Bump And Run

Vicious

Maybe I missed the rules changing to make it this way, but why do our DBs and LBs play so far off of the receivers presnap? Is the bump and run illegal now, and I missed it somehow? Is jamming a receiver at the line against the rules?

It seems to me the best way to disrupt a QBs timing is to jam the receiver at the line, and then shadow them. That would cause the QB to go through his progressions while allowing defenders to get to them.

Lately, all I have seen from ATL and also UGA is DBs playing 10-15 yards back from receivers, and they start back peddling immediately when the ball is snapped. They do this even when it is third and short. Why??? Has the art of man to man been lost completely? Seattle and Cincy don't seem to have trouble playing man defense. Are we lacking the talent to do this, or is it a design issue with the DC?

It is frustrating watching teams consistently convert on third down, because the opposing QB sees the 10 yard cushion and completes a short throw to a guy that only has to take a couple of steps. I remember when guys used to jam receivers at the line, and then run with them. That disrupts the timing of the play, and forces the QB to go through his progressions. Now, it's almost as if the defense wants the offense to pickup 5+ yards a play.

I'm ready to see some real defense in the state of Georgia. It has been lacking for a while. I really thought the beef up front was going to hold the line, and the additional linebackers were going to be freed up to rush the passer/stuff running lanes. I love offensive production like the next fan, but I really enjoy watching a stout defense shut down an offense even more. Maybe I'm just old school.

Maybe I missed the rules changing to make it this way, but why do our DBs and LBs play so far off of the receivers presnap? Is the bump and run illegal now, and I missed it somehow? Is jamming a receiver at the line against the rules?

It seems to me the best way to disrupt a QBs timing is to jam the receiver at the line, and then shadow them. That would cause the QB to go through his progressions while allowing defenders to get to them.

Lately, all I have seen from ATL and also UGA is DBs playing 10-15 yards back from receivers, and they start back peddling immediately when the ball is snapped. They do this even when it is third and short. Why??? Has the art of man to man been lost completely? Seattle and Cincy don't seem to have trouble playing man defense. Are we lacking the talent to do this, or is it a design issue with the DC?

DC. Tru and Alford are not zone corners. They excel at bump and run.

Bump n' run is not illegal.

The DB still gets one push on the receiver at the line of scrimmage and can continue to touch the receiver up to the first 5 yards before releasing as long as the DB keeps a hand on them during that process and still be deemed as "one chuck".

If the DB touches the reciever and releases his hand, he can no longer engage with the reciever even if it is still within those first 5 yards.

A DB can switch the hand that they put on the receiver as long as its simultaneously within those first 5 yards.

Guest facelessman07

Have we or have we not had this issue the entire time Smitty has been here? Servin' up soft zone coverage!

Bend But Don't Break Baby! The best defense...EVA!!

Edited by facelessman07