Hutson Mason

Faithful Falcon

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I want to see ramsey get some game reps when the game is on the line. But this team has a lot of issues besides mason. The defense sucks Bobos play calling has been way too vanilla. Gurley on kick return is a stupid idea.

What would you like to see Bobo do to be less "vanilla"? He has a quarterback with obvious limitations. I know that giving the ball to the best group of RBs in the country isn't all that creative, but it's certainly effective. And call me crazy, but I'm a believer in giving your best player as many touches as possible. That includes kick returns.

In the end, you have to play to your strengths.

Edited by Gritzblitz 2.0

That deep ball INT was it for more me. You just can't put that much air under a long ball with one on one coverage. I KNOW Ramsey or Bauta can make that throw. The first INT I could almost excuse until you rewind the tape and watch the 5th year senior stare down Bennett when he had a better option underneath. He knows he doesn't have the arm talent to fit balls in tight windows, he did it once this season.

I at least want to hear of another QB getting 1st team reps in practice this week. That second half of football yesterday will not beat some of the teams coming up on the schedule.

A bigger question....why have we stopped attracting top tier QB's the last few years? I know having Murray here kept some away....but we should have racked up this year. UGA traditionally have good RB's, at least one really good receiver and a good QB. I'm only talking offense right now. We have very good RB's this year (Thank God) receivers might be good once they all get healthy. QB....not impressed. If we had a QB like Worley....we'd definitely be in the discussions for National Championship.

A bigger question....why have we stopped attracting top tier QB's the last few years? I know having Murray here kept some away....but we should have racked up this year. UGA traditionally have good RB's, at least one really good receiver and a good QB. I'm only talking offense right now. We have very good RB's this year (Thank God) receivers might be good once they all get healthy. QB....not impressed. If we had a QB like Worley....we'd definitely be in the discussions for National Championship.

We signed two 4 star QBs in the last two years lol

Christian Lemay (#1 QB), Ramsey (#3 QB), and Park (#7 QB) were all four star recruits, so that isn't really bad QB recruiting. Plus we have a 2016 QB committed that is one of the top two QBs in his class. I'd say we aren't doing too shabby.

Edited by KGDawg710

No excuse not to start him. Bottom line is Richt feels obligated, since Mason didn't transfer. That loyalty will be our undoing.

That is exactly what it is. Mason is the problem, but the real problem is Richt and Bobo for playing him.

Mason looks even worse than J Cox actually. Cox can and would atleast throw the ball further than 20 yards and actually have some kind of zip on it, unlike Mason.

Richt is too loyal to the qbs it seems. The only reason why Mason is starting is b/c he waited his turn, just like Joe T 3, and J Cox. Sure our back up qbs aren't going to be the 1st pick in the NFL draft, but neither was Murray. Mason was a 2* in high school, and well he is playing exactly like one in college. He is locked in on 1 or 2 guys, and after the 1st read if it isn't open, he just runs. There have been many many times, when any other good qb would just take a step or two up in the pocket, but Mason is too scared so he runs.

Also you can see how Bobo doesn't turst his arm, since most of his play calling is just for short 5 yard passes or wr screens. Vs Tenn, there were many times when Mason faked the hand off to the rb, then threw it to the wr for a screen. Hardly any of these plays worked. Conley, I think, was the only wr screen that got a big chunk of yards. Also, vs usc, Mason was 2-9 on 3rd down conversions, where he didn't hand it off to the rbs. I want to say the rbs were 3 of 4 on 3rd down conversions, w/ Gurley getting one on like 3rd and 17. Also vs Tenn, Mason was 0-whatever on 3rd down conversions where he didnt hand off the ball. For a game manager, that is pathetic. Then throw in the 2 ints, which was absolute garbage.

I dont see how getting MM and JSW is gonna help out, unless they can turn them wr screens into big gains, b/c Mason won't be able to hit them for the long ball, which is what our offense is desperately missing. Gurley, is the only reason why we are 3-1, with out him, our only will will be vs Troy.

