Mike Nolan On Defense

hjerry

It really must kill him to see this happen to his resume.

Nolan has been known for turning a pile of ish into a pot of gold but he may have his hands full with this personnel. We have no playmakers in the front 7 and I mean NONE! He would be a lot better as a HC where he has full control over personnel decisions. He put together the core of that defense in San Fran with Aaron Smith and P.Willie.

Nolan has been known for turning a pile of ish into a pot of gold but he may have his hands full with this personnel. We have no playmakers in the front 7 and I mean NONE! He would be a lot better as a HC where he has full control over personnel decisions. He put together the core of that defense in San Fran with Aaron Smith and P.Willie.

I have often thought this before about Mike Nolan's personnel decisions, I think he is probably best as a talent evaluator. Unfortunately I don't think TD gives anyone on staff any say in personnel decisions. Edited by weezy01212

Of course he knows Tru is playing well, but he isn't going to put him on a pedestal while tearing into the other guys on D.

WTF are you talking about. He was horrible in SF. They have so much talent now because they were picking in the top half of the draft for dam near a decade, largely thanks to Nolan. Maybe he has learned his lesson and would be a good HC now, but using his tenure in SF to say he would be good now is silly.

If you give a trainer an old dog, would you be pissed at the trainer for the dog's inability to learn new tricks?

Being as you can teach an old dog new tricks, this isn't a really good example.

I simply don't understand the admiration for Mike Nolan. Atlanta is the only team he has ever spent more than two years with that I've found, which is pretty telling as I haven't seen anything amazing from his years in the league. Also, if a coach has to have pro bowlers at every position in order to run a good defense, then they aren't a good coach. Great coaches make average players good, and good players great. Bill Walsh created the West Coast offense cause of a lack of talent on his teams, and that's now a standard offense in the NFL. Also, living in Denver while he was the DC here, I never saw anything out of him to make me think he was a great coach (and as low talent as that team was, they still had Dumervill and a few other players). One other thing, the defense simply looks lost on the field, and has for several years. That's all coaching.

Of course he knows Tru is playing well, but he isn't going to put him on a pedestal while tearing into the other guys on D.

WTF are you talking about. He was horrible in SF. They have so much talent now because they were picking in the top half of the draft for dam near a decade, largely thanks to Nolan. Maybe he has learned his lesson and would be a good HC now, but using his tenure in SF to say he would be good now is silly.

wrong...his tenure as HC wasn't stellar, no doubt. his personnel decisions were tho!! choice of CO's were questionable. i wish Nolan was building this team!!!

I am sick and tired of this defense getting pushed around. Year after year our defense gets pushed around. Tired of coaches "saying the right things". Its time for action from them or from Blank. I'm not saying the sky is falling, but i'm also not being a homer either. Every year its something different. When Nolan cam to coach for us, I was excited for us because of what he had done before. After what Ive seen I dont know if its coach Smith for not giving him what he needs, or if its something else. I am just sick and tired of it. Something has to be done about it.

Man I would love for Chucky to come coach this team. I hope he's waiting for the job too.

Haven't you seen the Aaron Rodgers story?! Nolan had Mike McCarthy AND Sean Peyton on his staff... Two of the greatest offensive minds in the NFL. They wanted to draft Rodgers so bad but the OWNER stepped in and told him to draft Alex Smith! That decision doomed his entire tenure while two of his staff members went on to win SB's. Nolan is not a idiot by any means, just unlucky as ****. If Smitty fails, look for Nolan to be one of the top candidates for the HC job.

Edited by Macintez

Being as you can teach an old dog new tricks, this isn't a really good example.

I simply don't understand the admiration for Mike Nolan. Atlanta is the only team he has ever spent more than two years with that I've found, which is pretty telling as I haven't seen anything amazing from his years in the league. Also, if a coach has to have pro bowlers at every position in order to run a good defense, then they aren't a good coach. Great coaches make average players good, and good players great. Bill Walsh created the West Coast offense cause of a lack of talent on his teams, and that's now a standard offense in the NFL. Also, living in Denver while he was the DC here, I never saw anything out of him to make me think he was a great coach (and as low talent as that team was, they still had Dumervill and a few other players). One other thing, the defense simply looks lost on the field, and has for several years. That's all coaching.

You have this exactly right. The other part of this is that he seems to be able to improve things for the short term everywhere he goes and then it all seems to fall apart , he can never sustain it. I think the man is very over rated.