How Good Are Our Cb's?

pzummo

I just read a fantasy football stat I thought I would share. I have to say, I'm very surprised by this, especially after having two of our games against the Saints and Bengals. But...

The Falcons have allowed the fewest completions to opposing WR's in the entire NFL. 8.3 completions per game to WR's against our CB's (25 completions in 3 games). That is VERY impressive. If you don't think that sounds that impressive, just realize that is for our opponents ENTIRE WR depth chart, not just their top WR. Also consider that Julio by himself is averaging 7.7 receptions per game so far.

Now if we could just shore up against the TE's and RB's, we'll be in serious business. We have allowed 14 completions per game to RB's and TE's. Ouch.

Discuss...

Our corners haven't been a problem for a while even back with Samuels. The middle of the field has been the Achilles heel of our defense. Dating back to the playoff lost to Arizona big play after big play have been giving up on the seems from LBS mostly and sometimes safeties

Guest facelessman07

We'll have the best tandem in the league as they mature. Come payday it's gonna hurt though! Well worth it! ^_^

Thankfully the salary cap will skyrocket. We need to keep both!

We'll have the best tandem in the league as they mature. Come payday it's gonna hurt though! Well worth it! ^_^

Its that pay day you're speaking of that is the only single downside to this. I think ultimately tho having these dbs for the foreseeable future at a bargain price will actually really help the front office by allowing it to focus on the front 7. Not enough people give Dimitrov credit for this either. Those two consecutive picks last year alone are paying huge dividends.

One thing that I realized during the Bucs game is that Trufant has a really nice vertical.

His vertical on that play where he had the ball in his hands but dropped it was really impressive. It would of been even better if he had held onto the ball though.

Yep, he has height and a good vertical which makes it impressive. He might not have Brent Grimes type vertical but he uses his height well.

I just read a fantasy football stat I thought I would share. I have to say, I'm very surprised by this, especially after having two of our games against the Saints and Bengals. But...

The Falcons have allowed the fewest completions to opposing WR's in the entire NFL. 8.3 completions per game to WR's against our CB's (25 completions in 3 games). That is VERY impressive. If you don't think that sounds that impressive, just realize that is for our opponents ENTIRE WR depth chart, not just their top WR. Also consider that Julio by himself is averaging 7.7 receptions per game so far.

Now if we could just shore up against the TE's and RB's, we'll be in serious business. We have allowed 14 completions per game to RB's and TE's. Ouch.

Discuss...

What's the link? I'm dying to show this to someone

If we get lucky and he can actually play next year, I'd love to see what our defense would look like with Weatherspoon. He has the most physical ability out of all our linebackers, and paired with Shembo we could be a really good in the middle.

If we do the right thing and sign Houston or Orakpo, I would be for us signing a free safety in the first. We have most of the pieces to be not just a decent defense but a really good one. Once we get a pass rush, all of the other gears will begin to turn beautifully.

Other than that one pass TD that Alford gave up deep to Sanu in the Bengals game, he has looked pretty good.

Trufant has looked great, still needs to train with Roddy to improve his hands though. McClain has bounced back a bit, not as good as his 2012 play but he has been decent.

This. Once Des works on his hands, he's gonna be able to shut down one side of the field.

We'll have the best tandem in the league as they mature. Come payday it's gonna hurt though! Well worth it! happy.png

By the time they both gotta get paid, there's a pretty decent chance Roddy, Baker, SJax, Spoon, Osi, Babs, Soliai, HD and Blaylock won't be on the books, so we should be able to handle it.

I personally would never care if Tru becomes a great TO CB. I am perfectly happy with excellent coverage alone. Take that all day over some ints here and there.

You need ints every now and then to change possessions rather than an incomplete that can keep a drive going.

You need ints every now and then to change possessions rather than an incomplete that can keep a drive going.

In Tuggle's defense, a lot of CB's that get a lot of INT's either gamble alot (meaning they get burnt as well), or they have a ridiculous passrush allowing them to jump routes more frequently. I would prefer Trufant not gamble and allow 40% completion throwing at him with the other 60% getting knocked away incomplete than him gambling and racking up 5 INT's. I agree with him. I'd prefer a CB that can be trusted to lock down his side of the field than one that averages a pick every other game but require Safety help to stop big plays when they gamble wrong.