Uga Observations, And 1 Question

Isosceles

This is not to patronize, pamper, or give any false hope to UGA fans.

First off, there is no way UGA should not be 4-1 going into the Missouri game.

By then, problem areas ought to be improved, particularly on defense.

Here are some things I noted and kept thinking about during the 1st half of the SC game.

They may not all be accurate:

- nice catch for good yardage by a freshman

- nice catch for good yardage by another freshman

- good rushing yardage by a freshman

- good rushing yardage by another freshman

- catch made by veteran receiver (Bennett)

So I thought, in spite of weaknesses, like on defense. this team is loaded with talent. If only they

could put it all together for an entire game during the whole stretch of the season

My one question is (and I am only asking because I do not know):

Why is Gurley coming out so often, always getting stretched and worked on?

I distinctively remember Herschel getting the ball on practically every play during KEY

fourth quarter drives/possessions in 1980. On top of all his work prior to those drives.

People want to compare Gurley to Jim Brown of all players. So I wonder about this. Comments?

I know people are sensing an 8-4 season, the defense giving up 80 points to Auburn, etc.

But I would not be surprised to see Georgia reel off 7 wins in a row, to 10 wins in a row and be back in Atlanta rated No. 2 or 3 in the nation. Sure there is danger. But the possibility for 11-1 is still very real.

Oh, did any of you see Florida/Kentucky? So right now Gawd please no don’t worry about the game in Jacksonville.

Dawg fans I know you are hurting. But feel free to comment, or not.

Thanks

I'm not hurting, I'm a grown *** man lol...

Game was officiated horribly and we had some boneheaded playcalling in key spots, compounded by the fact our defense was playing red rover instead of football.

I really still love our chances at winning the East. Mostly because it's weak but also because we'll get better and no the sky is not falling. Lots of inexperience on this d in particular; opening with Clemson and South Carolina isn't ideal. We didn't have the luxury of breaking these guys in against cupcakes.

My guess...he's not in peak game shape. It's was only the second game, had last week off, and there was more of a rotation in the Clemson game. He played more in this game and maybe got a little tired or cramped up. It's early in the season and he is very conscious about making it the distance this year.

Yeah I'm definitely not hurting after that loss because of the fact we played sooo bad and still had chances to win. I fully expect the Dawgs to win the East and get back to the Dome. The days of 1 running back offenses are gone and I like the fact that we are playing Chubb, Michel, and Marshall on order to give Gurley breaks. I think that Gurley is in shape and I personally don't see anything wrong with him. We have at least 10 possibly 12 games left and I'm sure the staff would rather have a healthy and fresh Gurley for all of those games.

Yeah I'm definitely not hurting after that loss because of the fact we played sooo bad and still had chances to win. I fully expect the Dawgs to win the East and get back to the Dome. The days of 1 running back offenses are gone and I like the fact that we are playing Chubb, Michel, and Marshall on order to give Gurley breaks. I think that Gurley is in shape and I personally don't see anything wrong with him. We have at least 10 possibly 12 games left and I'm sure the staff would rather have a healthy and fresh Gurley for all of those games.

yep sounds about right.

Ok, ok. nice comments. I appreciate them.

I heard plenty of fans on the radio afterwards moaning the same old Richt’s gotta go stuff.

BUT I DO NOT WISH TO GO THERE IN THIS LITTLE THREAD.

I am glad to see you all are not hurting.

One thing I can say about UGA, and it has been true for the last several years. They are fascinating, in terms of players and potential.

One more thing: I also do not think Gurley has lost his 1st place position in the Heisman race at all.

Heck, the sports yappers on tv were and are still talking about the 54-yard touchdown run as if it actually counts!

I'm fine with the touches TGII3 got......Except for the three I felt like he sould have gotten...from the 4 yard line.

I think Spurriers offecsive mind just got the better of our DBs inexperience. AND he got the better of Pruitt. SOS is just a football cach to the core.

Ref's are Ref's...you win some and you lose some. But that phantom holding call....I think that took our steam.

I am beginning to waiver on the whole "Mason is a game" manager theme. Even a game manager probably would have checked off that pass at the four. " Sorry coach. I saw something I just did not like." Maybe it is time to take a closer look at the management abilities of Bauta or Ramsey. This weekend may provide some clues to that.

With some real heart to heart and some Erskine type rehabilation, I think we still have an outside shot at the mininum of a divisional, and maybe even a play-off slot.

Of course you'll hear the Richt stuff on the radio. Most of the folks who call into those shows are as reactionary as the show wants them to be. They don't wanna portray any "it's gonna be alright" perspective, they want drama and heated heads.

Georgia also has one of the flakiest mentalities as a fanbase in general. Folks expect perfection and turn on the team for the dumbest crap even if we are winning. If the QB isn't a superstar he's a scrub. If a RB isn't Herschel-esque he's useless. If we don't score a TD every single time we have the ball our team is garbage. If the defense gives up first downs or God forbid a TD then we're trash and losing every game ever.

Sorry haha I know this isn't what you're getting into, but I felt like putting it out there. I don't think anyone else is going to have this kind of game against us, personally. Maybe Auburn... that should be a great game and I'm planning to be in Athens for that one.

