Pass Blocking For Rbs Is Overrated!

dirtybird2k5

Well... no it isn't. It's 2nd and 10, four wide with Freeman as the single back. The Bucs rush six. And as you can see, Freeman gets blown up on the play, resulting in a seven yard loss.

2014-09-19_191733.gif

Against a non-Pop Warner team, 3rd and 17 is a hard hole to dig yourself out of. And as you can see from the gif, if Ryan has that extra split second, Hester has his man beat on the double move with the safety leaning on the opposite side of the field.

Edited by dirtybird2k5

Well... no it isn't. It's 2nd and 10, four wide with Freeman as the single back. The Bucs rush six. And as you can see, Freeman gets blown up on the play, resulting in a seven yard loss.

2014-09-19_191733.gif

Against a non-Pop Warner team, 3rd and 17 is a hard hole to dig yourself out of. And as you can see from the gif, if Ryan has that extra split second, Hester has his man beat on the double move with the safety leaning on the opposite side of the field.

True that Freeman got destroyed on that play but so did Blalock and Holmes got beat as well. But let's just use it to rag on an area that Freeman needs major improvement on.

On a side note, how impressed are you guys with Joe Hawley? He's turning into a h*ll of a center.

I am a big Joe Hawley fan. To be honest though, as of right now there is only one person who frequents this board that is vocally still against him. I think we all know who I am talking about too. :lol:

True that Freeman got destroyed on that play but so did Blalock and Holmes got beat as well. But let's just use it to rag on an area that Freeman needs major improvement on.

Y'all know I am Freeman's biggest fan here. Had he blocked at least decently Matt could have just ran up the middle or had an easy throw to Hester. The other guys definitely got handled too. Even as his biggest fan I can say that Freeman's missed block was the the most crucial out of everyone elses though.

I have no doubt in my mind that it will click for him. When it does and he starts getting meaningful touches in games that aren't just when we're running out the clock and their whole defense is teeing off on him he will blow up. I still wish they'd design some plays for him that don't require a lot of blocking. Even use him as a receiver more or something. The kid is a tough runner and is a lock for some decent YAC.

Y'all know I am Freeman's biggest fan here. Had he blocked at least decently Matt could have just ran up the middle or had an easy throw to Hester. The other guys definitely got handled too. Even as his biggest fan I can say that Freeman's missed block was the the most crucial out of everyone elses though.

I have no doubt in my mind that it will click for him. When it does and he starts getting meaningful touches in games that aren't just when we're running out the clock and their whole defense is teeing off on him he will blow up. I still wish they'd design some plays for him that don't require a lot of blocking. Even use him as a receiver more or something. The kid is a tough runner and is a lock for some decent YAC.

I disagree with the thought that if Freeman makes his block that Ryan could have completed a pass to Hester or ran or whatever because of how badly Blalock got beat on the play as well. If you look at it Blalock's guy hit Ryan at the same time as Freeman's guy.

I disagree with the thought that if Freeman makes his block that Ryan could have completed a pass to Hester or ran or whatever because of how badly Blalock got beat on the play as well. If you look at it Blalock's guy hit Ryan at the same time as Freeman's guy.

Ehh... Who knows what could have happened really.

Whole point was rather that Freeman made a bad block. I will not and do not hold that against him. I think a lot of people are being hyper critical of him right now. Whether it's from the strip fumble or that he couldn't run in garbage time with their defense knowing it's coming and teeing off on him, I dunno. I personally think he is our best actual RB. I'm talking simply about the ability to run the ball, vision, speed, etc...

its not his technique that the issue....this is grown man football...they have all been taught the same thing. It all comes down to desire. you have to WANT to step up there and meet that linebacker who is running full speed. freeman and smith are not willing to do that on a consistent basis. They have professional coaches that already know what is required of a running back in the NFL. They have taught all this stuff all offseason....its one thing to figure out WHO to block...that can be coached up...but at the moment of truth....you just gotta be a man about it and take it for the team like quizz does. Quizz just refuses to let the guy past him. he get blown up all the time but he stand in there, being that size, its a losing battle physically, but that has nothing to do with the heart