Defensive Rotation, Not Solution!

A lot of talk about a horrible d-line. All valid, however, some of the critique is wrongplaced. From watching the previous game tape 3 times I've learned this.

Soliai played only 56 % of the defensive snaps and recorded 6 tackles - he had two extremely crucial stops in the 1st half.

Babineaux played 62 % I'm not sure how many tackles he had - but I've seen the gametape 3 times, and he had a couple of nice plays but in total he was not playing wel.

Jackson 58% I'm not one for going against the obvious, he truly sucks.

Goodman 49 % I think he stuffed the holes pretty well, but he still need to improve his footwork.

Peters 32%, Osi 29% Hageman 15%. None of them really played a big factor in the game. To me Osi was almost invissible

OLB's 3-4

Bierman played 77% a total of 55 snaps, most of all D-liners/ OLB's and more than both Bartu and Shembo at ILB - he missed a loooot of plays.

I saw him have one great stop, which were created by a solid interior D-line.

My conclussion:

Soliai is without a doubt NOT a bust, he is very capable, but he rotates a lot with Peters. Soliai might be the only d-liner who can be happy with his performance the first two games. I think he looks good with Jackson on his side, but Jackson does not have the abilities to pursue the QB and neither does Babineaux or Bierman. A solution might be giving maponga more snaps. He were close a couple of times

They don't rotate in order to give both guys a chance to play. They rotate so that Soliai doesn't wilt. The DL is under about 4 times the workload as the OL...especially on pass plays.

It is not like you can choose not to rotate UNLESS your defense forces teams to 3 and out. In games where we stop teams 60% of the time on 3rd down, Soliai's percentage will go up. You can count on that. DL guys just can't do back to back 13 play drives without a break. That is why teams run the no-huddle...to trap the DL on the field and force them to play tired.

Y'all are right that you have to rotate when you aren't stopping anyone.

That's one reason Bierman's sub-par performance netting him 77% of the total snaps is an abomination. Rotate him because he's tired, rotate him because he sucks -- whatever. Give someone else a chance to play. Maybe Bierman will play better in a reduced role. They only put Osi in on pass rush snaps. Maybe they could limit Bierman to a situational pass rusher/pass defender, and even pair him with someone else who can both cover and rush to disguise where the rush is coming from. But him getting nearly 80% of snaps and having sub-par production is inexcusable from a coaching standpoint. He made some plays in the 2nd half of both games. But good grief -- give anyone enough snaps and they'll make a play or two. What could some of these other guys accomplish if they were given snaps? What could Bierman accomplish if he was fresher?

A lot of talk about a horrible d-line. All valid, however, some of the critique is wrongplaced. From watching the previous game tape 3 times I've learned this.

Soliai played only 56 % of the defensive snaps and recorded 6 tackles - he had two extremely crucial stops in the 1st half.

Babineaux played 62 % I'm not sure how many tackles he had - but I've seen the gametape 3 times, and he had a couple of nice plays but in total he was not playing wel.

Jackson 58% I'm not one for going against the obvious, he truly sucks.

Goodman 49 % I think he stuffed the holes pretty well, but he still need to improve his footwork.

Peters 32%, Osi 29% Hageman 15%. None of them really played a big factor in the game. To me Osi was almost invissible

OLB's 3-4

Bierman played 77% a total of 55 snaps, most of all D-liners/ OLB's and more than both Bartu and Shembo at ILB - he missed a loooot of plays.

I saw him have one great stop, which were created by a solid interior D-line.

My conclussion:

Soliai is without a doubt NOT a bust, he is very capable, but he rotates a lot with Peters. Soliai might be the only d-liner who can be happy with his performance the first two games. I think he looks good with Jackson on his side, but Jackson does not have the abilities to pursue the QB and neither does Babineaux or Bierman. A solution might be giving maponga more snaps. He were close a couple of times

Babs can rush. He's always been good at it. Jackson has never been a rusher. He's a run stuffer and they move him inside in 4 man fronts. Not a good move. He should come out on those alignments. Babs was the lone guy that hit dalton on the long TD pass. Dalton just did a great job of noticing the jailbreak blitz and new he had a one on one. He threw the ball exactly the way Matt did when rob Ryan sent a jailbreak and Matt hit Julio in the redzone. Great play by dalton.

I think they have to go back to a 4 - 3 defense to get pressure ... Our LBs aren't good enough to play this 3 - 4 scheme ... Babs is straight he would have had a sack if it wasn't 4 the penalty he really should be play over the OG I think he gets more pressure there .... As for Jackson nothing has stood out ... I thought Osi got good pressure ... But did he even play Sunday ... Kroy is some pie ... Idk we can't stop the run ... No sacks and we spent all that money for nothing .... SMH

For real. We need to run a friggin' 3-4 with:

RE: Babs/Hageman

NT: Soliai / Peters

LE: Goodman/Jackson

And I say put Shembo at ILB with Worrilow and let Bartu rush from OLB along with Mass and Maponga

I wish we would try this more at least. I would rather see us try 3-3-5 instead of this 4-2-5 that keeps players out of position also. Nothing is going to make us the next steel curtain, but it can't get much worse than what it is now.

Bierrman rushes the passer the most, that's what's hurting this team. Only our coaching staff would allow a guy with 16.5 sacks in 6 season play this much. Massoquoi had 4 sacks and 48 tackles in 3 starts... Also, why does Babs play D-End in a nickel scheme? Nolan should be fired for doing that. Mass seems like our best situational pass rusher because Osi's old. Bierman should only play in coverage and SOME run stuffing.