Acknowledgement Of Carimi.

TrufantIsland

We are very fast to jump conclusions, especially with guys like Gabe. Bu he played a good game last night. I think that he should start thursday. Holmes has struggled the first two games and he is not improving. This is only relevant if matthews is ready for the game.

Carimi has surprised me. He is without a doubt an upgrade over Locklear, Trueblood,Schraeder and Holmes.

We are very fast to jump conclusions, especially with guys like Gabe. Bu he played a good game last night. I think that he should start thursday. Holmes has struggled the first two games and he is not improving. This is only relevant if matthews is ready for the game.

Carimi has surprised me. He is without a doubt an upgrade over Locklear, Trueblood,Schraeder and Holmes.

And he should be. He was a 1st rounder

For Chits and Giggles...

Early years[edit]

Carimi was born in Lake Forest, Illinois. He attended Monona Grove High School in Monona, Wisconsin. He started there as a 6 ft 5 in (1.96 m), 220-pound (100 kg) freshman.[3] He grew into his body, worked on his flexibility, and developed his athleticism by becoming a karate black belt.[3] He credits his karate training with laying a foundation for his later discipline, improving his flexibility, and helping him develop the hand coordination and hand placement he uses as a football player.[4]

He was on the high school's track team. Seeded 15th in the state in discus as a senior, he placed 5th in the 2006 Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association track and field Division 1 discus championships, at 157 ft 8 in (48.1 m). He earned four letters in track, and was team captain in his senior year.[5][6][7]

Carimi also played football for the high school's Silver Eagles.[8] Playing both offensive and defensive tackle, he lettered for four years. In 2005, the Silver Eagles ran behind him 70% of the time when he was at offensive tackle, while as adefensive end he had five quarterback sacks.[5][9]

He was voted a football Parade All-American and PrepStar All-American as a senior, while he captained the team.[5][10] He was also the Capital Times and Wisconsin State Journal Player of the Year, first-team all-state in 2005, a first-team selection by the Associated Press and the Wisconsin Football Coaches Association (as a two-way player), and was twice first-team all-conference.[5][9] Regarded as a three-star recruit by Rivals.com, Carimi was rated the No. 3 football player in Wisconsin and the No. 30 offensive tackle prospect in the class of 2006.[5][11] His coach Mike Stassi predicted: "He's going to be the new wave of offensive linemen, that can run and move. And this guy's got it all."[9]

College career; All-American and Outland Trophy[edit]

Carimi elected to attend his hometown University of Wisconsin-Madison. He chose it because of its academic and football reputations, a scholarship that he was offered, and its proximity to his home.[12] He majored in civil engineering, and played football for the Wisconsin Badgers football team.[13][14]

He had played right tackle and defensive end in high school. But in his freshman year in 2006, during which time he was redshirted, he began practicing at left tackle, because it was the next open spot.[14] He was described that season as running very well, and having tenacity, athletic ability, and impressive lateral movement while pass-blocking.[10]

Carimi started all 13 games as a freshman at left tackle for the Badgers in 2007, replacing All-American Joe Thomas, who was drafted by the Cleveland Browns at No. 3 in the first round of the 2007 NFL Draft.[15] He was a second-team Freshman All-American selection by Rivals.com and The Sporting News, and a first-team Freshman All-Big-Ten selection by The Sporting News, as well as an Academic All-Big-Ten.[5]

220px-Gabe_Carimi_with_axe_in_the_tunnel.jpg

Carimi in 2009

As a sophomore in 2008, he started all 10 games he played in. That year he was second-team Pre-season All-Big Ten by Lindy's and Athlon Sports, honorable mention Sophomore All-American byCollege Football News, and Academic All-Big Ten.[5]

As a junior in 2009, he started all 13 games.[16] He was a first-team Mid-season All-Big Ten selection by Phil Steele, a first-team All-Big Ten selection by media, a fourth-team All-American by Phil Steele, and Academic All-Big Ten.[5] Commenting in Sports Illustrated in October 2009, Tony Pauline wrote: "Carimi is the next great offensive lineman to come from the Badger program. He's a terrific pass-protecting left tackle, with the size necessary to grow into a dominant run blocker."[17]

During his senior year in 2010, when he was co-Captain of the Big Ten champion Badgers, Phil Steele made him a mid-season first-team All-American selection.[18] He contributed to an offense that was ranked 5th in the nation in scoring (at 41.5 ppg), and 12th in rushing (at 245.7 yards per game).[19][20][21]

As a senior, Carimi won the 2010 Outland Trophy, awarded to the nation's top collegiate interior lineman.[19][22][23][24] He was the second Outland Trophy winner in school history, joining Joe Thomas, and the 14th Big Ten awardee.[22][24][25] Seven of the prior ten Outland Trophy winners were top-10 NFL draft picks.[25]

