Improving The Ol And Dl

rohan_mehta86

I fear that our OL and DL are far from being ready to compete at a high level. Is it possible that we need a repeat of this past offseason of bringing in a free agent OL and DL and then again drafting OL and DL with our first two picks (and hopefully landing better talent this time)?

I do think LB is also a need but the lines still need to be addressed first.

What do you think?

Well, they are starting two backups at OT and the entire WR corps was putting in a half assed effort throughout the game which forced Ryan to hold onto the ball way too long so that didn't help matters either. Whatever promise Holmes has shown seems to have evaporated as well [to our resident RT in the 1st round guy: I still don't want a RT in the 1st round]. They'll be getting rid of Baker and Blalock in all likelihood so they'll be looking to replace and upgrade LG and RT, which is what I've been expecting anyway.

A pass rusher or two are obviously needed on defense, which isn't news. I'd still like to see Shembo get a shot at ILB which will probably happen sooner than later because Bartu is not cutting it despite the love affair with him on these boards. I'm also not a fan of the persistent nickel scheme since that is hurting us badly against the run.

I fear that our OL and DL are far from being ready to compete at a high level. Is it possible that we need a repeat of this past offseason of bringing in a free agent OL and DL and then again drafting OL and DL with our first two picks (and hopefully landing better talent this time)?

I do think LB is also a need but the lines still need to be addressed first.

What do you think?

Well Baker will be back to resume his LT spot, which in turn will shift Matthews back to RT, so I don't think OL is a priority

Scherff would be a great RT, but I really feel like we need to find a stud pass rusher first and foremost. Those are way harder to come by IMO.

Not to mention that Scherff is going to be a top 10 pick as a LT. I get the draft crush with Scherff since I was on his train last year until he decided to stay in school but this guy is seriously struggling with context.

Well Baker will be back to resume his LT spot, which in turn will shift Matthews back to RT, so I don't think OL is a priority

I never want to see Baker again.

Not to mention that Scherff is going to be a top 10 pick as a LT. I get the draft crush with Scherff since I was on his train last year until he decided to stay in school but this guy is seriously struggling with context.

Yeah I agree. Not willing to trade up for him but hey the idea is great! Lol

Nope. They can cut him and cut someone else (Blalock) to offset the cost. Considering how Blalock isn't worth his salt and Baker's constant injuries along with Matthews being drafted it's most likely going to happen in the offseason.

That's a lot of dead money. Keep both for another season and work on the defense

My take resign Carimi & Spoon to one year deals. Sign Orakpo or Houston in FA and let Osi and Biermann walk. Cut Steven Jackson. Draft :

1st round (20-32) Todd Gurley - RB

2nd round (52-64) Devonte Field - OLB/DE

3rd round (84-96) AJ Cann - OG

Two Facts: Noah Spence and Devonte Field will not be drafted to Falcons*

*as long as Dimitroff is GM and Arthur Blank owns the team.

That's a lot of dead money. Keep both for another season and work on the defense

Baker was garbage and injury prone throughout his career and it was Dimitroff's dumb mistake to give him an extension just for doing his job and staying healthy in his contract year. Now he's coming off knee surgeries in both knees in consecutive years. Sometimes it's better to simply accept the sunk cost and move on, especially when you have a much better player waiting in the wings to play LT. You're also making it seem like RTs are as difficult to find as a good LT... in reality they can be found throughout the draft and free agency.

Also, by cutting him along with Blalock (who needs to be upgraded on anyway) they have a net gain in cap space. Again, it's time to move on from them. Also, in response to your other post: Carimi is ******* garbage. Always has been and always will be.

Baker was garbage and injury prone throughout his career and it was Dimitroff's dumb mistake to give him an extension just for doing his job and staying healthy in his contract year. Now he's coming off knee surgeries in both knees in consecutive years. Sometimes it's better to simply accept the sunk cost and move on, especially when you have a much better player waiting in the wings to play LT. You're also making it seem like RTs are as difficult to find as a good LT... in reality they can be found throughout the draft and free agency.

Also, by cutting him along with Blalock (who needs to be upgraded on anyway) they have a net gain in cap space. Again, it's time to move on from them. Also, in response to your other post: Carimi is ******* garbage. Always has been and always will be.

There's nothing we can do about the contract now. He got paid. I never said RT are hard to find. Where did you get that from? What I was saying is why would you pick a OT in the first round when you have a LT in Baker who is under contract and a pretty good rookie who can play RT and LT. I could care less how Carimi looked as a Bear/Buc as that's not my team. He has been solid so far and makes a good backup. I didn't finished my mock above but I would have chosen OT, Daryl Williams Oklahoma in the 4th

Why cut a player(s) when our depth is not that great and we can focus solely on pass rush in FA and the draft?

My take resign Carimi & Spoon to one year deals. Sign Orakpo or Houston in FA and let Osi and Biermann walk. Cut Steven Jackson. Draft :

1st round (20-32) Todd Gurley - RB

2nd round (52-64) Devonte Field - OLB/DE

3rd round (84-96) AJ Cann - OG

If we got Gurley in the first,and Shaq Thompson in the 2nd. Sign J.Houston in FA we will contend for a title. Roddy is older so we need another playmaker on O

There's nothing we can do about the contract now. He got paid. I never said RT are hard to find. Where did you get that from? What I was saying is why would you pick a OT in the first round when you have a LT in Baker who is under contract and a pretty good rookie who can play RT and LT. I could care less how Carimi looked as a Bear/Buc as that's not my team. He has been solid so far and makes a good backup. I didn't finished my mock above but I would have chosen OT, Daryl Williams Oklahoma in the 4th

Why cut a player(s) when our depth is not that great and we can focus solely on pass rush in FA and the draft?

1. I said in my first post in this thread I do not want a RT in the 1st round.

2. Baker getting paid does not equate to him being worth a roster spot. Combine his injury history, historic poor performances, and two reconstructed knees you come with one conclusion: Get rid of him. Dead money is immaterial, especially when that dead money can be offset by other necessary cuts. The real question is how in God's name you view Baker as a quality starter let alone depth.

3. People said the same thing about Trueblood last year as they're saying about Carimi now. Neither are decent, they're choosing to ignore blatant deficiencies because they want something to work. Just watch his performance during the Saints game FFS. OTs should not be falling over and getting thrown around like he was throughout that game. Also, his history in the league does matter.

4. It's, "couldn't care less." 'Could care less,' means nothing.