Remember The Post I Made Saying Run The Ball To Beat The Bengals?

Macintez

Well, I figured out exactly why that strategy won't work. We don't have a good enough defense, plain and simple. This isn't a surprise to anyone who watches the Falcons (Us).

The coaching staff have tried to figure out what offensive strategy best complements this defense but after the Bengals game they need not wonder anymore. The best offensive strategy that complements this defense is the "Keep them off the freakin field as long as possible" offense.

Yep, the Smittyball death-by-1000-short-passes-and-runs ball control offense. Lets face it, this defense can only stop offenses that can stop themselves. With the schedule we have this year, I see us having a lot of up and down weeks. Let's not fool ourselves any longer. The Saints game showed us what our defense is capable of at it's peak and we allowed 34 points.

Let's all temper our expectations people, no need to piss yourself off, because it's going to be a frustrating season no doubt. Scatch playoffs from your prediction and let's hope that we can break even (8-8).

we need to run the ball much more....not only because it helps our defense, but it also helps our pass protection and gives us the ability to run play action

been the recipe for success since 2008 and for some reason they are trying to re-invent the wheel

But when you have a defense that can't keep opponents out the redzone it keeps the from being able to control the tempo of the game. As much as Smitty would like to run, it doesn't make sense to do it a lot when you're playing from behind. This is what has happened in every loss the last two years. We play ourselves into the same hole and sometimes we dig our way out but most of the time we leave ourselves stuck.

Edited by Macintez

But when you have a defense that can't keep opponents out the redzone it keeps the from being able to control the tempo of the game. As much as Smitty would like to run, it doesn't make sense to do it a lot when you're playing from behind. This is what has happened in every loss the last two years. We play ourselves into the same hole and sometimes we dig our way out but most of the time we leave ourselves stuck.

I agree with most of the stuff you said except keeping team out of the REDZONE (our D has been good in REDZONE or close to REDZONE, I'd give them this much LOL)

Edited by falcon_owns_nfc_south

seems to me like we have been in the same hole you are trying to stay out of as it is

we need to run the ball much more....not only because it helps our defense, but it also helps our pass protection and gives us the ability to run play action

been the recipe for success since 2008 and for some reason they are trying to re-invent the wheel

We've got the weapons on the outside to shred teams with play-action. I can't understand for the life of me why Koetter doesn't want to run the ball. Psychic Gibbon is right, let Ryan run the offense.

Edited by JerseyNo12

Ive said it repeatedly since the game ended and I'll keep saying it. Turnovers lost us that football game. Look at every other statistic. The passing game moved the ball well enough. The run game was solid. The defense held them to 24 points (which easily could been 30, but also easily couldve been 17 if not for the long Sanu TD). The only thing that held us back were the turnovers. One was a fluky tipped pass that they made a play on and the other was an ill-advised pass to the endzone. Take those two plays away and we easily couldve been in a tie ballgame against a perennial playoff team on the road. A 24-10 loss is nothing to be ashamed of. Its sucks that we lost and it will not stop sucking until Thursday, but in the grand-scheme of things, the Bengals game will not be some kind of turning point in the season. We are more talented than that. We will win a lot of games this year. I believe that. The Bengals are a good team. Tip your hat and move on.

Ive said it repeatedly since the game ended and I'll keep saying it. Turnovers lost us that football game. Look at every other statistic. The passing game moved the ball well enough. The run game was solid. The defense held them to 24 points (which easily could been 30, but also easily couldve been 17 if not for the long Sanu TD). The only thing that held us back were the turnovers. One was a fluky tipped pass that they made a play on and the other was an ill-advised pass to the endzone. Take those two plays away and we easily couldve been in a tie ballgame against a perennial playoff team on the road. A 24-10 loss is nothing to be ashamed of. Its sucks that we lost and it will not stop sucking until Thursday, but in the grand-scheme of things, the Bengals game will not be some kind of turning point in the season. We are more talented than that. We will win a lot of games this year. I believe that. The Bengals are a good team. Tip your hat and move on.

Wasn't all turnovers imo it was execution. And the score could have been 17, but it could have also been 30+ because Dalton missed a few wide open receivers. Our team continually did not answer the call when it was time to make the play. When we were down double digits there went the offensive balance we need so desperately and it let the Bengals rushers pin their ears back, which further compounded our problems.

When the moment of truth came, the guys put in position wilted and didn't deliver. Julio on the breakup in the end zone, Holmes on just about every other play, Ryan / Koetter for continuing to call the same plays when it was obvious what the Bengals were doing. the list goes on and on.

