There Is One Team In The Nfl That Has Zero Sacks Right Now...

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yep - 7 years of data is not a pattern - its reality. We do have a new better coach in Bryan Cox - but seems like we don't have any players. BY ACCIDENT, some player should have broken through to be a serious passrusher by now. It is really hard for an NFL team with all the access to players/talent - it is hard to go that many years without accidently lucking into a passrusher.

Agreed

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Drafting OT in the first wasn't the problem.

Hages was the problem. He was bpa and I like him a lot, but he's honestly the 4th string DT. Meanwhile wr don't have a true starting pass rusher like attachou

I totally agree at this point. I think Hageman can be good, but right now the bigger need is pass rusher and Attachou has a chance to be really good too.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Drafting OT in the first wasn't the problem.

Hages was the problem. He was bpa and I like him a lot, but he's honestly the 4th string DT. Meanwhile wr don't have a true starting pass rusher like attachou

Hagemen made for great feel good tv on hard knocks but through two weeks he's making zero contributions and he's getting pushed around. If hard knocks ran all season, I imagine we'd see Cox losing his voice by yelling at him so much during the week.

Maybe he'll be a good player eventually, but it's not now. He was the kind of luxury pick a team with a good defense could have taken. Not one that desperately needed immediate contributions.

I complain about the rush, but I don't know who could have helped up this offseason aside from a big trade. I don't think we appealed to the older guys (Allen/Ware).

Bennett wasn't coming here over Seattle/Chicago. C. Clemons maybe was a possibility but he went to Jax (G. Bradley) very quickly. L. Houston isn't a big sack guy.M. Johnson was paid a lot and I don't think he was an answer. Probably missing some guys.

The yr before when Avril and Bennett got less money than they should have, we could have done something possibly.

I think what irks me is that the Seahawks get so much credit for drafting well, and they've done that, but the reason that defense performs so well is b/c two years ago they gave Avril a decent contract that was completely guaranteed for two years (nothing ridiculous) and gave Michael Bennett a 1 year "show me" deal for a measly $5M or so. Either one of those guys could have been had. Other guys have been more expensive but there's been some talent we could have gone after and we've gone after no one really and it shows. The 2nd year in a row of this is inexcusable and Dimitroff should get roasted for it.

He possibly would have come here, because of wanting to play in a 3-4 and he was going back to Carolina before GB offered a deal, but he has as many sacks as us right now, and that is playing opposite Matthews.

Yeah I'm not saying he's a great option, but he was probably the only fit we could have had. However, I doubt 4-12 is something he was looking at

We don't have a PASS RUSHER. We needed to secure in the off season but failed to do so. Now we either sit back and struggle all year because of no pass rush or we get bold and try to trade for Justin Houston. These problems just won't get "fixed" during the year

While I agree with you that we needed a pass rusher, its impossible to fix every problem in one offseason, especially as exposed as we were last year. It can be argued that OL & DT were just as important holes to fill as pass rusher. You can add LB & FS into that conversation as well. We attempted to fix the lines first (which IMO was the right way to go since those have needed addressing for the last 15 years) then it seems we hoped to patch up the LB/FS spots with bandaids & also hoped to get some pass rush from our different schemed looks.

Problem is, our D alignment just won't work. We don't have the athletes at LB to effectively run a 4-2-5. Not sure why the coaching staff thought that would be a smart move. We will never get a pass rush out of that formation with the guys we're putting at DE. The ONLY chance we had was to stand a couple of those guys up and rush them from a 3-4 look, but we're not doing that at all. So they are overcompensating for the lack of a pass rush with 5 DBs. Then running a zone for the most part, which our LBs suck at so we're leaving the middle of the field 8 - 12 yards deep, wide open. It's a piss poor job by the defensive staff of player utilization & scheming. Smitty is a defensive coach & he's condoning it, so that part falls on him, but Nolan isn't doing him any favors either. Add to that Koetter is a freaking moron and we're looking a lot more like that 4-12 team than the teams we've had prior to 2013 under Smitty.

Hagemen made for great feel good tv on hard knocks but through two weeks he's making zero contributions and he's getting pushed around. If hard knocks ran all season, I imagine we'd see Cox losing his voice by yelling at him so much during the week.

Maybe he'll be a good player eventually, but it's not now. He was the kind of luxury pick a team with a good defense could have taken. Not one that desperately needed immediate contributions.

He has been going up against two of the best interior lines there are. But so far not good

I totally agree at this point. I think Hageman can be good, but right now the bigger need is pass rusher and Attachou has a chance to be really good too.

Its just the fact that he's the 4th DT. People said we shouldn't draft a WR? Same freaking think. Except soliai and Jackson are on 5 year deals where as WR could have an opening soon with Roddy or Harry...

While I agree with you that we needed a pass rusher, its impossible to fix every problem in one offseason, especially as exposed as we were last year. It can be argued that OL & DT were just as important holes to fill as pass rusher. You can add LB & FS into that conversation as well. We attempted to fix the lines first (which IMO was the right way to go since those have needed addressing for the last 15 years) then it seems we hoped to patch up the LB/FS spots with bandaids & also hoped to get some pass rush from our different schemed looks.

That may be true but with Dimitroff this issue is compounded b/c we've NEVER had a good pass rush under him. There have been years when we've had a decent Oline, decent DTs, but we've only had ONE pass rusher that was worth a d*mn in Dimitroff's tenure and we're still waiting on it to be corrected. Such a glaring issue should have been improved in some way.

Its just the fact that he's the 4th DT. People said we shouldn't draft a WR? Same freaking think. Except soliai and Jackson are on 5 year deals where as WR could have an opening soon with Roddy or Harry...

You are not seriously arguing that Falcons should have drafted a WR in 2014 draft, are you?

Willing to give them some slack so far this year-got 8 new starters on D compared to the start of the 2013 season. And they've gone up against two of the best offenses they'll face this year.

If the youngsters on the D don't step up, going to be a long year though.

Matthews coming back would help them considerably too- longer sustained drive and more points by the offense would make the D's job easier. Tampa is a thoroughly pedestrian offense- they better look good on thursday.

How in the world do you get that from my comment?

I said drafting a 4th DT was as much of a luxury as drafting a WR. Except WR will have a hole in the near future, where DT will not

I hardly think Hageman was drafted to be the "4th DT". Sure, that is what he is right now - but he has a skill set that no other player has on Falcons roster - he is a "high ceiling guy" - very different from the "try hard/team captain/limited talent" guy that Dimitroff has drafted the last 7 years - to mostly failed results.

Hopefully there is a plan to get Hageman more involved from week-to-week as he grows/learns what it takes to be an NFL player.