I Am Elated Finally See Adjustments By The Coaching Staff...

TheeTKOBeatz

Just my 2 cents, and I apologize if the topic was already posted but,

I can admit that i was reluctant to believe that the staff would change anything up and would keep the status quo same players in, in the same imaginary productive spots all game, expecting better things from them all of a sudden...namely on defense (while totally losing my faith in mike nolan)

however i will say, without going into too much detail, just looking back at all of the defensive snaps 1 by 1 I noticed this:

1: Kroy was NOT rushing the passer for most of the first half until the score became 35-0...and his snaps were significantly decreased (again in the first half up until 35-0)Something that may make the "Kroy bench/cut people" happy.. He seemed to be playing SLB (almost exclusively in a "4-3 under" base package?) which we started with on all 1st downs. Goodman started as the 4th down lineman in his place along with Babs/Jax/Soliai. I will say he played much better in this position as it better suits him*

2: We went (as far as i could recognize)

4-3 under on 1st downs, some 2nd,

4-2-5 (nickel) on 2nd downs, and

4-1-6 (dime) (3 corners, 3 safeties & Worrilord) on 3rd downs

..using more 4-3 under in the beginning, and more nickel and dime once we started running up the scoreboard (1st half).

Which as we could all see worked beautifully to our personnel strengths...

so again tying the 2 together, that put Kroy in on mostly just first downs all half, (big difference from last game where i believe he was in all 3 downs for most if not all of the game as DE/OLB) He is obviously better in coverage than at rushing the passer and it should stay that way...the fact that Mike Nolan and Smitty finally made the right personnel moves and it payed off (even for one game) leaves me hoping they keep this aggressive attitude towards our roster even if it has to change on the fly.

now the thread is not ALL about Kroy believe it or not, #2 is what I am most impressed with as our DBs is a deep spot on our roster, and we used it to our advantage, also always been high on Ish, Goodman, and Peters balled.

This gameplan seemed to have diminished our weakest point in the defense which is our LB corp. Hopefully we can keep up the good work against tougher opponents. Kudos

Edited by TheeTKOBeatz

Please it was not just about KROY. Okay we get it, he doesn't need to get most of the snaps but he can still help in a 16 game season. Lighten up a little bit. I'm happy someone on the FO had some pride after being ravished by the Bengals and the Media questioning if this team had it. I don't care if it were Tampa, they are Pro's and someone on that Staff had them Falcons RISING UP! I applaud that!

Please it was not just about KROY. Okay we get it, he doesn't need to get most of the snaps but he can still help in a 16 game season. Lighten up a little bit. I'm happy someone on the FO had some pride after being ravished by the Bengals and the Media questioning if this team had it. I don't care if it were Tampa, they are Pro's and someone on that Staff had them Falcons RISING UP! I applaud that!

You stay out of this Kim!

I was surprised when I saw Kroy's big ash running with the RB out of the backfield,keeping up with him and successfully defending the pass even if he did not get his head around.It must have been disheartening to see a big guy like that on your ash through the whole route AND preventing you from making the play!

I don't think the post is about bashing kroy. Its about this coaching staff finally having the ability to make scheme and personnel changes quickly. Remember this is the staff that just discovered Antone Smith could add value on sundaysbin spite of his blocking deficiency. This is the staff that stuck with Peter Konz over Hawley for 15 games last year. And when they did make the change it was only because Konz was being moved to left guard. If Sam Baker hadn't gotten hurt he'd probably be our LT for the next two yes. So its refreshing to see them make adjustments after 2 games

we are still trying to figure out our best combinations of players that work best, and this changes from week to week

Agree.

The D is a work in progress and can't necessarily make adjustments that can't be exploited.

Ryan is the biggest adjustment (understanding/overcoming his weaknesses) that has been made and needs to stay consistent to carry this team to a p/o opportunity.

To be fair, we can only speculate about whether what we are seeing is a coaching change or not, although we will possibly make more educated deductions after more games confirm trends one way or another. On Thursday, it is possible that Kroy was only put in after the game was out of hand, but it's also possible that he had a stomach bug that kept pulling him off the field in the first half. Or that Tampa was doing something specifically with their personnel to keep him off the field, as humorous and unlikely as that sounds.

The Tampa Bay game represented about the most creative and aggressive scheme I've ever seen. It is an almost 180-degree reversal of Smittyball. That was apparent from the first play when they actually passed the ball in an unabashed aggressive move to gain yards rather than handing it to SJax for a run up the gut for no gain. And continuing to push the ball downfield aggressively after the Falcons were up by three TD's was clearly un-Smittyball like as well.

On many occasions this coaching staff has started off aggressively ~ at least on offense ~ grabbed an early lead and then pulled in its horns and stopped moving the ball. It has become almost a given our offense will go into hibernation around half-time, then slumber through the third quarter and at least half of the fourth before shuddering back to life and trying to steal the lead back with a last-second FG. Not so vs Tampa. We weren't taking any prisoners from the opening gun. That needs to become the new norm; not just a random anomaly. Ball control is a good thing, but we have got to get way more aggressive with our schemes on offense and defense ~ and stay that way through the whole four quarters ~ if we want to beat top-tier teams and make a run at a Super Bowl.

The Tampa Bay game represented about the most creative and aggressive scheme I've ever seen. It is an almost 180-degree reversal of Smittyball. That was apparent from the first play when they actually passed the ball in an unabashed aggressive move to gain yards rather than handing it to SJax for a run up the gut for no gain. And continuing to push the ball downfield aggressively after the Falcons were up by three TD's was clearly un-Smittyball like as well.

On many occasions this coaching staff has started off aggressively ~ at least on offense ~ grabbed an early lead and then pulled in its horns and stopped moving the ball. It has become almost a given our offense will go into hibernation around half-time, then slumber through the third quarter and at least half of the fourth before shuddering back to life and trying to steal the lead back with a last-second FG. Not so vs Tampa. We weren't taking any prisoners from the opening gun. That needs to become the new norm; not just a random anomaly. Ball control is a good thing, but we have got to get way more aggressive with our schemes on offense and defense ~ and stay that way through the whole four quarters ~ if we want to beat top-tier teams and make a run at a Super Bowl.

Seriously?

A rival fan named Pox pegged that game best...an episode of "Benny Hill" starring TB.

The "adjustment allegation" is a myth like KB. It's not Smitty...see TD.

Ryan is the difference in the "O"...alongside a competent looking O-line.

Also allignments are made on personal not on down unless it is third and long. We also had alot of 3-4 plays. Don't know what game he watched.

4-3 under looks just like a 3-4 to an uninformed eye, and brain...i said what the formation more likely was regardless of what down. which i stated as a fact not necessarily a reason....get your weight up son

I don't think the post is about bashing kroy. Its about this coaching staff finally having the ability to make scheme and personnel changes quickly. Remember this is the staff that just discovered Antone Smith could add value on sundaysbin spite of his blocking deficiency. This is the staff that stuck with Peter Konz over Hawley for 15 games last year. And when they did make the change it was only because Konz was being moved to left guard. If Sam Baker hadn't gotten hurt he'd probably be our LT for the next two yes. So its refreshing to see them make adjustments after 2 games

THANK YOU !! YOU GET A LIKE SIR FOR ACTUALLY GETTING IT!!

Edited by TheeTKOBeatz