If This Season Repeats Last Season

ROMERO

i cant see smitty being here for another year. I think hes a good coach but we need someone with aggression. i think there needs to be a major change with the whole coaching staff. drafting has not been great outside of Ryan, Moore, and Julio. Our defense is garbage. Nolan needs to kick rocks. how can other teams draft great pieces on defense and we draft crap. spoon keeps getting hurt. we messed up getting rid of abe. he WAS the heart of the defense. steven jackson was a waste of a pick up. we brought in soliai and jackson and they havent done anything. moore, trufant, alford, worrilow, and babs are the only ones who seem to show up. no wonder we are the laughing stock of the league and get no **** respect.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Blank is not a man who is used to "average". His patience has to have been tested mightily. He is a class act and told this crew they have a second chance. The drafts have killed us and some blind allegiance to older players have put us back. Should our season smell even remotely as bad as last season, there will be wholesale regime change. Bank on that.

I've seen a couple of posters on here intimate that regime change will set this franchise back 3-5 years (recounting the Leeman Bennett firing).

It's a different NFL now. If the Falcons have a poor year and Smiity and TD are fired, the right football people CAN be found and brought in....Free agency, good draft.

We could be a force NEXT YEAR after potentially going 6-10, 5-11 this year.

It's a different NFL from when Leeman was this team's coach.

Put it this way, I will not be surprised if we lose to the Bucs tomorrow night.

I won't either.

Regardless of the records they always seem to play us tough....and with this Falcons defense and inconsistent offense I'm fully aware that this game is anything but a "gimmee."

I've seen a couple of posters on here intimate that regime change will set this franchise back 3-5 years (recounting the Leeman Bennett firing).

It's a different NFL now. If the Falcons have a poor year and Smiity and TD are fired, the right football people CAN be found and brought in....Free agency, good draft.

I don't think we can afford to be afraid to either stay the course or change course. What happened in the 1980s is as irrelevant to the discussion as the Patriots firing Pete Carroll and hiring Belichick. Neither should be our model. We aren't the 1980s Falcons and we aren't the 1999 Patriots either. We're the 2014 Falcons. We have to do what is right for this team, at this time, not what might (or might not) have been right for another team at another time.

Put it this way, I will not be surprised if we lose to the Bucs tomorrow night.

We could easily lose the Buc's game but I am not discouraged like most fans here after one loss to a very good Bengals team. We opened the season with two hard games. Honestly, I'm not disappointed with a 1-1 record.

I don't think anyone needs to be fired at this point. If the talent level is just not there then it's somewhat the GM's fault.

i cant see smitty being here for another year. I think hes a good coach but we need someone with aggression. i think there needs to be a major change with the whole coaching staff. drafting has not been great outside of Ryan, Moore, and Julio. Our defense is garbage. Nolan needs to kick rocks. how can other teams draft great pieces on defense and we draft crap. spoon keeps getting hurt. we messed up getting rid of abe. he WAS the heart of the defense. steven jackson was a waste of a pick up. we brought in soliai and jackson and they havent done anything. moore, trufant, alford, worrilow, and babs are the only ones who seem to show up. no wonder we are the laughing stock of the league and get no **** respect.

• No way this team repeat last year's performance if all stays healthy.
  • If we are the laughing stock, which we are not, it's because of the lack of knowledge that our fan base has.
  • We played the #4 and #5 defense from last year..we've earned our respect thus far.

I really want to go after Jim Harbaugh. I think he's going to leave SF after this season because I think there's something behind closed doors going on with him and management and they might part ways... If that happens, we need to get that guy ASAP!!!

Too many side issues with Harbaugh...

I want Seattle's defensive coordinator Dan Quinn....Unlike Smitty I think Quinn's stint as HC for the Falcons would mean that this yearly crap defense the Birds trot out would come to an end.

Too many side issues with Harbaugh...

I want Seattle's defensive coordinator Dan Quinn....Unlike Smitty I think Quinn's stint as HC for the Falcons would mean that this yearly crap defense the Birds trot out would come to an end.

He may have side issues but he demands perfection out of his players and I love the emotion he has during the games.

Who's to say we'll find the right people? That's what people just assume. Usually you trade one problem for another. Was Jim Mora the right person after Reeves? Was Petrino after Mora???

Smitty has been here 6 years and has 4 playoff seasons. That's way better than the odds. There was a time after the Petrino fiasco when we had 6 head coaches in 6 years. Pittsburgh had 6 head coaches in SIXTY years. They also had 6 Lombardis.

At that point Arthur met with the Rooneys and the Krafts about creating a winning tradition. What he heard from the Rooneys is *patience and continuity*. Think about how long they stuck with Cowher when he was sucking. Think about Tomlin now. He is safe. I hope Arthur hasn't forgotten that advice. Believe me, you can't see how deep the valley is till you're stuck there.

