The Falcons Defense

doveboss26

I've said from the beginning if this D was going to turn into anything good it would take 16 games for this defense to be truly ready and hitting on all cylinders for a Super Bowl run.

I also think after the first two games we realized we don't have the talent yet to have run stuffers in the game and also get after the QB, we have to dedicate our selves to stopping one or the other on a play and hope Trufant and that secondary can hold up well enough. So I truly believe our philosophy and personnel will evolve into what is the absolute best fit for this defense in all situations.

We all know some things will be tweaked with the players, looking right at Kroy here, but I believe Thursday night was a great step in the right direction for this defense.

We were able to really try different personnel groupings together and we saw some good results from it. Peters did well beside a space eater, saw Map and Mass rushing on the same play at times as well.

IMO Thursday night was huge for this D. I still believe the philosophy and groupings will evolve, over the next few weeks, into the best possible defense we can have this year. I for one feel very confident with the longer week the coaches can really study what truly works with this defense and it will start to improve weekly.

With two new guys on DL, a new safety, and multiple players playing positions that they haven't played since college (if ever), it was inevitable for the defense to take time to gel. I still don't know if we are going to be a good D, but it stands to reason that the longer guys play together, the more they will get used to each other. My problem with the Bungles game was more scheme and effort on both sides of the ball. I still have hopes that we'll have a serviceable defense by the end of the year but I'm hoping that we can win enough between now and then that we'll make the playoffs with a full head of steam.

Guest Negatorris

Just don't see it. When has our defense ever improved throughout the year? They've always done the opposite. We don't have the talent or good enough coaching.

Obviously I would love if I was wrong.

Guest Negatorris

they've been improving throughout the games though

Not really. Tackling was still bad even in the Sucs beatdown.

We faced an elite QB in the first game, then Dalton, and then McCown/Glennon. The points allowed have gone down but that's because the quality of offenses we have faced are noticeably decreasing with each week. I really have yet to see anything promising from this defense.

Peters intrigues me. I like him when he's sniffing out screens and such. He seems to have a nose for the ball and it looks as it the play just magnetizes to him. And then all of the sudden he forgets his meds and gets all bi-polar (Ha polarities get it? yeah its a magnetic field joke/pun) and he uses some alien technology to repel the player holding the football.

Aside from peters and soliai our D line is overpowered ambien at best.

Not sure if there are any real options to make it better this year. If we go 9-7 or 10-6 and wildcard the playoffs or win the NFC south then its a win and a lose. I think we can ride the offense to the NFC championship game but I don't see us winning it with this Defense.

Not really. Tackling was still bad even in the Sucs beatdown.

We faced an elite QB in the first game, then Dalton, and then McCown/Glennon. The points allowed have gone down but that's because the quality of offenses we have faced are noticeably decreasing with each week. I really have yet to see anything promising from this defense.

The merit of the argument that if you have 8 new starters on an 11 man defense, they will need time to gel before they play at a peak level is a point that seems completely over your head.

I don't even think you understand what the term means, how having 8 new starters could make you look worse than you are when going up against a very good veteran offense , how gelling and learning each other's tendencies could tighten everything up.

Shembo, Peters and Maponga saw more action. Peters showed that

DT's can impact a game and do more than stand around "eating space."

Worrilow's tackles normalized because his teammates started getting into

the act more. I still do not have a handle on what Nolan is doing most of the

time. So I think we are still feeling our way toward something better.

the coaches are still trying to figure out what combination of players to play in different situations.....this is a very fluid situation...its gonna be changing all season and next season too because we have so many young guys that are developing....this defense doesn't have to dominate...just be solid and steady, but above average at one particular thing.....stop the run or force low completion percentages

Shembo, Peters and Maponga saw more action. Peters showed that

DT's can impact a game and do more than stand around "eating space."

Worrilow's tackles normalized because his teammates started getting into

the act more. I still do not have a handle on what Nolan is doing most of the

time. So I think we are still feeling our way toward something better.

I like our DTs...we have enough different kinds of guys that open up different game plans.

I've said from the beginning if this D was going to turn into anything good it would take 16 games for this defense to be truly ready and hitting on all cylinders for a Super Bowl run.

I also think after the first two games we realized we don't have the talent yet to have run stuffers in the game and also get after the QB, we have to dedicate our selves to stopping one or the other on a play and hope Trufant and that secondary can hold up well enough. So I truly believe our philosophy and personnel will evolve into what is the absolute best fit for this defense in all situations.

We all know some things will be tweaked with the players, looking right at Kroy here, but I believe Thursday night was a great step in the right direction for this defense.

We were able to really try different personnel groupings together and we saw some good results from it. Peters did well beside a space eater, saw Map and Mass rushing on the same play at times as well.

IMO Thursday night was huge for this D. I still believe the philosophy and groupings will evolve, over the next few weeks, into the best possible defense we can have this year. I for one feel very confident with the longer week the coaches can really study what truly works with this defense and it will start to improve weekly.

8 of 11 new positions.

I agree. The more games they play together and the more snaps the younger players (Shembo and Hageman) get, the better they will become as a unit.

I agree. The more games they play together and the more snaps the younger players (Shembo and Hageman) get, the better they will become as a unit.

. Especially when it comes to stopping the run. Run defense is predicated on 11 guys all being on exactly the same page. Once they all know each other's tendencies, once they've played together a few more games, defense will tighten up.

Tampa averages 5 yards per carry on the season. We held them to 3.6 yards per carry. And their opponents have been Carolina and St Louis, both known for their defenses. I'd say our defense is coming around pretty well. We are currently ranked 17th in rushing ypc allowed at 4.1.

P.S. We are all the way up to 16th in 3rd down conversion percentage allowed. And it's not due to an easy schedule. NO's is 1st in the league converting 3rd downs at a rate of 62%.

Just don't see it. When has our defense ever improved throughout the year? They've always done the opposite. We don't have the talent or good enough coaching.

Obviously I would love if I was wrong.

Maybe in other years you would be right, but you saw many different combinations used on Thursday night already.

We have so many players that excel at one thing instead of many things and it's obvious we are still figuring out how to use them in a real gameplan attack.

I look for our groupings to hammer out into the best situation possible this year over the next few weeks.

Peters changes a lot for this defense. If we could someway somehow get Houston from the Chiefs that would transform this defense.

When Peters plays the way he did he absolutely changes things for this defense.

As for Houston, I think everyone would love to have him but I'm really interested in seeing what this D can do with Mass and Map rushing off the edge.

8 of 11 new positions.

This is true. There was a massive amount of turnover for that unit, which was badly needed, but you have to consider a lot of them are new to the scheme and haven't had all that much time to gel with each other. I'm remaining cautiously optimistic that they'll improve. Hopefully to middle of the pack tier.

I also want to add that I believe Babs is still playing too many snaps. He's been very effective for us so far and we need to keep him fresh.

Maybe more Goodman or Hageman at DE in the 3-4. More Peters at DT in run situations and then let Babs go all out vs the Pass.

Either way there are literally tons of ways to group our combinations and there are tons of situations to have a grouping for.