Its The Lb Not The Dl.

lju713

We are MEDIOCRE(Sherman voice)at the LB spot outside of Shembo. Spoon was meh and Worr and Bartu went undrafted for a reason. We wet the bed not signing D`Qwell Jackson and im hoping Spruill can recover. Soliali and Jackson hold up at the point of attack on most plays,but Worr and Bartu aren't making plays

why is it trendy to hate on worrilow and bartu all of a sudden?

i thought the defense played pretty well. 24 points wasnt that bad. we held them to FG attempts throughout the first half. we gave them that one TD on the kitchen sink blitz when we left alford one on one with no safety over the top. easily couldve been a completely different game if we get a lucky INT or fumble recovery. the pass rush was still bad, but the defense isnt nearly as bad as it has looked so far. we will be fine.

I'd say Bartu is a real weak point. He did absolutely nothing other than get blocked by the Bengals. Need to try Shembo instead of him.

Worrilow made a few good sticks - not saying he's perfect but we don't have any better options.

If we had just one DE who could generate a pass rush it would help also, because where all of our LBs struggle right now is in pass protection. Can't stick with those RBs or TEs very long. I think they were counting on Kroy but so far he has not shown any flashes at all.

why is it trendy to hate on worrilow and bartu all of a sudden?

People probably watched the Bengals game. Bartu was over matched constantly. Go watch that first TD run by Bernard and see what Bartu did. The Bengals ran it down our throats with no real passing threat to speak of.

Worrilow looked bad on a few plays so that's probably what people are latching onto for him. Or maybe they are just expecting him to magically save the defense. But Worrilow did his job. Takes 11 men, not just one.

Why does your team only use two linebackers in your base defense? I'm a Bengals fan and I was at the game yesterday and a bunch of us are curious. We talked in the stands and we couldn't figure a way to defend the run with only two linebackers.

That's actually a **** good question, because after Green left the game and Dalton was struggling to hit the broad side of a barn with no pass rush to speak of, we really should have gone with a normal 3-4 alignment to better shut down the run.

Why does your team only use two linebackers in your base defense? I'm a Bengals fan and I was at the game yesterday and a bunch of us are curious. We talked in the stands and we couldn't figure a way to defend the run with only two linebackers.

A lot of teams are like that now. Teams get a NB that can play the run and they focus on stopping the pass first.

A lot of teams are like that now. Teams get a NB that can play the run and they focus on stopping the pass first.

you can't play the run effectively with 2 linebackers. No way in ****. That is actually a good question. I say go back to the 4-3. We do not have enough good linebackers to run a 3-4. Not this year. Edited by rollo lawson

Okay, Coach and Lomoth, I can see what you mean -- and a 4-2-5 can work against Drew Brees and Cam Newton. However, you still have to play the Steelers, Ravens, and Browns and they have similar offenses to Cincinnati.

AJ Green isn't the only offensive weapon on the Bengals roster but apparently the national media has yet to figure this out. HAHA!

Anyway, I really like your team and I like your fans and I hope you DO beat the rest of the AFC North for us. Lord willing, Cincinnati will beat the rest of the NFC South.

Okay, Coach and Lomoth, I can see what you mean -- and a 4-2-5 can work against Drew Brees and Cam Newton. However, you still have to play the Steelers, Ravens, and Browns and they have similar offenses to Cincinnati.

AJ Green isn't the only offensive weapon on the Bengals roster but apparently the national media has yet to figure this out. HAHA!

Anyway, I really like your team and I like your fans and I hope you DO beat the rest of the AFC North for us. Lord willing, Cincinnati will beat the rest of the NFC South.

Exactly. I hadn't really thought of it until you pointed out, but we really should've shifted primarily into a run-stuffing defense. Not sure why we stayed in the 4-2-5. Failure to adjust by the coaches?

Bengals really earned my respect and I expect your team to do us multiple favors the rest of the way with our NFC South opponents.

Coach,

Thank you for your kind comments; I'm a Cincinnati native and I even loved my Bengals during the disastrous 1990s.

Your coaches did fail to adjust and I take no pleasure in saying that because Marvin Lewis didn't know how to do that at first either. I have scouted the NFC South and your defenses are built to counter each other's offenses, not to play the rest of the league. While it's true the NFL is pass-first now, it's not that way in the AFC North where all four teams are throwbacks to old fashioned run-it-first football. If you get a chance, watch some AFC North matchups because they are brutal. Even the Browns can lay the wood on defense Just ask Drew Brees.

Agreed with tour overall point. Around here people want to absolve our Defensive coordinator of any responsibility, but I think this is a main reason why he deserves blame.

When AJ went out, while your receivers are good, we shouldn't have put all our eggs in the "stop the pass" basket. Playing a NB consistently really hurts your ability to make any kind of play near the LOS

Here's the trick Hue Jackson pulled: When your two linebackers lined up on the strong side, Andy Dalton audibled the run to the weak side and vice versa. Andy's passing wasn't his best yesterday but his calling plays at the line is better than ever.

Paul Brown's old playbooks are still in the Bengals' Front Office -- and Hue Jackson uses them from time to time.

People probably watched the Bengals game. Bartu was over matched constantly. Go watch that first TD run by Bernard and see what Bartu did. The Bengals ran it down our throats with no real passing threat to speak of.

Worrilow looked bad on a few plays so that's probably what people are latching onto for him. Or maybe they are just expecting him to magically save the defense. But Worrilow did his job. Takes 11 men, not just one.

Worrilow did his job. Bartu looked bad at times. But overall the defense looked decent. If we dont leave Alford one on one on the outside against Sanu on that blitz, we are looking at a 17-10 ballgame. Football games are crazy. Some will go your way, some wont. The panick around the defense is an overreaction. We need to get after the passer, but for the most part we have done enough on defense to leave me feeling good about the unit going forward.

Here's the trick Hue Jackson pulled: When your two linebackers lined up on the strong side, Andy Dalton audibled the run to the weak side and vice versa. Andy's passing wasn't his best yesterday but his calling plays at the line is better than ever.

Paul Brown's old playbooks are still in the Bengals' Front Office -- and Hue Jackson uses them from time to time.

That's some NCAA football type ish haha

Coach,

Thank you for your kind comments; I'm a Cincinnati native and I even loved my Bengals during the disastrous 1990s.

Your coaches did fail to adjust and I take no pleasure in saying that because Marvin Lewis didn't know how to do that at first either. I have scouted the NFC South and your defenses are built to counter each other's offenses, not to play the rest of the league. While it's true the NFL is pass-first now, it's not that way in the AFC North where all four teams are throwbacks to old fashioned run-it-first football. If you get a chance, watch some AFC North matchups because they are brutal. Even the Browns can lay the wood on defense Just ask Drew Brees.

To be honest, this is the way the Bucs and Panthers are built too...I don't know what we are doing.

Mike nolan's overrated shenanigans.

He wants a defense like San Fran, and Seattle's. The issue is your little sister would be a day 1 starter on our defense as a pass rushing end. Our ilb (worrilow) was chasing Bernard like a chicken with his head cut off and looked clueless. And our cbs arent exactly large cbs like Seattles.

Also our run game is terrible. We don't block well consistantly, and we tend to favor overaged players.

Edited by osiruz

you can't play the run effectively with 2 linebackers. No way in ****. That is actually a good question. I say go back to the 4-3. We do not have enough good linebackers to run a 3-4. Not this year.

Well i don't agree with it but that's the reasoning. I'd rather go more 4-3 too, get Shembo more playing time.