Kroy Biermann: Time For A Change?

theProf

Kroy Biermann: Time for a Change?

By The DW @TheWalkerman on Sep 20 2014, 6:12p

It doesn't take much to figure out when the backlash against Kroy Biermann started to gain momentum. During a short segment of Hard Knocks while talking to the linebackers coach, Atlanta fans saw Biermann admit that he didn't yet trust his surgically repaired achilles, which was injured early during the 2013 season. It seemed to be a moment where the flames were fueled a bit brighter and his performance since then has not inspired confidence.

Local media has also been less than kind to Kroy, with some claiming that he's a coach favorite who is played in spite of his performance.

Fans have latched onto the idea, with some even calling for the veteran to be cut outright. But is his performance really that poor, or is there more to the story?

How 2014 is going so far

For our purposes, we're going to use PFF numbers to make our evaluations. Let's take a look at how Kroy has been doing so far in 2014:

Game Snaps Overall Grade Run Defense Pass Rush New Orleans 69/76 -1.6 +1.5 -2.3 Cincinatti 56/72 -3.6 -1.2 -0.6 Tampa Bay 39/60 -0.8 +0.8 -0.7 Totals 164 -6.0 +1.1 -3.6

If you're in the "get rid of Kroy" camp, these numbers probably don't surprise you. While he's been pretty good against the run, he's just not getting it done as a pass rusher. To that point, through 3 games, he's had 67 snaps as a pass rusher and has registered 0 sacks, 1 QB hit, and 4 QB hurries. By comparison, Jonathan Massaquoi and Stansly Maponga - through 3 games - have 46 snaps as pass rushers combined, with the majority of those coming in the Tampa Bay game.

It should be noted that Kroy's total snaps have declined each game while Massaquoi and Maponga have gotten more each game. Additionally, while Maponga plays the same position as Kroy - LOLB - Massaquoi is primarily used as a ROLB, so his snaps aren't necessarily being impacted by Kroy.

Performance from 2008 to 2013

Let's take a quick look at Kroy's performance over the years to see if there's a reason behind the coaching staff continuing to give him the majority of defensive snaps.

Year Overall Run Defense Pass Rush 2008 +3.0 -1.4 +3.7 2009 +6.9 +1.5 +3.1 2010 +4.8 -1.8 +8.2 2011 -16.7 -10.1 -5.0 2012 -6.1 +3.5 -9.3 2013 +0.1 +2.3 -0.7

As you can see, at one point, Kroy graded out strongly as a pass rusher, while his run defense has been hit and miss. But in 2011, his scores dipped considerably. Whether it was due to the signing of Ray Edwards (*shudder*) or some other factor, it's pretty clear that Kroy hasn't been able to get after the QB very well since the 2011 season.

But, these numbers also indicate that Kroy - at one point - was able to deliver. So, it's not unreasonable to think he might be able to do so again, but recent history suggests he's not done it a while - at least as a pass rusher.

What are the options

So, if Kroy isn't getting it done, what are the realistic options?

Well, let's first acknowledge that Kroy has done well in run defense not only this year, but for the past couple of years. So, the idea that Kroy doesn't have anything to offer is simply not true. You can argue that he doesn't offer much as a pass rusher - and the recent stats back that up - but he does have value.

But what of the pass rush? Well, for starters, guys like Massaquoi and Maponga should absolutely get more opportunities to go after the QB. Considering that both guys registered sacks against the Bucs, there's evidence that they have something to offer in that capacity.

While neither is likely to be a major force as a pass rusher, if they can each contribute between 3-5 sacks, it will be something.

So where does that leave us with Biermann? Well, for starters, he's a free agent after this season - so those hoping to see him no longer in a Falcons uniform may get their wish after this season. Secondly, he still offers something as a run defender, so unless there is an absolutely compelling upgrade to be found elsewhere, there's no reason to relegate him to the bench permanently - no matter what the talking heads may say.

As discussed, the best option may be to take more of the pass rushing snaps and giving them to guys like Mass and Maponga, which may already be happening if the Bucs game is any indication. For those looking for us to bench Kroy or outright cut him, there's simply no reason to. While he may not have much to offer as a pass rusher, he still has a role to play in this defense.

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2014/9/20/6662005/kroy-biermann-time-for-a-change

Didn't realize he was a free agent after this year and I thought they said during TC that mass would be starting opposite of Biermann

Biermann signed a 3-year contract in 2012. His cap hit for this year, the final year of his contract, is just over $4 million. Contract details linked as follows:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/kroy-biermann/

I don't follow PFF so I don't know much about it,but from what I have seen on the boards they don't grade pass coverage and I didn't see a column for TFL. I like Biermann and Have not seen him play as bad as some have said. Granted He's not Jared Allen or DeMarcus Ware, but I don't believe that's why he's on the field. His strength is pass coverage. I don't know which LB normally gets the pass coverages duties but that's were he needs to be. I think the day will come when he's gone. Just not this season.