And if Ramsey/Baton/Park aren't better than Mason, then we are ****** again for the next few years. So there is that. If Mason starts for teh rest of the season, then next year we will be breaking in a new qb again, which won't bode well for a NC.

And for people expecting our D to be worth a **** this year, is ******** of them. Our DB sucked real bad last year, then throw in the fact that we kicked off 3 of the starters. So how can you guys realistically expect our D to hold our opponents under 30? You can't, so therefor the offense will have to win us games (for the most part).

Another thing, I think it's ******** not to start the more talented qb b/c they don't know the playbook 100%. Did that stop Jonny football? Did that stop J Winston? Seriously, Winston is a freaking idiot and it hasn't hurt him. Also it was said that D Andrews (center) was making a lot of the protection calls and stuff. So Mason isnt' make them like many are believed. Also, many other teams have the coaches make the calls on the sideline as well, so I dont see how Ramsey/Baton/Park couldn't come in and do exactly like Mason. That is hand it off, or throw it for 5 yards. At least them guys can throw it down field.

Mason makes bad reads, he is not accurate, he does not throw receivers open, he has a dead arm, and opposing defenses don’t entertain the thought of us throwing the ball more than 10 yards down the field. Tennessee could've easily had two or three more interceptions yesterday.

I guess we'll have to wait until after the season for the coaches to admit Mason has an arm/shoulder injury. Obviously he wasn't the most physically talented guy to begin with, but there's a clear difference between his passing velocity last season and this season.

Mason had to rest a "fatigued throwing arm" back in August.

Back in August of 2009 they also had to sit Joe Cox with a "tired arm." Then after the season the coaches admitted he had been playing with some sorta shoulder tear.

hmopphashthrow.gif

Mason can't make this throw this season.

Georgia's passing issues

I can't help but to think Mason has something going on with his arm. Folks keep saying wait from Mitchell or wait for JSW, but having someone to throw deep to is clearly not the issue. Mason can't throw a decent deep ball right now. Against Troy, we went run early. I can't say it was on purpose because it is becoming clear that our passing offense is predicated on swing passes to the flats and quick cross routes.

And that is solely by design. I believe because that is what we are capable of throwing without significant issues. The problem with that is teams will continue to put 6-8 in the box because they'll trade off the chance of a long pass play on a missed tackle or assignment than have Georgia run all over them.

At some point, that will be a loss because we can't get that extra yard see the South Carolina game.

The tough part: there is no real answer. Clearly the coaches think Hutson Mason is our best option at QB. So he is our QB. I believe we'll continue to have these gut wrenching games because other teams can slow our running game down enough, and they can pass against us.

More maddening? It is looking more and more likely that Mason and his receivers aren't on the same page:

"It's a lot more fun to learn from your mistakes after a win. ... It's just a little frustrating when you rep stuff all week, and you don't execute it right."

Even Conley is taking some of the blame...

“I was wrong on my route, and I caused that interception,” Conley said. “I was supposed to be able to adjust by the way I ran it off the line. I messed it up at the line, and it gave the corner position. It’s one where I’m supposed to beat my guy at the line, and I’m supposed to establish a cushion at the sideline. What I did at the line didn’t establish that cushion.”

It's hard to say if that is Conley trying to take some of the blame off his QB or if he believes that, but it still doesn't paint a good picture when an 'average one on one' route gets executed in a way where the only person with an opportunity to catch the ball was the defender.

TD

Edited by Proudwing

That is exactly what it is. Mason is the problem, but the real problem is Richt and Bobo for playing him.

Mason looks even worse than J Cox actually. Cox can and would atleast throw the ball further than 20 yards and actually have some kind of zip on it, unlike Mason.

Richt is too loyal to the qbs it seems. The only reason why Mason is starting is b/c he waited his turn, just like Joe T 3, and J Cox. Sure our back up qbs aren't going to be the 1st pick in the NFL draft, but neither was Murray. Mason was a 2* in high school, and well he is playing exactly like one in college. He is locked in on 1 or 2 guys, and after the 1st read if it isn't open, he just runs. There have been many many times, when any other good qb would just take a step or two up in the pocket, but Mason is too scared so he runs.

