Where Does Trufant Rank Among League Corners?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the top 20.

34hxwug.jpg

Its way too early in the season to look at these. The sample sizes are too small.

It's interesting that nearly half of the yards Trufant has given up came on that Sanu trick play.

This basically sums up my "small sample size" argument.

I don't understand how they rank these. I haven't watched the Seahawks but how is Sherman not top 20?

I think Sherman is overrated. Definitely top 5, but teams are starting to find ways to stop these big WR's/DB's. Sherman looks amazing when nobody ever throws at him, but from what I have seen the corners that start to get the "Dont throw at him" treatment usually arent as good as people think they are. Look at Nnamdi a few years back, Revis, Sherman....these guys arent unstoppable. Revis was close for a few years, but even he was never perfect. Sherman can be beat by small WRs. You also just have to test him. The Packers strategy against him was foolish and lost them that game. He just didnt warrant that kind of gameplan.

Trufant is behind: Revis, Sherman, Peterson, Talib and probably Haden (despite his poor start to this year).

Trufant is at least Top 10 at this point and he's probably closer to 5 than 10.

Alford has a ways to go but he's improving a lot.

Do you really think he is a top 5-10 guy? I think he is very good but I havent seen anyone rank him that high. I see him comparable to a Leon Hall right now

I don't understand how they rank these. I haven't watched the Seahawks but how is Sherman not top 20?

It's how they performed in 3 games so there is a small sample size and I don't believe the grades consider who they lined up against.

Sherman has been consistent and played well in his 1st 3 games.

Alford played good in the 1st game, bad in the 2nd game, and great in the 3rd game. The 3rd game really brings his grade up.

So you have to take the grades with a grain of salt. It's just another method of evaluation.

These grades mainly reflect if a player has been playing bad or been playing well. How players line up to each other is more complicated.

So you can say Fuller is the highest graded DB in the NFL it doesn't mean he's the best.... just that he's been playing well.

Trufant top 10 top 15.......

Alford def top 20....

Just too early in their career to tell but it is interesting to see

two guys that came to Atlanta at the same time play the same position

and have success and grow together...

Just a few more holes to fill, a little more time and game experience...

we'll have a top 5 defense

I don't agree with some of the decisions TD has made but

something tells me Nolan had something to do with the players we've drafted the last few years.

Do you really think he is a top 5-10 guy? I think he is very good but I havent seen anyone rank him that high. I see him comparable to a Leon Hall right now

Honestly, I do. I think he's in situation where a lot is asked of him because of the poor pass rush. And aside from some lapses during the preseason, the guy is really really on point.

You see it when you watch him. The advanced stats back it up. He's really really good.

1. Tramon Williams (GB) +4.2

Allowed a mere 16 yards on 11 targets through two games.

2. Corey Graham (BUF) +4.1

Wanted to come home to Buffalo and showing just how much that means to him.

3. Aqib Talib (DEN) +3.8

His less than auspicious end to 2013 is looking more and more health related by the game.

4. Antonio Cromartie (ARZ) +3.5

Another player showing last year was an aberration to the norm.

5. Leon Hall (CIN) +3.1

Returning from injury, the eight-year veteran only took a game to get back to his very best.

6. Darius Slay (DET) +2.9

The sophomore corner has talent and is currently making his personnel department not regret eschewing corner in the draft.

7. Desmond Trufant (ATL) +2.8

Still looking every bit the special talent he appeared in 2013.

8. Chris Harris Jr. (DEN) +2.5

Everyone talked about Ryan Clady and Von Miller missing the Super Bowl, but Harris was just as big a loss.

9t. Sam Shields (GB) +2.3

Giving the Packers two Top-10 corners. Plays better than his base numbers suggest

9t. Cortland Finnegan (MIA) +2.3

Working towards redemption in Miami after crashing and burning in St. Louis.per profootball focus as of week 2

Not yet. He's top 15,maybe top 10 but he ain't in the top 5 elite category yet. Without truly watching all the others, it's kinda hard to place a true number to his rank

Without watching all the others AND having some subjective quantifiable data to support what you see, HOW can you determine that Trufant is indeed NOT already Top 10, or even Top 5??!!! ph34r.png

Without watching all the others AND having some subjective quantifiable data to support what you see, HOW can you determine that Trufant is indeed NOT already Top 10, or even Top 5??!!! ph34r.png

for one he hasn't been tested enough to truly be labeled a top 5 corner 3 games into his sophomore year. Nnamdi asomugha was rarely tested and people labeled him a shutdown corner and next thing Ya know, EXPOSED. If you want to get technical, I'm sure there aren't that many people in this very thread who can honestly say they have watched the others to say whether or not he is top 5 or not. BTW, I watch more teams than the Falcons so I have had the pleasure of watching the other top corners in the game. I just don't make it a point to go and compare every player at every position

I sorry cant agree that trufant is top 5 .... top 15 is more like it ... with Revis, Sherman, Talib, Peterson, and Haden auto Top 5 ... then u have Cromartie, Grimes, Tillman, then Trufant can fit in that 10 to 15 spot ...

Big names, but aside from Sherman and Talib, I don't see it translating on the field. Haden is good, but I don't think he is automatically top 5. A top 5 CB doesn't let a 64 year old Steve Smith beat him like that with the game on the line.

1. Tramon Williams (GB) +4.2

Allowed a mere 16 yards on 11 targets through two games.

2. Corey Graham (BUF) +4.1

Wanted to come home to Buffalo and showing just how much that means to him.

3. Aqib Talib (DEN) +3.8

His less than auspicious end to 2013 is looking more and more health related by the game.

4. Antonio Cromartie (ARZ) +3.5

Another player showing last year was an aberration to the norm.

5. Leon Hall (CIN) +3.1

Returning from injury, the eight-year veteran only took a game to get back to his very best.

6. Darius Slay (DET) +2.9

The sophomore corner has talent and is currently making his personnel department not regret eschewing corner in the draft.

7. Desmond Trufant (ATL) +2.8

Still looking every bit the special talent he appeared in 2013.

8. Chris Harris Jr. (DEN) +2.5

Everyone talked about Ryan Clady and Von Miller missing the Super Bowl, but Harris was just as big a loss.

9t. Sam Shields (GB) +2.3

Giving the Packers two Top-10 corners. Plays better than his base numbers suggest

9t. Cortland Finnegan (MIA) +2.3

Working towards redemption in Miami after crashing and burning in St. Louis.per profootball focus as of week 2

I don't like using their stats because they don't break them down. I want to see catch rate, yards, and TD's. Those I can translate. I think they over-value INT's and under-value yards and TD's. I would rank a CB higher if the catch rate throwing at him is 35% for 100 yards with no picks than a CB with 2 picks but a 60% completion for 300 yards and 1 TD. I don't know what their formula would say in that comparison. Often times, picks are a bad throw, a deflection where the coverage wasn't that great, or a tip into their hands when they weren't positioned for the breakup. How do you give a lot of positive value for somebody else gifting you a pick in not so great coverage? Catch rate and yards give me a better picture of individual CB contribution.