Was It Scheme Or Better Execution Last Night?

peoriabird

Time to have an academic discussion about last night's game and the question of the evening is...Why did we look so good vs other games against a similar opponent where we struggled. I remember watching a game against Oakland 2 years ago when Oakland was one of the worst teams in the league and I remember thinking that it was going to be a blow out but it wasn't. 2 years later, we play a team similar to Oakland in talent and it was no contest..Why? Did the players just simply execute better in this game or was there a noticeable change in philosophy? My vote goes to change in philosophy more than better players execution especially on defense where in past game, the team's MO was bend don't break. In this game you rarely saw that kind of non aggressive play which is more in line with Nolan's character. You saw more pass rusher rushing the passer on every pass play than in the past and as a result we got more consistent pressure and sacks for a change.

If the above is true then why did this suddenly happen? Was it the fact that it was a short week and the Falcon's coaching staff determined that the Buc's preparation would be incomplete and wouldn't be able to adequately practice protection or is this our new defense?

We can talk about the aggressiveness on offense too but I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the defense 1st.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A very interesting question,I don't know why our defense was tougher ?Are the Bucs just that sorry?We had the same players on defense for the first 3 games and this was by far their best game,probably a combination of new players getting more familiar with the game plan, and more aggressive attacking on Nolan's part

1) We actually did not run the ball up the middle to start the game

2) We then ran the no-huddle and had the Bucs surprised most of the game

3) We found a use for our fullback with passes to him

4) We avoided penalties except for excessive celebration and a couple of holdings

5) We actually made an attempt to rush and had sacks

6) We capitalized on turnovers

Something was different this week and it was not just the Bucs.

Edited by jlrfalcon

Matt Ryan had time. Matt Ryan was scrambling and extending plays. We had established a solid run game. I guess I could keep going but the point is there is a lot. We were doing all the right things. Oh, another big one is actually having a return threat for the first time since like 2010.

Everybody wants to talk about the offense but what about the defense??

Guest facelessman07

They scored 41 points in that game! They were struggling to make 1st downs last night. It was different last night and the question is why?

13 point difference vs a 42 point difference

We jumped to an early huge lead and made the Bucs 1 dimensional having to pass to catch up - and with their backup QB running the plays. So that always helps your defense look better.

As for why our offense did so well, Ryan extended a couple of plays with sliding and mobility that made a huge difference against an average to poor secondary

Defensively, when we were up 14-0 it seemed like Nolan started opening up the playbook. I don't recall 3 safeties being used so far this season. Also he had Mass, Peters & Maponga in early and often.

Offensively, i honestly believe it was all Jake Matthews. Of course McCoy and Mason were out, but the 2 games Matthews played vs the one he missed seems like two COMPLETELY different offenses