Ypg-Wise, We Have Worst Defense In The League

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?conference=ALL&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&season=2014&seasonType=REG&experience=&tabSeq=2&role=OPP

Not sure why a bigger deal hasn't made of this. Yes you could make the argument that most teams get gashed by the Saints, but were just as bad against the injury-riddled Bengals. There will be no playoffs without a drastic turnaround (pass rush and LB play have been pathetic).

Edit: WE have lol

Edited by Borat
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, we're on track to be the worst defense in the league.... and this is with a defensive head coach...

This is the most disconcerting and frankly, baffling thing to comprehend. Usually a team has the personally of it's head coach, be it offensive, defensive or both. When you think of an offensive personality you think of Sean Peyton; when you think of a defensive personality you think of Ron Rivera. In both cases they are two of the best offenses and defenses in the NFL.

After 7 seasons we are still one of the worst defenses in the NFL...baffling!

This is the most disconcerting and frankly, baffling thing to comprehend. Usually a team has the personally of it's head coach, be it offensive, defensive or both. When you think of an offensive personality you think of Sean Peyton; when you think of a defensive personality you think of Ron Rivera. In both cases they are two of the best offenses and defenses in the NFL.

After 7 seasons we are still one of the worst defenses in the NFL...baffling!

it tells me that Mike Smith is not and never was much of a defensive tactician - in Baltimore, Smith was the D-Line coach where he had overwhelming talent - in Jax, Smitty was DC when he had overwhelming D-Line talent.

Smitty is a good administrator but not so much a strategic coach.

It hurts me to say this but It is mostly TD's fault. He has tried but 1) Bad to average drafts. 2)Not so good FA acquisitions 3) Failure to pick up key personal once season starts and there is a known area of concern. 4)Blind Faith with some veterans. 5) Willing to over pay some players. 6) Don't have a Staff that can develop different types of players and personalities. That being said I believe and want for TD and FO to get it done. But we just can't have this BLIND FAITH everything is alright and we will be OK. Because that is just what we will be= OK.

I don't get it, Mike Nolan has one of the best resumes of any D-coordinator in the league. He has turned around several defenses and made them top 10 if not top 5. Either he doesn't have the players or Smith is holding him back. There's no other explanation.

It's an interesting question but part of it is definitely player and player development.

Another part of it is Smith's loyalty to players and coaches. BVG should have been fired immediately following the GB playoff massacre. Biermann should NEVER be on the field on passing downs but yet it seems like he's always there.

I don't get it, Mike Nolan has one of the best resumes of any D-coordinator in the league. He has turned around several defenses and made them top 10 if not top 5. Either he doesn't have the players or Smith is holding him back. There's no other explanation.

It is the lack of elite pass rusher. And that Smith forced him into 4-3, and still holds him down to 4-3 elements.

Or Mike Nolan's "genius" is a product of having really good players at his disposal. The more I see of Nolan, the less I think that he is all that good. Our defense looks stupid at times, always out of position, huge wholes in the zones for any team (and I do mean any team) to exploit, and completely lacking of fundamental techniques like tackling and spotting the mismatches. Example: I saw Worrilow trying to cover a WR, and William Moore was no were to provide help. Luckily Dalton didn't see the mismatch, because it would have been a certain TD. I see nothing dynamic going on with the Falcons D. Nothing!

It is the lack of elite pass rusher. And that Smith forced him into 4-3, and still holds him down to 4-3 elements.

I highly doubt that Nolan was forced to do anything. From what Iv'e heard and seen, Nolan has the run of the defense. Yes, we lack an elite pass rusher, but so do other teams, yet they still find ways two get pressure and sacks. The Falcons do nothing to disguise looks, or disrupt timing. I also question how they break down film on their opponent, because they look like they are still in preseason form out there.

I highly doubt that Nolan was forced to do anything. From what Iv'e heard and seen, Nolan has the run of the defense. Yes, we lack an elite pass rusher, but so do other teams, yet they still find ways two get pressure and sacks. The Falcons do nothing to disguise looks, or disrupt timing. I also question how they break down film on their opponent, because they look like they are still in preseason form out there.

Nolan is known commodity in the NFL. There is also little doubt that he was pressured into a 4-3 system because that's what Smith preferred, but also because that's what we had the personnel for.

I blame both Nolan and Smith. I've seen aggressive look in the past during Denver, saints, and giants game. But I think we are putting wrong guy on the field during wrong down. Smith believes in switching guys a lot which I never liked it. Some defensive player needs time too settle down but our dline rotates a lot so you only get selective play. It hurts too get in rhythms..again, what the $&$$ do I know, all I spend money as a session ticket holders and jerseys etc lol

it looks to me to be a jimmy and joe problem. they flat out aren't as good as their counterpart lining up against them. that's a personnel decision and lays on everyone involved. not just the gm.

That's it! The G.M and coaching staff did not put together a competitive roster in several key areas.

We don't have the personnel to execute what the coaching staff is implementing.