Vaughn Mcclure On The Falcons' Ots

hjerry

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the spellbounding part of this Tweet that Matthews is likely to play or that Holmes is still playing?

If its Matthews is playing, I was hearing this all day yesterday and he is listed as probable.

If its Holmes, why doesn't McClure follow up his Tweet with something - did he something or is this just a gut feeling?

Holmes was pretty terrible against the Bengals. Was he absolutely atrocious? No, but from me objectively watching the tape, it was pretty close. The one thing he has going for him is that he played surprisingly well against New Orleans, and showed drastic improvement during the offseason/preseason. If it was me personally, I would put in Gabe Carimi at right tackle, simply because we know what we're getting with Holmes. Carimi played for Tampa Bay last year, and was drafted by Lovie Smith. That gives him an advantage I believe, even as an offensive lineman.

With all of that said, I support whatever tandem Mike Tice decides on. He knows more about the offensive line than all of us, and has done a fantastic job so far in his brief time. I'll appeal to authority and withhold a negative judgment until after Thursday's game.

The biggest thing Holmes struggled at was getting the initial punch at the LOS. Which made it seems like he was just whipped, but he did a good job of recovering more often than not and his guy was rarely in the play.

His bad play is way over blown.

And that is the reason why he will start over Carimi. ( as it appears now).

If Matthews is back, Oline will look much better whoever is at RT. Falcons will be able to chip with RB/TE on one side and not two. Means Blalock can help Hawley, not the LT. Give Ryan a pocket to step into, tackle's job is much easier.

Would like to see Holmes grow into the position over the season, needing less and less help as the year goes on.

If Matthews is back, Oline will look much better whoever is at RT. Falcons will be able to chip with RB/TE on one side and not two. Means Blalock can help Hawley, not the LT. Give Ryan a pocket to step into, tackle's job is much easier.

Would like to see Holmes grow into the position over the season, needing less and less help as the year goes on.

And I think he can.

Watching the game tape of the preseason and the first 2 regular season games the difference in him this years vs last is staggering.

He is still a young raw player but he is progressing much better than what a lot of people give him credit for.

With a better game plan IMO people would be signing his praises but because the offense struggled he gets an unfair portion of the criticism

That's the only part of your post that makes me nervous. Puddin' is big enough.

i wanna see carimi get a serious look at RT. he could still be a longterm guy at RT.

im not saying he will be an all-pro guy, but he was a firstrounder for a reason and is just now recovering from in injury he suffered week 2 of his rookie season. he could be an average RT for us for the longterm. there would be nothing wrong with that

That's the only part of your post that makes me nervous. Puddin' is big enough.

OK, mature into the position.

People seem to have this idea that players just don't get better- that whatever you were when you came into the league is what you're always going to be.

There are some really good Oline players who were just cr#p when they came in- Smith from the Bengals for example, Brown, the tackle that everyone says they wanted TD to draft rather than Baker- 20 sacks his first 2 years, sure he he's an all pro now, there were some severe growing pains.

Carimi will get serious looks at RT, Tice is no dummy.

Carimi and Holmes looked virtually identical at RT in pass protection week 1 but Carimi looked better run blocking

Holmes took an incredibly large step back last week, he looked like 2013 Holmes so unfortunately he may have not progressed quite as much as some have thought

Carimi is the new Trueblood. Nothing more, nothing less. Last year Trueblood was supposedly going to bounce back to protect his college teammate Ryan while this year Tice knows his boy Carimi so he has coached him up. I did not like what I saw out of Holmes against the Bengals but don't pretend Carimi is suddenly anything more than what he has been throughout his career: Hot garbage.