Also you can see how Bobo doesn't turst his arm, since most of his play calling is just for short 5 yard passes or wr screens. Vs Tenn, there were many times when Mason faked the hand off to the rb, then threw it to the wr for a screen. Hardly any of these plays worked. Conley, I think, was the only wr screen that got a big chunk of yards. Also, vs usc, Mason was 2-9 on 3rd down conversions, where he didn't hand it off to the rbs. I want to say the rbs were 3 of 4 on 3rd down conversions, w/ Gurley getting one on like 3rd and 17. Also vs Tenn, Mason was 0-whatever on 3rd down conversions where he didnt hand off the ball. For a game manager, that is pathetic. Then throw in the 2 ints, which was absolute garbage.

I dont see how getting MM and JSW is gonna help out, unless they can turn them wr screens into big gains, b/c Mason won't be able to hit them for the long ball, which is what our offense is desperately missing. Gurley, is the only reason why we are 3-1, with out him, our only will will be vs Troy.

And if Ramsey/Baton/Park aren't better than Mason, then we are ****** again for the next few years. So there is that. If Mason starts for teh rest of the season, then next year we will be breaking in a new qb again, which won't bode well for a NC.

And for people expecting our D to be worth a **** this year, is ******** of them. Our DB sucked real bad last year, then throw in the fact that we kicked off 3 of the starters. So how can you guys realistically expect our D to hold our opponents under 30? You can't, so therefor the offense will have to win us games (for the most part).

Just because they sucked last year doesn't give them a free pass this year. We are supposed to blame Mason for them being terrible? I'm not saying he doesn't deserve his share of the blame performance-wise, but that's crazy. A lot of the DBs have just as much if not more game experience than Mason. Mauger started seven games last year, Corey Moore is in his fourth year playing, Bowman is in his third year playing, and Swann is a senior that has started for three years. Excluding Troy, our defense is giving up almost 29 points per game. If we even had decent DB play (not great) and our defense gave up an average of 24 points per game or so, I bet most people wouldn't be nearly as worried. When Alabama had great defenses and "game manager" QBs who never put up video game numbers, nobody seemed to harp on the QB. Like I said before, Mason deserves some of the blame, but there is enough to spread around to others that should be held responsible.

Edited by KGDawg710

Julio Jones wasn't limited to screen plays either. Bama has always had the threat of going vertical when they need to, to compliment their ground game. They have not been one dimensional despite "game manager" QBs.

Mason has to be nursing some kind of injury because it doesn't make sense how meh he has been when he looked decent individually last season.

Our secondary is on the coaching staff that brought them in... and the 5 players themselves (Nick Marshall, Chris Sanders, Josh Harvey-Clemons, Tray Matthews, Shaq Wiggins) who would be here playing if they hadn't acted like idiots. The coaches aren't here either. So it's a crappy situation we just have to deal with.

Julio Jones wasn't limited to screen plays either. Bama has always had the threat of going vertical when they need to, to compliment their ground game. They have not been one dimensional despite "game manager" QBs.

Mason has to be nursing some kind of injury because it doesn't make sense how meh he has been when he looked decent individually last season.

Our secondary is on the coaching staff that brought them in... and the 5 players themselves (Nick Marshall, Chris Sanders, Josh Harvey-Clemons, Tray Matthews, Shaq Wiggins) who would be here playing if they hadn't acted like idiots. The coaches aren't here either. So it's a crappy situation we just have to deal with.

That's a good point about Julio. I guess we will get a definitive answer this week if we are able to get JSW and Malcolm Mitchell back. If Mason can't hit them with some deep throws, then we won't ever have a threat of a deep ball. I just feel it's slightly unfair to make an absolute statement when he is throwing to mainly possession receivers/walk-ons/freshmen as of yet. I agree about the injury. He looked pretty decent after he shook his jitters off against Tech last year, so maybe there is something that won't heal.

Edited by KGDawg710

Well said