Falcons' Paul Worrilow Tackles His Misses

theProf

Falcons' Paul Worrilow tackles his misses

Sep 16 6:10PM ET

By Vaughn McClure | ESPN.com

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Glance at the NFL statistics this week and you'll see Atlanta Falcons inside linebacker Paul Worrilow atop the league with 29 combined tackles.

It would appear to be a significant accomplishment for a second-year player who came to the Falcons as an undrafted free agent out of Delaware. But the only number Worrilow sees is four: He's counted four missed tackles for himself through the first two games.

One was during Sunday's 24-10 loss at Cincinnati, when Worrilow and strong safety William Moore both missed a chance to corral Bengals running back Jeremy Hill on a checkdown from quarterback Andy Dalton. A 3-yard gain suddenly became an 18-yard explosive play with Hill's 15 yards after the catch.

"It was just a poor tackle attempt, thinking that you were going to be able to take a shot at a guy," Worrilow explained. "Obviously, we both whiffed. That's something that I usually don't do. I usually try to just secure the tackle and get the guy down. ... That's one that sticks out that you'll never do again."

Another against the Bengals occurred when Worrilow couldn't get off a block in time to wrap up Giovani Bernard on a fourth-quarter run.

"There was a penalty on the play, and it came back," Worrilow said. "The play might not count on the stat sheet, but that's one of those that plays over and over in your mind as you're preparing for the next game."

Worrilow deserves plenty of credit for not being content with his play. He could have been somewhat comfortable following a solid rookie season, during which he led the Falcons in tackles with 127 and had back-to-back 19-tackle efforts against Carolina and Seattle. Instead, he never became consumed by those gaudy numbers after his team finish the season 4-12.

Falcons coach Mike Smith appreciates Worrilow's self-criticism and willingness to strive for perfection.

"I think the guys that are really truly driven, it's not about what they did well, it's about what they can improve on," Smith said. "Paul is that way. He's a guy who is hypercritical of his play. And when you are hypercritical, I think it's a good trait to have as a football player.

"Is he too critical? Absolutely not. I like that. He's a guy that studies the game extremely hard. For a second-year player, I think he's light years ahead of other people that I've been around in terms of his understanding of the game."

Worrilow needs to be a sure tackler Thursday night against Tampa Bay. The Buccaneers boast a rather elusive running back in Bobby Rainey, who is coming off a 144-yard rushing outing against St. Louis. Rainey rushed for a career-high 163 yards and scored three touchdowns in a 41-28 win over the Falcons last season.

"He's definitely a guy you have to wrap up," Worrilow said of Rainey. "A lot of times I see they (Rainey and Doug Martin) take on the contact and they're going forward for 3, 4 more yards. Like you always teach, wrapping up and not diving is something that's going to be big."

Worrilow will try his best to do his part. His teammates have to follow suit.

From an earlier McClure article just after the Bengals game:

"Linebacker Paul Worrilow had his right arm wrapped heavily and walked around with a noticeable limp before exiting the locker room. As far as his arm, Worrilow said it was just a precautionary thing as the Falcons prepare for a short week, with Tampa Bay coming to the Georgia Dome Thursday night. Worrilow was more concerned with missed tackles than he was about his health."

I have to admit that Cincy game was what I would call the first "bad" game from Worrilow, even though his stats were relatively good. He just missed too many tackles, was not good in pass coverage, and did not fill the gaps quickly enough. I wonder if his apparent injuries had something to do with his bad performance.

To be continued Thursday night. I'll be watching him and Bartu very closely against the Bucs. They both need to diagnose the plays quicker and play faster (attack). Especially in the run game.

I expect our front 7 to play a whole lot better now that they're not playing 2 of the better lines in the game

If only we had more UDFAs like Worrilow maybe some of the other guys would put forth more effort.

I love his attitude, wish more players on the team had the same attitude we may see a much better product on defense, but I do think Worrilow needs to step his game up to match his attitude. I am pulling for him because we need better play from everyone on the defense.

That is not something to be proud off. YOu want your teams to perform against the better talent cause that is how you have success in the playoffs.

Sure. But you can't have it both ways. This board can't scream about our lack of talent every day and then expect them to handle a top 5 offensive line.

I'll also say our front 7 played about the same as the Ravens did against the Ravens. Do you think we're as talented as the Ravens? The Bengals have built an entire team around this oline

I know for a fact after reading TATF this week that Worrilow and Kroy are the the only reason our defense sucks, and that removing them and just playing with 9 on defense will be addition by subtraction.

They are not playing well, the entire defense is not playing well, but Kroy and Worrilow are part of the problem, I just hope they get better.

They are not playing well, the entire defense is not playing well, but Kroy and Worrilow are part of the problem, I just hope they get better.

I can admit Kroy is not playing well, but no one has played even close to better on that DL.

This defense as team full of disappointment so far in that front seven.

the ability of the board to pick single players, when all 11 men have responsibilities just simply amazes me.

I can admit Kroy is not playing well, but no one has played even close to better on that DL.

This defense as team full of disappointment so far in that front seven.

the ability of the board to pick single players, when all 11 men have responsibilities just simply amazes me.

What is the problem with realizing that whatever expectations of said player are not being met and then diving into the reasons why are a problem. This board and its man crushes - whoa crazy crazy.

Why don't we have Shembo, Bartu and War Machine on the field? He is clearly doing a lot of work to try and hold up what little defense we have. 29 combine tackles in two games is a lot. I think we need to put in 3 Linebackers to take a lot of the pressure off of Worrilow. Then when we run a Nickel, have either Shembo or Bartu out.

I expect our front 7 to play a whole lot better now that they're not playing 2 of the better lines in the game

I expect them to play better also, but that's the problem,

if we make it to the playoffs we won't be facing poor OL's it will be like the last 2 games.

I don't care if the falcons get 10 sacks against the Bucs they totaled zero against playoff caliber teams.

We have to have 2 and 3 sacks against good teams not just against crappy OL

I expect them to play better also, but that's the problem,

if we make it to the playoffs we won't be facing poor OL's it will be like the last 2 games.

I don't care if the falcons get 10 sacks against the Bucs they totaled zero against playoff caliber teams.

We have to have 2 and 3 sacks against good teams not just against crappy OL

I'm not going to even think about playoffs until we show we can stop somebody lol.