The Film Don't Lie

Xfactor

A weekly look at what the Falcons must fix:

The Atlanta Falcons have to be more physical on both the offensive and defensive lines as they prepare for Thursday night's quick turnaround game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

On offense, right tackle Lamar Holmes got dominated with speed and power when he matched up against Bengals defensive end Carlos Dunlap. Holmes' poor technique was part of the reason Dunlap put two hits on quarterback Matt Ryan, including one that the Falcons thought was a "cheap shot" late in the game.

Defensively, one run in particular was indicative of how the Falcons got pushed around. Bengals rookie Jeremy Hill ran straight up the middle for a 13-yard gain with 4 minutes, 58 seconds left before halftime. Nose tackle Paul Soliai got caught leaning one way while fellow defensive lineman Tyson Jackson had to battle a double-team. Inside linebacker Paul Worrilow couldn't shed a block by an offensive lineman while outside linebacker Kroy Biermann stood and watched instead of his throwing his body in the way.

Maybe the Falcons were still stunned and tired by Giovani Bernard's 46-yard catch-and-run off a checkdown by Andy Dalton on the previous play. Whatever the case, the Falcons can't hope to have success stuffing the run if they let a running back bust through the middle like that.

Vaughn McClure

ESPN Atlanta Falcons reporter

Edited by Xfactor

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about the physicality, but I do know that we looked confused on defense and soft on offense.

Truly tough teams don't have to talk about their toughness. They don't have to throw punches after the whistle. They take care of business every play.

Sadly, we don't know what we are supposed to be doing and we don't block/tackle like a professional team.

Would getting 2 hits on a qb when that qb throws 44 or so times really be considered " dominating"??

I see where people are talking about Holmes but how many times did his guy actually hit Ryan??

Sorry but what part of Matt Ryan's game or the O-line's performance that you were proud about this past Sunday?

That pocket was clean when those picks were thrown and Ryan had over 6 seconds to scan the field on all 3. Ryan's picks cannot be blamed on anyone but Ryan.

That's why I love to rush the passer man. It gets in their head and doesn't leave. Their bodies still know the chance of being hit is there. It distracts them...its called "rattling their cage".

That's why I love to rush the passer man. It gets in their head and doesn't leave. Their bodies still know the chance of being hit is there. It distracts them...its called "rattling their cage".

nope...Those were just poor throws! Especially the deep throw to Douglas. Definitely should have been a rub route or a quick slant to Julio since Cinci sent a safety blitz on that play.