play with that fire and passion, if it cost us a couple of yds so e it

Yes, he hasn't played at his pre contract level, but he has made some impact plays. Agreed that he does need to rise up though, if nothing else than his consistency. He still has flashes, but they are more muted now with his other bonehead plays. There were reports that he lost a bit of weight this offseason, and I hope that translates to better coverage and flying more quickly to the ball.

Yes, he hasn't played at his pre contract level, but he has made some impact plays. Agreed that he does need to rise up though, if nothing else than his consistency. He still has flashes, but they are more muted now with his other bonehead plays. There were reports that he lost a bit of weight this offseason, and I hope that translates to better coverage and flying more quickly to the ball.

I keep hearing that but when I see pic or watch him in games he looks the same size to me or a lil bigger

He definitely looks smaller this year. He looked like a fat mess last year. Rise Willy.

*I hate this stupid rule I think it makes defenders think about tackling rather than reacting!*

Maybe now he'll finally stop doing his torpedo move that makes him miss tackles all the time. Not a bad thing for him to play smarter imo.

Both of these positions seem right to me, but it is a very fine line. He shouldn't be lowering his eyes and going full torpedo, but he (and many other players) needs to tackle instinctively which will only come with work to change lifelong patterns, and time...

Both of these positions seem right to me, but it is a very fine line. He shouldn't be lowering his eyes and going full torpedo, but he (and many other players) needs to tackle instinctively which will only come with work to change lifelong patterns, and time...

Great post my man! I think it's all about practicing the proper technique which should hopefully be instinctively correct.

Good post, and you're right, it is a fine line. Hopefully Mo' can find the right balance fairly quickly.

Watching tape of other players on our D this season, WillyMo has stuck out to me and not in a positive way. Namely missed tackles, I don't know why he's being heralded for tackling better when he really hasn't. He still does his stupid torpedo thing, did it Thursday against the Bucs and missed the tackle

It's a shame cause he really used to be a beast