Review Of The Offense - After 3 Games - In Smith Era

Tandy

Since Smitty became HC in 2008, up until last year at least, we've had winning seasons every year. We've had our post season woes, but in this case, I just focused on how our year started each year - and how it ended in the prior years.

We know our two best regular season records during this time was in 2010 and in 2012, but I also wanted to point out that we seem to excel in "even" numbered years. This is an even numbered year - so here's to following the trend!

One thing I noticed is how we've moved from a power running game to the passing game over time. How do you think that has affected us - and do you see us moving back in that direction or are those days gone? Just curious about what you think.

Here are the numbers after our first 3 games this year followed by the same time period in the proceeding 6 years:

Passing

79/115 = 68.7% comp.

1001 yds. 7 TD, 4 INT

101.4 QB rating

Rushing

80 attempts/364 yds/ 4 TD

Record

2-1

Points for: 103

Points against: 72

==================================================================

Passing

81/119 = 68.1% comp.

909 yds. 6 TD, 2 INT

100.4 QB rating

Rushing

60 attempts/270 yds/ 1 TD

Record

1-2

Points for: 71

Points against: 74

Ended with a 4-12 record / 353 points for / 443 against

================================================================

Passing

77/107 = 72.0% comp.

793 yds. 8 TD, 1 INT

114.0 QB rating

Rushing

77 attempts/270 yds/ 3 TD

Record

3-0

Points for: 94

Points against: 48

Ended with a 13-3 record / 419 points for / 299 against

===============================================================

Passing

74/122 = 60.7% comp.

844 yds. 5 TD, 4 INT

81.5 QB rating

Rushing

58 attempts/278 yds/ 1 TD

Record

1-2

Points for: 60

Points against: 77

Ended with a 10-6 record / 402 points for / 350 against

Passing

67/106 = 63.2% comp.

705 yds. 5 TD, 1 INT

94.3 QB rating

Rushing

120 attempts/481 yds/ 3 TD

Record

2-1

Points for: 77

Points against: 48

Ended with a 13-3 record / 414 points for / 288 against

Passing

60/91 = 65.9% comp.

648 yds. 5 TD, 1 INT

100.4 QB rating

Rushing

81 attempts/277 yds/ 2 TD

Record

2-1

Points for: 57

Points against: 53

Ended with a 9-7 record / 363 points for / 325 against

Passing

34/64 = 53.1% comp.

511 yds. 2 TD, 2 INT

77.0 QB rating

Rushing

106 attempts/609 yds/ 6 TD

Record

2-1

Points for: 81

Points against: 59

Ended with a 11-5 record / 391 points for / 325 against

Personally...id like to see a higher percentage of runs called...especially against good defenses on the road...especially after a good run play. If my oline is gashing people...im gonna run the ball more.

In the saints game...late...we were straight gashing them...especially on the left side. But we kept throwing the ball...giving brees the ball back with little time off the clock.

Say what ya want....but nothing takes the hair off the other teams sack like being gashed in the run game 7 to 8 yards a whack.

I think we migrated toward being a pass first offense with a sense of purpose. Rule changes have benefited the passing game as we have transitioned. IMO, having Rich Mckay on the committee probably gave us great insight to these rule changes and how they would benefit a strong passing game.

Matt Ryan deserves a lot of credit for his growth as a quarterback in this league. His work ethic seems to be second to none. The Falcons' brass and coaching staff also deserve credit for how they have brought him along. Building a strong running game in Ryan's early years to allow him the time to grow as a nfl quarterback.

This era of Falcons' football is giving us our best opportunity to win a championship. There have been decent Falcons teams in the past but the window of opportunity has always slammed shut as fast as it opened.

Personally...id like to see a higher percentage of runs called...especially against good defenses on the road...especially after a good run play. If my oline is gashing people...im gonna run the ball more.

In the saints game...late...we were straight gashing them...especially on the left side. But we kept throwing the ball...giving brees the ball back with little time off the clock.

Say what ya want....but nothing takes the hair off the other teams sack like being gashed in the run game 7 to 8 yards a whack.

I like having the run game working as well. I love having the ability to hang with the passers when we need it - but I like running it down their throat even more. If you hit them hard enough, often enough early - it's katy bar the door down the stretch.

I know the air game is more exciting - and I love it when it's moving smooth - but there is something to be said for controlling the ball too - and giving the defense some time on the sidelines. I think that is what pays off in the post season and in the outdoor games later in the season. I'm actually optimistic about where our running game is so far this year.

Nice breakdown but it maybe should've been the first four games. I like the trend, looks like this should be the best season yet.

Maybe I'll do one at the end of each month - like September numbers, October Numbers, etc. - what do you think?

I think we migrated toward being a pass first offense with a sense of purpose. Rule changes have benefited the passing game as we have transitioned. IMO, having Rich Mckay on the committee probably gave us great insight to these rule changes and how they would benefit a strong passing game.