Personally I think Dimitroff's replacement is already here (Pioli). But if we go 9-7 or maybe 8-8 and the team doesn't quit on Smitty, I'm convinced he should stay. When I look at this roster honestly, without rose colored glasses, the talent level says 8-8.

Who's to say we'll find the right people? That's what people just assume. Usually you trade one problem for another. Was Jim Mora the right person after Reeves? Was Petrino after Mora???

Smitty has been here 6 years and has 4 playoff seasons. That's way better than the odds. There was a time after the Petrino fiasco when we had 6 head coaches in 6 years. Pittsburgh had 6 head coaches in SIXTY years. They also had 6 Lombardis.

At that point Arthur met with the Rooneys and the Krafts about creating a winning tradition. What he heard from the Rooneys is *patience and continuity*. Think about how long they stuck with Cowher when he was sucking. Think about Tomlin now. He is safe. I hope Arthur hasn't forgotten that advice. Believe me, you can't see how deep the valley is till you're stuck there.

Personally I think Dimitroff's replacement is already here (Pioli). But if we go 9-7 or maybe 8-8 and the team doesn't quit on Smitty, I'm convinced he should stay. When I look at this roster honestly, without rose colored glasses, the talent level says 8-8.

Those are all valid points...and of course what any of us think, post or say doesn't matter.

Personally I don't believe that the combo of Smith and Dimitroff will ever get the Falcons an NFL Championship.

That isn't just a "gut feeling" either. It's based on watching for 6 years now how TD drafts and Smith coaches.

TD has a real blind spot when it comes to picking quality linemen on both sides of the ball. Smith favors a more conservative, by-the-book, don't make mistakes mentality which I believe NOW nets him the opposite result of what he's looking for because the team plays too tight.

There is a lot to be said for continuity and stability. But if those 2 qualities aren't getting you closer to the ultimate goal that's all they are....continuity and stability, not a pathway to a Lombardi.

I worry that Pioli stays on as GM (which I don't think is a total death sentence) and we end up like KC a few years back with him running the show. While I don't think it's likely, I worry that it could happen. Pioli is a shrewd GM and built a decent team in KC during his tenure and did well, IMO, this year while teamed up with TD.

Fact of the matter is that TD thinks we have the leadership to turn projects like Biermann and Holmes into superstars, which we don't. Even if we did, the talent just isn't there. Then we all get caught up in the dreaded "Falcon filter." Well, we've seen what happens when we field a team full of choir boys.

Another knock I have on TD's drafting process is more of a two pronged criticism:

1. Needs based drafting. I've said it before, but it just hasn't worked for this team. You end up with guys like Peter Konz and Peria Jelly on your team, who mau fit a need, but aren't the best draft pick available at that particualr point. If you don't keep the competition going, then what motivation is there for a player to perform their best.

2. The obsession with players. We saw it with Julio, we saw it with Trufant, and we almost saw it with Matthews. While these all look like great picks, and I'm sure they will be great players for years to come, we're seeing the price that was paid to obtain these players. Sure, Tru and Julio have all world talent and I love watching them play on Sunday. You know what I don't like watching on Sunday? A bunch of scrubs at other positions. I won't turn this into a Julio/Trufant draft pick criticism, because I do enjoy watching them play, but what good does that do us when the remainder of the team isn't competent enough to help them shine?

Those are all valid points...and of course what any of us think, post or say doesn't matter.

Personally I don't believe that the combo of Smith and Dimitroff will ever get the Falcons an NFL Championship.

That isn't just a "gut feeling" either. It's based on watching for 6 years now how TD drafts and Smith coaches.

TD has a real blind spot when it comes to picking quality linemen on both sides of the ball. Smith favors a more conservative, by-the-book, don't make mistakes mentality which I believe NOW nets him the opposite result of what he's looking for because the team plays too tight.

There is a lot to be said for continuity and stability. But if those 2 qualities aren't getting you closer to the ultimate goal that's all they are....continuity and stability, not a pathway to a Lombardi.

That's a good response. Perhaps Arthur is a step ahead of us. Perhaps Pioli is already here as TD's replacement and part of what he's doing now is evaluating Smitty to see if he stays after TD is gone. That makes more sense anyway. Hiring the head coach is the GM's job, NOT the owner's. The owner is supposed to stay out of it.

What I don't like is when people lump TD and Smitty together like they're joined at the hip. Just because they were hired the same year doesn't mean they have to be fired the same. Smitty has been severely handicapped by the (lack of) players he's been given on the LOS on both sides of the ball.

Example: What was the huge mistake we made during the Petrino fiasco? We let Mike Zimmer go. Probably the best DC we've ever had. Even during the horrible '07 season you could see he had the defense on the right track.

8-8/9-7 sounds about right.

Smitty and TD gone if that happens sounds about right.

Nolan and Kotter Kicking rocks if that happens sounds about right ( the new coach will want different guys ).

Players fired.... Most likely.

The real question isn't IF but WHEN?

Will if take the whole season? Half the season? Into the off-season?

WHEN?