Desmond Trufant: ‘Chip On Our Shoulder, A Lot To Prove’

http://ferrall.radio.cbssports.com/2014/09/11/desmond-trufant-chip-on-our-shoulder-a-lot-to-prove/?utm_content=buffercf6ad&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Desmond Trufant: ‘Chip On Our Shoulder, A Lot To Prove’

After going 4-12 last year, the Atlanta Falcons entered the 2014 season as, by and large, a forgotten franchise. Very few people picked them to win the NFC South, and very people were talking about them, period.

Well, now they are.

The Falcons engineered one of the most surprising wins in Week 1, coming back to beat the New Orleans Saints, 37-34, in overtime.

“Man, that game was crazy,” Falcons cornerback Desmond Trufant said on Ferrall on the Bench. “The fans brought so much energy. We were out there playing with energy. The Saints, they’re a great team, so it’s always a good game (with) them. But just being out there with all that energy and all that emotion, it was great.”

Trufant, a first-round pick in 2013, finished with two tackles and one pass defended. He relishes the opportunity to go up against elite quarterbacks like Drew Brees, but it’s certainly not easy.

“These guys are legendary players,” said Trufant, who has also played against Tom Brady. “They’re going to be Hall of Famers when they hang it up. But it’s great. It gets me better going against guys like Drew Brees. It means you have to stay disciplined. You have to have great eyes when you’re going against a quarterback like him because he’ll fool you. He’s definitely going to challenge you. Even if you’re in good position, he’s still going to throw it up there with confidence. It’s definitely great going against guys like him.”

Brees went 29-of-42 for 333 yards, one touchdown and one interception against Atlanta. That’s not a bad stat line by any means, but Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan definitely got the better of the matchup, throwing for a franchise-record 448 yards and three touchdowns.

“It was very impressive,” Trufant said of Ryan’s performance. “You can just tell as a team in general (that) we have a chip on our shoulder. We’ve got something to prove. Matt, he did his thing, and he fueled everybody.”

The Falcons trailed 20-10 at halftime, 27-24 in the fourth quarter and 34-31 with 1:20 to go in regulation. Ryan, however, guided the Falcons on an eight-play drive that ended with a 51-yard field goal from Matt Bryant as time expired. Bryant then hit a 52-yarder in overtime to win the game.

It was a huge win for a franchise that started 1-4 and 2-9 a season ago, when the Falcons lost seven games by a touchdown or less.

“Last year was just one of those years,” Trufant said. “We had a lot of injuries. A lot of things just didn’t go our way. We lost a lot of close games. But we definitely moved on, and we got a chip on our shoulder. We got a lot to prove. People are doubting us (and) don’t think we can bounce back. But we know what type of team we are and what type of talent we got. So (we’re just going out there) every Sunday to make a statement.”

The Falcons hope to make another one this Sunday when they take on the Bengals (1-0) in Cincinnati. Kickoff is slated for 1 p.m. ET.

Its audio at the link if you want to hear the interview

i love tru....but he was kinda a no brainer....i think finding Alford could have been TD's best pick that year...the iplay when he peeled off his guy and swatted the ball down was pure instinct.

No brainer if he was on the board where we picked, but trading up to get him was a gamble. I still don't like trading up when it costs us a pick in rounds 1-3 but at least Trufant is making good on our investment

He's probably my next Falcons jersey. SO glad I didn't get that Weatherspoon jersey last year ph34r.png

I was also considering Worrilow but the only ones I found still have his old #49, oddly enough. Was really considering a Quizz one too but I don't think he'll be around much longer, which is a shame, but I think once Freeman gets better blocking in pass protection he's the odd man out. My Roddy jersey looked kinda rough even when I got it out of the box (thanks NFL.com!), so after 6 years, it's looking a bit haggard.

If we can nail down that FS position, this secondary will be macaroni.

I think our corners are gonna be a strength in our defense, young & hungry,can only get better, they must really believe in Mass,Goodman, Maponga, etc, because they went with interior line instead of a pure pass rusher,maybe they will give them guys this last year,then address pass rush next year,the linebackers are also young & maybe just need to grow, free safety is still a question, but I hear good things about Southward,just not ready yet, bottom line is that the defense is very young, but there are some playmakers there,deal with the pass rush, whether it's draft,FA, or the current guys stepping up, find out about your free safety,& get a healthy Weatherspoon back, we could have the makings of a very good defense. I'm glad they have a chip use it

Trufant has greatness written all over him. He is as good as it gets. Alford is very good, but does miss a few plays here and there. Another year and this is a scary great tandem.

I'm starting to see the Tru/Alf combo being kinda like the Revis/Cromartie tandem in NY years ago. One is a superstar and the other one would still be the #1 on most teams.

IMO they proved a lot last Sunday. That must continue, but not a single soul on this board that watched the game vs BREES and PAYTON & CO can say they didn't prove something. Not a single deep pass completed. Before the moron stat geek comes in and says "yuh huh 57 yd pas..blah blah blah" you know as well as I do that wasn't a deep pass. YAC don't count against that.

No brainer if he was on the board where we picked, but trading up to get him was a gamble. I still don't like trading up when it costs us a pick in rounds 1-3 but at least Trufant is making good on our investment

Vikings were high on him if we waited out we would have lost him than you'd be saying "we didn't td trade up to get him"

Edited by Califalcon0013

And he still managed to get Alford, Toilolo, Goodman and Maponga. Not bad considering no 3rd rounder.