The Falcons need to wake up in Week 3, because despite how crappy TB looks right now, you throw out all the stats when it comes to divisional games. They are playing for their season right now, we need the same urgency.

Wasn't all turnovers imo it was execution. And the score could have been 17, but it could have also been 30+ because Dalton missed a few wide open receivers. Our team continually did not answer the call when it was time to make the play. When we were down double digits there went the offensive balance we need so desperately and it let the Bengals rushers pin their ears back, which further compounded our problems.

When the moment of truth came, the guys put in position wilted and didn't deliver. Julio on the breakup in the end zone, Holmes on just about every other play, Ryan / Koetter for continuing to call the same plays when it was obvious what the Bengals were doing. the list goes on and on.

The Falcons need to wake up in Week 3, because despite how crappy TB looks right now, you throw out all the stats when it comes to divisional games. They are playing for their season right now, we need the same urgency.

The way it's looking now... We may make Tampa Bay look like a competitive playoff team. We'll PROBABLY win, and saying probably against a 0-2 team like Tampa is not a indication of a good team.

Funny thing is we ran effectively against the Bungles when Quiz was back there..... But we leave the pack mule back there....

I hate being loyal to vets... We should not be starting SJ at the beginning of games. Jackson is big and he needs the biggest holes to run thru. We need some small shifty backs for this o-line.

Am I the only one that doesn't want my offensive coordinator thinking about our defense? I want the only focus of our offense to be scoring a touchdown every single drive... and that is all. With that said, I don't see why we don't run more. Our foursome looks good out there. I know it sounds crazy but just imagine if teams feared our 4 in the backfield AND our four on the outside!

Edited by atowndsgb28

First of all, nobody is playing for their season in week 3. That is nuts.

Of course execution was lacking, but overall I dont see this mess that everyone else seems to be seeing. I dont think anyone wilted. We just had a lousy game. We didnt make the key plays and the Bengals did. We could easily lineup and play that same Bengals team Thursday and win. That is how confident I am in this group.

We never lost offensive balance. We ran the ball well all game long. We never "abandoned" the run either. We looked great running the ball in the second half. Turnovers just came at costly times and cost us the ballgame. That happens. Im not trying to take anything away from the Bengals because they played very well, but we could easily beat that team. The talent is there.

The playcalling was fine, the execution was mostly fine, we just couldnt get some crucial 3rd downs and turned the ball over at the worst possible times. And imagine if we couldve gotten a turnover on defense....this game couldve easily been won.

I dont see the doom and gloom. I fully expect us to destroy Tampa. I will eat my crow if we dont, but I am really confident in the talent we have. One bad game doesnt change that.

Edited by Truth.

First of all, nobody is playing for their season in week 3. That is nuts.

Of course execution was lacking, but overall I dont see this mess that everyone else seems to be seeing. I dont think anyone wilted. We just had a lousy game. We didnt make the key plays and the Bengals did. We could easily lineup and play that same Bengals team Thursday and win. That is how confident I am in this group.

We never lost offensive balance. We ran the ball well all game long. We never "abandoned" the run either. We looked great running the ball in the second half. Turnovers just came at costly times and cost us the ballgame. That happens. Im not trying to take anything away from the Bengals because they played very well, but we could easily beat that team. The talent is there.

The playcalling was fine, the execution was mostly fine, we just couldnt get some crucial 3rd downs and turned the ball over at the worst possible times. And imagine if we couldve gotten a turnover on defense....this game couldve easily been won.

I dont see the doom and gloom. I fully expect us to destroy Tampa. I will eat my crow if we dont, but I am really confident in the talent we have. One bad game doesnt change that.

When you are Tampa Bay with a new regime and you are 0-2 entering Week 3, I don't think it's too far off to say their season is on the line. Or do you think they'll be okay in the NFC South?

The execution was fine? really? I guess I need redefining of the word execution. I saw very little of the Falcons offense executing. Julio had his hands on the ball, didn't come down with it. Would have been a huge play and that's just one example. Multiple missed blocks, repetitive playcalling, poor protection, all that. If you think execution was fine, I'd ask for an objective set of plays that you feel the Falcons executed on considering you feel we could have "easily" beat the Bengals.