He also was named the Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year, and was recognized as a unanimous first-team All-American, having received first-team honors from the Associated Press, American Football Coaches Association, Football Writers Association of America, Sporting News, and Walter Camp Football Foundation.[26][27] In addition, he was a consensus first-team All-Big Ten selection, and Academic All-Big Ten, and won the Wayne Souza Coaches Appreciation Award (Offense).[24][28]He helped Wisconsin to an 11–2 record for the season, and a Rose Bowl appearance.[29] At the start of his senior year he had been named a pre-season first-team All-American by Lindy's and Consensus Draft Services, a first-team All-American and All-Big Ten by Athlon Sports, second-team All-American and first-team All-Big Ten by Phil Steele, second-team All-American by The Kickoff, first-team All-Big Ten by Blue Ribbon, and named to the Rotary Lombardi Award Watch List.[28] He was named a mid-season first-team All-American and first-team mid-season All-Big Ten by Phil Steele, and second-team All-American by Sports Illustrated.[28] In March 2011, the National Jewish Sports Hall of Fame awarded him the Marty Glickman Award, as the male Jewish Athlete of the Year.[30]

In college, he started 49 of a possible 52 games, all at left tackle.[25][31] In an April 2011 interview, he indicated that he had still never been to a professional football game in his life.[4][14]

Professional career[edit]

2011 NFL Draft[edit]

Carimi was drafted in the first round of the 2011 NFL Draft by the Chicago Bears, with the 29th pick on April 28, 2011. The Bears had actually sought to "trade up", and pick Carimi even earlier in the draft. They tried to make a trade with the Baltimore Ravens, to use Baltimore's earlier slot to select Carimi at No. 26, but the trade had fallen through at the last moment due to a miscommunication.[32] In the year prior to drafting Carimi, the Bears had allowed a league-high 56 sacks, and ranked 22nd in running the ball.[33]

Bears Head Coach Lovie Smith said Carimi would come in as a left tackle. General Manager Jerry Angelo said he is versatile enough to play both left and right tackle, while Smith said the Bears would keep all options open, including potentially that of guard.[34] He was nicknamed "The Bear Jew" after the Bears drafted him, a reference to a character in the movie Inglourious Basterds, by Chicago radio personality Dan Bernstein, of 670 "The Score." Carimi tweeted that he was considering adopting the nickname.[35][36]

At the January 2011 Senior Bowl weigh-in, Carimi was the second-tallest player at 6 feet 7.125 inches (2.01 m), had the second-longest arms (35.25 inches), and had the second-longest wingspan (83.25 inches; second to Mississippi State’s Derek Sherrod).[37][38] His hand size was 10.38 inches, and he weighed in at 315 pounds, 10 pounds lighter than his playing weight in college.[4][38][39][40] ESPN analysts rated him the third-best player at the Senior Bowl.[37]

"On the field it is a grimy sport, and you have to be tough and physical."[4]

— Gabe Carimi

NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock observed that Carimi is "a little bit like a Jon Runyan. He's kind of got a little nasty to him."[41][42] Mayock also described him as "a thug, which I mean in a positive sense", and commented on his ability as a run blocker.[43] He added: "I think he’s the kind of guy ... you try ... at left tackle, and if he can’t handle the speed out there, you’ve got an all-pro right tackle."[44]

Matt Bowen of the National Football Post said that Carimi was his favorite prospect in the draft, and was one of the five players who most impressed him at Senior Bowl activities.[45][46][47] Bowen thought his pass protection was at NFL standards, noting that he had "good enough feet to get back and attack speed off of the edge because of his reach. There is no doubt Carimi can win up front in the run game," while adding that he "is the type of player you want in the locker room."[46][47] Wes Bunting of the National Football Post said: he understands angles, and he's a real velcro player. I mean, once he gets those big paws on you and he has these long arms, it's really tough to disengage from... No one gets after the run game as well as Carimi.[48]

Edited by Quarterback

I don't see how these guys can stand in front of a microphone a spew there B.S. about toughness and the offensive and defensive lines.

We all knew the offensive line was a big question mark this year but Mike Smith and TD seem to almost speak with arrogance and over confidence.

Mike Smith on the subject: We have the right guys this year to be successful. The offensive line is a strength this year we have several guys who are MULTI-faceted! We want to be Multiple!

TD on the subject: We added allot of depth to the offensive line and were are happy with the depth we have now. I like how our guys are competing.

This is the coaching issue IMHO...JM to RT. Carimi swing tackle.

Yeah, I thought that Holmes has never really looked good at RT, with the exception against vanilla pass rushes this preseason. I don't claim to be an expert, but it seems like Carimi has better power to play RT, and should probably start playing there permanently. When Jake gets back, plug him in at LT because we all know Baker is gone next year, so better have Jake get comfortable there.

who is Locklear?

Trueblood is still on the team?

Yes, he's upgrade over Holmes for sure.

I don't know why people keep repeating this untrue garbage. If Holmes' feet are so slow they look like they are stuck in a tar pit, how do you expect him to play LT? And no he was not better at left tackle, he was even worse. Let me remind you:

qgBaDjA.png

Holmes cannot play OT in this league. His feet are way too slow and he moves in slow motion. If the coaches had any sense he wouldn't be on the field.

I could give a rats *** about pff numbers. I judge by what I saw watching the games. You can disagree with that if you want, I won't stop you.