How I Would Fix Our Defense....

Dirtybird#11

Alrighty Falcons Fans DB#11 is about to drop some serious fooseball knowledge on you. So from the mind that brought you "Is Dominique Davis our Cam Newton" and 50% of the polls on this MB... Here is How to fix the Falcons horrid defense.

First things first is we gotta stop with the nut hugging of Biermann,Worrilow,Bartu,and others. I know they might have played well previous years, but as of right now (aside from Worrilow who I have some hope in) they are sucking more than a fat kid eating a popsicle in July.

Now who will replace these guys in our defense?

Jackson for Goodman

Biermann for Shembo

Bartu for Osi/Massaqoui/Maponga

Ok so with that stated how would our defense look?

I have us running a 4-3 hybrid because it is obvious Nickel isn't cutting it...

LE-Maliciah Goodman

DTs-Paul Soliai,Johnathan Babineaux (Tyson Jackson rotating)

RE-Combination of Osi,Maponga,and Massaqoui

MLB-Prince Shembo

ILB-Paul Worrilow

Strong NB/Hybrid LB and SS-William Moore

CBs-Desmond Trufant,Robert Alford

SS-Dez Southward

FS-Dwight Lowery

At just a glance you're probably either hitting the back button and pretending you never saw this or you're commenting what the heck is wrong with you DB#11... But allow me to explain.

What I have done is get rid of all the problems in our defense. This is what I have personally done to improve our shotty defense...

1.Benched Biermann

2.Gave Mass,Maponga,and Shembo more snaps

3.Moved our defense into a true base set that isn't some BS nickel where we are undersized past the front DLINEMEN

4.Inserted Southward into the starting lineup

5.Made Willy Mo a primary coverage backer to help out Worrilow who seems lost every pass play thrown his way

6.Give Goodman the nod over TJax

With all these in place I have added more pass rush to our front 4 by allowing our best Dlinemen to pair up in the middle to wreck absolute chaos beside each other, and we would finally have that burst of speed around the edge with Mass,Maponga,Goodman,and Osi in a rotation that you wouldn't get with Tyson Jackson or Kroy Biermann. I mean you can't expect 300+ lbs. players chase down QBs who are far quicker than them...

I also have fixed the bug in our coverage. With Alford and Tru covering the outsides at CB all we really need is to fix our horrible between the hashes and out of the backfield screens coverages. With Willy Mo play a hybrid NCB/LB/S role he could be our new jack of all trades that this defense lacks. I mean think about it for a second... WAR has always been a good tackler so bringing down a RB or WR outta the backfield shouldn't be an issue with him alongside Worrilow and Shembo. Plus his knowledge for being the centerfielder at safety could really help our TE and middle of the field coverage schemes, that way we won't have to rely on 2 2nd year UDFAs to be our 2nd line of defense in passing situations to cover players such as Greg Olsen,Jimmy Graham,ASJ,and others...

The only problem with this defense is the safety production... I have paired a rookie with Lowery, but I would be optimistic about our safety play because of the length and speed they both have. But I would hope our safety's wouldn't have to play as big a role as they do now if this defense was to generate some type of pass rush...

So what are your thoughts? Should I see a therapist or is this pure genius?

I think you put Willy Mo in the most useful position for him.

You were thinking outside the box and trying to get us into some

kind of balanced alignment where our weaknesses are

not so easily spotted. I don't agree with all your evaluations but

you made some good calls.

Honestly dude I like what you tried to do here, but if I were gonna do the same it'd be this:

3-4 defense -

RE - Goodman/TJax

NT - Soliai / Activate TRobinson

LE - Babineaux/Hageman

OLB - Maponga/Osi

ILB - Worrilow

ILB - Shembo

OLB - Mass/Bartu (Bartu is small but he played better at OLB for us in a 4-3 last year, and I feel like he could get by defenders off the edge, might be crazy I know)

SS - Moore

FS - Southward

CBs Alford/Trufant

That's interesting to say considering we start and primarily play four down linemen, two LBs, and five DBs. I suggest you follow your own advice.

Wrong. Read other thread. Nfl rewind and real film shows we are not a nickel defense. We are a 3-4.

time to ditch sub packages? lol

southward aint ready. if we are going to a 3 safety look it would be ishmael

willy mo needs to learn how to tackle in space if he is gonna be a hybrid LB

bartu needs to see the field

goodman is already seeing more reps than jackson. getting him PT is not an issue.

mcclain needs to be on the field.

EDIT: i realize he is filling a need inside, but i would like to see shembo off the edge. that is more similar to what he did in college and he is clearly more phyical than biermann. give stupar reps inside behind bartu if need be.

man, for all the **** he took and all the people who think we need to cut him loose, imagine how much weatherspoon would help this defense right now. man

Edited by Truth.

Not too bad. I'm not sure South is up for starting though, and really i don't think it matters who's our DE's, we won't be getting any good play from those spots with the guys on our roster.

I think Goodman an Maponga could be great, but we just gotta get them the snaps.... An for Dez I think he would be game for it with his speed, but I have no clue if he is NFL ready aside from his speed an length... Then again if all else fails we could always insert Ishmael.

Honestly dude I like what you tried to do here, but if I were gonna do the same it'd be this:

3-4 defense -

RE - Goodman/TJax

NT - Soliai / Activate TRobinson

LE - Babineaux/Hageman

OLB - Maponga/Osi

ILB - Worrilow

ILB - Shembo

OLB - Mass/Bartu (Bartu is small but he played better at OLB for us in a 4-3 last year, and I feel like he could get by defenders off the edge, might be crazy I know)

SS - Moore

FS - Southward

CBs Alford/Trufant

i liked everything you said until i saw Southward.

Not too far off from what I would do.

I would want Goodman to get more PT over Babs, Shembo over Bartu, and a combo of Mass and Maponga over Beirman and get Bartu more on the outside.

Shembo got alot more snaps the 2nd half and the run D got much better.... only allowed 3.3 yards per carry with a long of only 12

Just those changes would make a huge difference.

Not too far off from what I would do.

I would want Goodman to get more PT over Babs, Shembo over Bartu, and a combo of Mass and Maponga over Beirman and get Bartu more on the outside.

Shembo got alot more snaps the 2nd half and the run D got much better.... only allowed 3.3 yards per carry with a long of only 12

Just those changes would make a huge difference.

Sigh only if we would've done it sooner.....