Playcalling looked like absolute horsecrap to me, and no we didn't run the ball just fine once they were up multiple scores. The Bengals blitzed us, and sat on Matt's hot route. They would deliver pressure, Ryan would throw to his receiver and almost every single time the defender was nearly on him. Koetter stuck with it, and didn't change anything up or at least didn't change it in a way that impacted the game at all, it's not the first time he's gotten pass happy and forgot about the run.

With how bad this offensive line is, we need that balance on offense. Plain and simple.

You give the Bengals credit, and then backhand them at the same time lol. Not taking anything away from the Bengals.. but we could have easily beat that team. Well guess what, we didn't. Who cares about what we "could" have done man?

Cincinnati is a darn good team, just give them credit. They did what they were supposed to, and we laid an egg. It's just one week. I am not preaching gloom and doom, not sure at all where that is coming from.. Guess it must be a TAFT thing..

Nothing I said was untrue, divisional games are unpredictable and records don't mean all that much coming into it. Tampa will be playing with intensity and for their season. Didn't see much chance for them this year, and a 0-3 start wouldn't help. Especially with a new HC who passed on drafting oline help and desperately had to make a trade before the season even really got started.

Falcons must come out and match their intensity, or at least weather the storm and respond against Tampa. We've seen what the team can play like in Week 1, hoping to see some more of it in Week 3.

When you are Tampa Bay with a new regime and you are 0-2 entering Week 3, I don't think it's too far off to say their season is on the line. Or do you think they'll be okay in the NFC South?

The execution was fine? really? I guess I need redefining of the word execution. I saw very little of the Falcons offense executing. Julio had his hands on the ball, didn't come down with it. Would have been a huge play and that's just one example. Multiple missed blocks, repetitive playcalling, poor protection, all that. If you think execution was fine, I'd ask for an objective set of plays that you feel the Falcons executed on considering you feel we could have "easily" beat the Bengals.

Playcalling looked like absolute horsecrap to me, and no we didn't run the ball just fine once they were up multiple scores. The Bengals blitzed us, and sat on Matt's hot route. They would deliver pressure, Ryan would throw to his receiver and almost every single time the defender was nearly on him. Koetter stuck with it, and didn't change anything up or at least didn't change it in a way that impacted the game at all, it's not the first time he's gotten pass happy and forgot about the run.

With how bad this offensive line is, we need that balance on offense. Plain and simple.

You give the Bengals credit, and then backhand them at the same time lol. Not taking anything away from the Bengals.. but we could have easily beat that team. Well guess what, we didn't. Who cares about what we "could" have done man?

Cincinnati is a darn good team, just give them credit. They did what they were supposed to, and we laid an egg. It's just one week. I am not preaching gloom and doom, not sure at all where that is coming from.. Guess it must be a TAFT thing..

Nothing I said was untrue, divisional games are unpredictable and records don't mean all that much coming into it. Tampa will be playing with intensity and for their season. Didn't see much chance for them this year, and a 0-3 start wouldn't help. Especially with a new HC who passed on drafting oline help and desperately had to make a trade before the season even really got started.

Falcons must come out and match their intensity, or at least weather the storm and respond against Tampa. We've seen what the team can play like in Week 1, hoping to see some more of it in Week 3.

I dont think they will be okay in the NFC South to begin with. That still doesnt make anything this early a season deciding game.

I said that the execution was lacking. I am fine with it overall considering its just one game. Sometimes you are just off. It happens. It isnt concerning to me. If you are concerned by Julio dropping a jumpball like that then I think you are worried about the wrong things.

A set of plays? Dont send an all-out blitz and leave Alford on an island. That makes the game 17-10 right there. Then lets see Matt avoid an interception and we are right in that game. Im not taking credit away from the Bengals, they made plays, but they didnt do anything that really scared me going forward. Nothing dominating.

Koetter absloutely did not forget about the run. Look at the play by play. We went down 24-3 and come out with 3 straight run plays. We ran the ball 12 times in the second half. How is that giving up on the run?

Koetter most certainly did adjust the pass concepts he was calling. We started with a lot of drags, hitches, slants (short stuff) to try and beat the press. We ended up moving away from that and getting into high low concepts and got the ball deeper down the field in the second half and we started moving throughthe air.

"Cincinnati is a darn good team, just give them credit. They did what they were supposed to, and we laid an egg. It's just one week. I am not preaching gloom and doom, not sure at all where that is coming from.. Guess it must be a TAFT thing.. "

I dont understand that statement. I had just said nearly the same thing to you. lol

And again, that last comment is basically mirroring what I hd just told you. smh