Cincinnati Lost Their Defensive Coordinator, Still Has A Great D.

Power I

I haven't seen that topic discussed as much as it maybe should have. Cincinnati lost a defensive coordinator deemed good enough to be a head coach and their defense still looks great. Granted their current defensive coordinator has worked under Zimmer and for the Bengals for years, but the idea I'm presenting is that if your talent is good enough, players will make the plays necessary to win. Would anyone on this board seriously argue that Paul Guenther is a better defensive coordinator than Mike Nolan? There are serious flaws on this team and as far as I can see the biggest problem is that we just flat out aren't talented enough.

Guest facelessman07

Nolan ain't the problem

We added some talent, yet are about worse than last year. Think higher up on the totem pole

Edited by facelessman07

Guest Negatorris

Nolan ain't the problem

We added some talent, yet are about worse than last year. Think higher up on the totem pole

Nolan is definitely part of the problem.

Guest Negatorris

He's not responsible for problems that have existed prior to his arrival

So he should receive no blame for three seasons of soft azz defense that has regressed each year?

Guest facelessman07

So he should receive no blame for three seasons of soft azz defense that has regressed each year?

Not when we have a common denominator that has led to 7 seasons of sucky defense

Here in Cincinnati we actually consider Paul Guenther an improvement over Mike Zimmer. Mike was a great motivator and we were sad to see him leave -- even though we were happy he got a head coaching job -- but Paul is a better teacher and technician. I go to training camp and I see how Paul teaches the basics of tackling and getting into position to make a tackle and it's impressive. We hope he stays around awhile.

You have a good team so don't worry: All the pieces are there and the 2014 Falcons remind me a lot of the 2005 Bengals: A high powered offense but a defense that could not stop the run. In the NFC South you face Cam Newton and Drew Brees twice each a year so I can understand why Mike Nolan puts most of his draft eggs in the secondary basket.

Nolan ain't the problem

No. Nolan is the problem as well. They brought in Tyson Jackson, who was at his best as a run stuffing 3-4 DE, yet Nolan is using him inside. He persists on using Biermann despite it being blatantly obvious he's a liability. He keeps trying to force the 4-2-5 despite the very obvious weaknesses in personnel which make it impossible to run effectively and he is not responding to teams just running it down our throats, especially around the edge.

Guest facelessman07

No. Nolan is the problem as well. They brought in Tyson Jackson, who was at his best as a run stuffing 3-4 DE, yet Nolan is using him inside. He persists on using Biermann despite it being blatantly obvious he's a liability. He keeps trying to force the 4-2-5 despite the very obvious weaknesses in personnel which make it impossible to run effectively and he is not responding to teams just running it down our throats, especially around the edge.

Look at every Nolan D prior to Atlanta. He didn't magically turn into a sucky D coordinator once he got here. Smith gets his cap tipping, resilient hands in the D when he needs to leave it to someone who is PROVEN