Unfortunately I think this is the end for Kroy. He's more worried about his family and longevity than playing hard. It's understandable. But the coaches have to stop forcing the issue and play the young talent. Nobody got pressure outside of Mass, Maponga, Peters and Shembo.

I don't follow PFF so I don't know much about it,but from what I have seen on the boards they don't grade pass coverage and I didn't see a column for TFL. I like Biermann and Have not seen him play as bad as some have said. Granted He's not Jared Allen or DeMarcus Ware, but I don't believe that's why he's on the field. His strength is pass coverage. I don't know which LB normally gets the pass coverages duties but that's were he needs to be. I think the day will come when he's gone. Just not this season.

Stop it, just stop it!!!

Are you kidding me? strength is pass coverage rolmao. dude might be under avg against the run at best, he's late to the gaps, misses tackles, and looks like he's running in quick sand. not to mention can't get off blocks, gets blown up by tight ends, does not need to be double teamed, and can't shed his blocker. St only maybe. Oh and zero pass rush...screw PFF

I think he is also not using good techniques in his pass rush. It seems to me that he continually either goes way past the QB or crashes down and allows scrambling lanes continually.

I do feel for the guy but I think that this will be his last year. Unless he has an awakening starting next Sunday(which I doubt)I think he is out of his league

Nolan really likes Kroy's versatility and last season they expected him to take a step forward and make a big impact. Nolan changed his scheme some last season because he didn't have a guy who could do what Kroy can do. Kroy is coming off of a major injury and they are giving him the chance to push through it and take a step forward. That really isn't too hard to see, but people sometimes refuse to see things like that.

Kroy has improved against the run and even though people are tripping on Door gunner mentioning Kroy being good in pass coverage it is true. In Nolan's scheme he wants a guy who can drop back and cover. That's just the way it is.

Now, having said all of that Kroy needs to get past his injury mentally and figure out how to sack the QB. I'm sure if he doesn't the young guys will start getting more snaps as they should. I really hope he figures it out, but at this point I'm not too confident it will happen.

Nolan really likes Kroy's versatility and last season they expected him to take a step forward and make a big impact. Nolan changed his scheme some last season because he didn't have a guy who could do what Kroy can do. Kroy is coming off of a major injury and they are giving him the chance to push through it and take a step forward. That really isn't too hard to see, but people sometimes refuse to see things like that.

Kroy has improved against the run and even though people are tripping on Door gunner mentioning Kroy being good in pass coverage it is true. In Nolan's scheme he wants a guy who can drop back and cover. That's just the way it is.

Now, having said all of that Kroy needs to get past his injury mentally and figure out how to sack the QB. I'm sure if he doesn't the young guys will start getting more snaps as they should. I really hope he figures it out, but at this point I'm not too confident it will happen.

Nolan has been scheming around a lack of overall talent and KB is holding back young potential talent.

We don't need a versatile player that can drop back in a zone and run around...we need a pass rusher. I repeat a pass rusher...something KB never resembled even when healthy.

KB best gift was that he's a trier...he's lagging in that area at the moment. Play Maponga more and put an end to the myth that is KB.

Please stop with Kroy is versitile nonsense. Edited by FentayeJones

Nolan has been scheming around a lack of overall talent and KB is holding back young potential talent.

We don't need a versatile player that can drop back in a zone and run around...we need a pass rusher. I repeat a pass rusher...something KB never resembled even when healthy.

KB best gift was that he's a trier...he's lagging in that area at the moment. Play Maponga more and put an end to the myth that is KB.

I agree. It's time to reduce Biermann's playing time and give the the extra snaps to some of the younger players, like Mass and Maponga. i would even like to see Bartu moved to OLB/DE and given some of Biermann's snaps.

Unfortunately I think this is the end for Kroy. He's more worried about his family and longevity than playing hard. It's understandable. But the coaches have to stop forcing the issue and play the young talent. Nobody got pressure outside of Mass, Maponga, Peters and Shembo.

Don't forget about Osi. He helped force the quick throw that led to Ishmael's pick and he also chased the QB right into Corey's arms for that sack.

And Babineaux looked good rushing the passer in the first two weeks, at least better than anyone else on the team. I think the key will be to rotate everyone effectively so that all the guys listed -- and Goodman, Worrilow, and Bartu as well -- all get their chances to rush and affect the QB. Very interested to see if we can continue to bring the heat next weekend in Minnesota.