Matt Ryan deserves a lot of credit for his growth as a quarterback in this league. His work ethic seems to be second to none. The Falcons' brass and coaching staff also deserve credit for how they have brought him along. Building a strong running game in Ryan's early years to allow him the time to grow as a nfl quarterback.

This era of Falcons' football is giving us our best opportunity to win a championship. There have been decent Falcons teams in the past but the window of opportunity has always slammed shut as fast as it opened.

Man, I hope you are right. I still think we have to have a good run game in the cold weather away games to survive - especially post season, but I agree - the rules are clearly better for the passer now.

However, if our defense has gelled enough to show improvement over the past years - and our offense can produce on the road - outdoors - in the cold, I think we are truly on our way to taking those final steps.

I think once people try to spread out to contain our passing attack the run game will improve. Matty Ice is smart enough to check into a run if it's in our advantage. I don't know do much about two tightends with a full back power runs working though. Maybe if Carimi gets a foothold at RT. He is a mauler

Why wasn't the title of the thread appropriately named "During the Matt Ryan era" instead of the Smith era?

Because Smitty determines what offense we will utilize, not Ryan. Ryan may have input for sure, but he's not the one who makes the final personnel decisions or the play book.

Plus - it's total offense - not just Ryan's numbers. For instance - he only played slightly into the 3rd quarter in the game against the Bucs. T.J. Yates put up some of the passing numbers.

Ryan's numbers for 2014 are 76/111 for 68.5%, 965 yards, 7 TD, 3 Int and a rating of 105.1

Yates' numbers for 2014 are 3/4 for 75%, 64 yards, 0 TD, 1 Int and a rating of 77.1

When we get further into the season - in 2009, Ryan missed almost 3 full games - you have Redman's stats which will be included in the offense.

Because Smitty determines what offense we will utilize, not Ryan. Ryan may have input for sure, but he's not the one who makes the final personnel decisions or the play book.

Plus - it's total offense - not just Ryan's numbers. For instance - he only played slightly into the 3rd quarter in the game against the Bucs. T.J. Yates put up some of the passing numbers.

Ryan's numbers for 2014 are 76/111 for 68.5%, 965 yards, 7 TD, 3 Int and a rating of 105.1

Yates' numbers for 2014 are 3/4 for 75%, 64 yards, 0 TD, 1 Int and a rating of 77.1

When we get further into the season - in 2009, Ryan missed almost 3 full games - you have Redman's stats which will be included in the offense.

Since when has Smith been remotely involved in the offense??? You act like he is sean Payton walking the sidelines with a play sheet in his hand. Mike Smith does not run the offense sorry!

Since when has Smith been remotely involved in the offense??? You act like he is sean Payton walking the sidelines with a play sheet in his hand. Mike Smith does not run the offense sorry!

I don't believe Smith calls any plays period. It's funny when Smitty gets blamed for being conservative when he isn't the one calling the plays. I'm sure he suggests but I think it's on the coordinators for the calls

Edited by Nino11

if that's the case, it's the first and ONLY time having rich on the rules committee has benefited us at all.

I don't believe Smith calls any plays period. It's funny when Dmitry gets blamed for being conservative when he isn't the one calling the plays. I'm sure he suggests but I think it's on the coordinators for the calls

I wonder how many other posters really believe that Smith is involved in the offensive play design or play calling? Maybe that is why he gets so much credit on these MB. I think that it is just hilarious that many here think that he is responsible for the development of Matt Ryan and the offense.

I wonder how many other posters really believe that Smith is involved in the offensive play design or play calling? Maybe that is why he gets so much credit on these MB. I think that it is just hilarious that many here think that he is responsible for the development of Matt Ryan and the offense.

Smitty is responsible for the OC on the team. He's responsible for all the personnel. He's the guy who makes the calls on whether or not we go no huddle. He makes the calls on 4th down.

He may not call the plays - but he's involved in the game plan, don't think for one second he's not. His decisions on the sideline for no huddle, going for it on 4th down - field goal or try all, even whether to challenge a play - all greatly affect the offense and the success of the team.

So yeah, it's his offense - even if the OC is the guy with the plan for the game and the one calling the plays.

He may not call the plays - but he's involved in the game plan, don't think for one second he's not. His decisions on the sideline for no huddle, going for it on 4th down - field goal or try all, even whether to challenge a play - all greatly affect the offense and the success of the team.

So yeah, it's his offense - even if the OC is the guy with the plan for the game and the one calling the plays.

What evidence do you have to support such a claim?

Ryan's pass rating would have been through the rough in 2012 if not for the blessed cardinals and raiders games.

Yep, if you remove those 2 games - his numbers for the year would be:

370/532 = 69.5%

4169 yards

31 TD, 6 Int

107.4 QB rating

Since we won both games though - no need to remove them tongue.png

If we just remove the interceptions for those 2 games, his rating for the year would be 110.1 - which would have led the league.