Of course you'll hear the Richt stuff on the radio. Most of the folks who call into those shows are as reactionary as the show wants them to be. They don't wanna portray any "it's gonna be alright" perspective, they want drama and heated heads.

Georgia also has one of the flakiest mentalities as a fanbase in general. Folks expect perfection and turn on the team for the dumbest crap even if we are winning. If the QB isn't a superstar he's a scrub. If a RB isn't Herschel-esque he's useless. If we don't score a TD every single time we have the ball our team is garbage. If the defense gives up first downs or God forbid a TD then we're trash and losing every game ever.

Sorry haha I know this isn't what you're getting into, but I felt like putting it out there. I don't think anyone else is going to have this kind of game against us, personally. Maybe Auburn... that should be a great game and I'm planning to be in Athens for that one.

i'm not flaky....I'm bi-polar.

i could say a lot more, but i won't bash our own fans. there is sooo much more i want to say on this.. hahaha.. you are 100% right.

I plan on being in Athens the day of the Auburn game too, Carter.

I just hope it is not a cold, bitter, wintry day, temperature wise.

Hey Carter, who would you say is your best defensive starter?

What position is he?

just to further the conversation ...

Cool man, perhaps we could meet up or something just to say we've met each other haha

I think it's close between LBs Amarlo Herrera and Ramik Wilson. They aren't the freak athlete that Leonard Floyd is but they are smart, tough players who are always making tackles and communicating. Between the two I say Herrera. Most people will say Floyd because he's the freak pass rusher.

that would be nice Carter.

a couple of minor game points.

I think I heard Lundquist call the two-point conversion a touchdown. did anybody else hear that?

Also, on that conversion, I thought that Mason zipped the ball in there pretty well.

This is in contrast to the noodle arm comments I am hearing, reading.

Lastly, on the subject of his arm. To me, he seems comparable, throwing wise, to A.J. McCarron. No the whole game manager package. But just in terms of throwing.

My point with that is, he need not be an Andrew Luck for the Dogs to win a title.

more comments?

If that play at the 4 yard line works, then we crown Bobo a play calling genius...every in the stadium knew we were going to pound TG. I was yelling at my tv "just pound Gurley!!!!" USC's defense knew we were going to pound Gurley. No one saw that play coming. I kind of understand the logic of trying to catch the defense selling out to stop the run, but I still would give the ball to the best player in America on first down.

If that play at the 4 yard line works, then we crown Bobo a play calling genius...every in the stadium knew we were going to pound TG. I was yelling at my tv "just pound Gurley!!!!" USC's defense knew we were going to pound Gurley. No one saw that play coming. I kind of understand the logic of trying to catch the defense selling out to stop the run, but I still would give the ball to the best player in America on first down.

Actually the DE read it perfectly. I'm speculating that Spurrier told him to look out for it, since we ran that same play (Rome TD) earlier in the exact situation. But everyone expects Gurley to get the ball ALL the time, but that doesn't stop Gurley from doing his thing. Gurley would have willed himself for 4 yards, for the lead. We all know it to be true.

I really hope ESPNU replays that game in the next day or two, because I would like to see it again and study things a little.

Any of you ever play on the d-line? I just wonder how easy or difficult it is to see a quarterback do what Mason did and not hand it off.

Not how easy it is to get to him like they did, but to see him still with the ball and the direction he goes.

I got a feeling somebody on the SC line got a good beat on what was gonna happen.

Or, I must say, the Georgia O-line did a terrible job on that play.

I really hope ESPNU replays that game in the next day or two, because I would like to see it again and study things a little.

Any of you ever play on the d-line? I just wonder how easy or difficult it is to see a quarterback do what Mason did and not hand it off.

Not how easy it is to get to him like they did, but to see him still with the ball and the direction he goes.

I got a feeling somebody on the SC line got a good beat on what was gonna happen.

Or, I must say, the Georgia O-line did a terrible job on that play.

We ran that exact play, in the exact situation and I'm speculating that the DE was instructed to watch out for it.

I posted before I saw your last comment sdogg.

you make a lot of sense.

J

It's my biggest issue with Bobo. Overall he's good, but in key moments in big games, he gets too cute and outsmarts himself. Just go with the best player in NCAAF and let him have his Heisman moment to potentially win the game.

it was a good play call (bradley wrote a good piece showing that on the ajc, but i will never post a link to them again), just bad execution. houston missed his block which was what screwed up the play. everyone in the stadium including usce thought gurley was going to get the ball and when he didn't they then reacted. i have seen that same play called a number of times in that same spot and it's very effective. if it was called properly by the referee and not intentional grounding then we would have ran gurley two more times for the score. my bigger issue was what we did on 2nd down. after that loss of down and the missed yards we should have tried a short route to set up a shot with gurley on 3rd down, but we didn't.

Man, will we still be talking about this play in December, with Georgia being a team in the debate for that 4th playoff spot? ? ? ?

That’s why I want to see it again Sac. Was it grounding, or a legitimate throw-away pass attempt?

And now I don’t even remember what happened on the 2nd and 3rd downs.

I have flipped channels and saw them replaying Bama/SMU, and somebody/somebody else. Like I said, I hope to see this again before the next batch of new games start up.