Falcons Headed For 4-2 Or Better Start

falcndave

Okay, I know objectivity is not allowed. That said, I felt we would find a buzz saw in Cincy, and we did. I thought we would be more competitive. Who knows, maybe we were only one Jones TD catch from this game looking very different (pass broken up in end zone that would have put us up 10-3).

The only difference between me a the bridge jumpers is this: I didn't expect us to spank the Bengals like a high school squad.

Here is what we have coming up.

Home vs. Tampa

@ Giants

@ Vikings

Home vs. Bears

We can be slightly below average and win all of those game. We are still not there yet, so I think we will lose to either the Bears or Vikings. That said, I think we beat Tampa and I think the Giants are in a world of hurt this season.

None of those teams are close to being the Saints or the Bengals. We really need to win them all. It will be hard for our lines to hold up well enough to struggle to .500 from week 7 on out.

After losing to a AJ Green less Bengals come on man!

Do you know that the Bengals are not the best team in the AFC? After watching the Patriots and the Broncos...they could be. Who knows? The system they are running now is well suited to Dalton's game. The have the OL and the running game to run the table with a game managing QB. You saw their defense yesterday.

I'm a little amazed by the lack of respect for the Bengals now. I didn't understand it last week, but it really amazes me now.

I'm more worried about the Giants than any of those other teams. All 3 of those other games are on turf. We always under perform on grass fields. Our worst Playoff game was the one where we played NY on their field. We looked slow and pathetic while our offense couldn't moved the ball at all.

On turf in Minny or at home, I feel good about our offense putting a lot of points on the board.

I can see us sitting between 3-3 and 5-1 after that stretch of games some but to be more realistic I'll say 4-2.

The TB game should be a win but after that it will get murky with going on the road for the next 2. NYG just looks terrible but not sure what Minnesota team we will get (or even if AP will be playing then). The Bears game is looking like it will be the toughest of them because of that offense.

I'm more worried about the Giants than any of those other teams. All 3 of those other games are on turf. We always under perform on grass fields. Our worst Playoff game was the one where we played NY on their field. We looked slow and pathetic while our offense couldn't moved the ball at all.

On turf in Minny or at home, I feel good about our offense putting a lot of points on the board.

I live in Upstate NY and watch Giants coverage until I'm sick of it. The Giants have a talent problem. Do not confuse this team with the typical Giants team in any way. If the Giants beat us, even on the road on grass, we can start mock drafts for next season. They really are that bad. I'd take Jacksonville over them right now.

I can see us sitting between 3-3 and 5-1 after that stretch of games some but to be more realistic I'll say 4-2.

The TB game should be a win but after that it will get murky with going on the road for the next 2. NYG just looks terrible but not sure what Minnesota team we will get (or even if AP will be playing then). The Bears game is looking like it will be the toughest of them because of that offense.

I don't fear the Bears because I don't fear Culter. He isn't a team guy. He is all about Cutler. He will get frustrated and make a critical mistake when his team needs him the most. He is Jeff George. I like Ryan over Cutler in the Dome every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I may not be totally objective, but I consider Cutler one of those guys whose talent is only exceeded by misplaced arrogance.

I live in Upstate NY and watch Giants coverage until I'm sick of it. The Giants have a talent problem. Do not confuse this team with the typical Giants team in any way. If the Giants beat us, even on the road on grass, we can start mock drafts for next season. They really are that bad. I'd take Jacksonville over them right now.

As a fellow New York'er, i concur.

I don't fear the Bears because I don't fear Culter. He isn't a team guy. He is all about Cutler. He will get frustrated and make a critical mistake when his team needs him the most. He is Jeff George. I like Ryan over Cutler in the Dome every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I may not be totally objective, but I consider Cutler one of those guys whose talent is only exceeded by misplaced arrogance.

Me at the thought of Cutler thinking highly enough of himself to be arrogant:

vladimir-putin-laughing.gif

Any game we play on the road is a tough game,when crowd noise makes it tough to change plays we screw up plus our defense is total crap,if we get Jake back it will help a lot.I expect us to score 28-32 on the Bucs ,our defense has to get better ,right now its the worst in the NFL.I always believe it takes 4 games before you can judge a team, after 2 we look very average,and I'm being optimistic.

Edited by toadfishtom

Great post falcdave.

All of us can only hope that the litany of mistakes and miscommunication will be start clearing up as the team continues to gel with all these new pieces on both sides of the ball.

There was no question in my mind that Marvin Lewis saw were we're blowing gap assignments and confused against the Saints and game planned exactly for that knowing a loud road game would exacerbate the issues he saw on film.

We need Mathews to get healthy ASAP and I think our line will dramatically improve. It was in shambles yesterday reminiscent of 2013 but this is NOT the 2013 line regardless of what the sky is falling sect around here is wailing about. With a few games under their belt they should be a lot more on the same page than they weren't yesterday.

Our run defense is in shambles because no one is on the same page. It was an ugly debacle yesterday, but we have talent and beef on that line regardless of what the sky is falling crowd thinks. good run defense is predicated on all 11 defenders being on the same page. Yesterday they clearly all had different pages. We just need a mediocre defense to win 9 games or so and be in playoff run at end of season.

We also need our coaching staff to get on the same page, I'm not convinced the new OL, DL and OLB coaches are 100% on same page as the other coaches who have been here and that any of them have settled into the new defensive scheme we are implementing this year.

The good part of this is if we can go 4-2, be 2-0 in the division, 3-1 in the conference and 0-1 in the AFC WHILE we are all getting on the same page, we can go into second half of the season a much better team than the one that beat the Saints.

*waits for the sky is falling sect to chime in with gloom and doom*

MetLife Stadium is turf too, same that the Bengals have.

Okay, I know objectivity is not allowed. That said, I felt we would find a buzz saw in Cincy, and we did. I thought we would be more competitive. Who knows, maybe we were only one Jones TD catch from this game looking very different (pass broken up in end zone that would have put us up 10-3).

The only difference between me a the bridge jumpers is this: I didn't expect us to spank the Bengals like a high school squad.

Here is what we have coming up.

Home vs. Tampa

@ Giants

@ Vikings

Home vs. Bears

We can be slightly below average and win all of those game. We are still not there yet, so I think we will lose to either the Bears or Vikings. That said, I think we beat Tampa and I think the Giants are in a world of hurt this season.

None of those teams are close to being the Saints or the Bengals. We really need to win them all. It will be hard for our lines to hold up well enough to struggle to .500 from week 7 on out.

This team can't be "slightly below average" and be given the benefit of the doubt to squeak past anyone. If any of those teams have an above average game when we're playing slightly below average we can darn well lose, even against the lowly Giants. We definitely can't play below average against the Bears. On top of that, I fully expect our game versus Tampa to be decided by 7 points or less at the end, whether we win or lose, they won't be rolling over.

We have problems but at least we aren't these 0 and 2 guys...

sean-payton-arguing-with-rob-ryan-during-cleveland-game.gif

To be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing a little of this out of two head coaches right now: Mike Smith and Mark Richt.

Payton has earned the right and the respect to get in some people's faces. I like the stoic look (Tom Landry, Chuck Noll, etc,) as much as anyone else but when your butt is being handed to you like that of the Falcons yesterday, give me some Lombardi or Cowher to chew some zzz...right on the sideline in front of the whole darn world to see if warranted.