Matthews To Test His Ankle On Field Today

turnerdburner

me in Atlanta.

By D. Orlando Ledbetter

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

FLOWERY BRANCH —

Falcons coach Mike Smith said that rookie left tackle Jake Matthews, the sixth overall pick in the draft, will test his left ankle on the field during his weekly spot on 92.9 The Game on Friday.

He was asked about the severity of the injury and if Matthews was going to play on Sunday.

“We are going to have clarity on that by the end of the day,” Smith said. “Jake has been working with our guys in the training room. He’s going to come out and do a little work on the field.”

Smith who played wide receiver Roddy White with a high ankle sprain last season against New Orleans in the season opener and may have rushed Michael Turner back from a high ankle sprain back in 2009, doesn’t seem to be in a hurry to rush Matthews back.

“It’s a long season guys,” Smith said. “But we’ll have lots more clarity when he gets out of the field today.”

Matthews started the opener against the Saints and suffered an ankle injury in the second quarter. He was replaced in the lineup by Gabe Carimi, who had a rough outing

It's a tough spot. Jake is a rookie and will make some mistakes, so he has to be physically capable of recovering from those mistakes. If he's only 80%, then he probably wouldn't be a better option than Carini (I really don't want to see Schrader though...). Tice gets paid big money to make this evaluation and so far we have no reason not to put our trust in Tice's judgment. We just have to hope for the best.

LET..........HIM..............REST !!!

Patience, please.

This amazing rookie lineman will be there for us for YEARS, hopefully, anchoring our O-line.

Please, lets not screw up his future by allowing him to play too soon.

He's too important to the Falcon's future.

LET HIM HEAL properly.

Agree, but, if it is just a question of pain tolerance, want him out there ASAP.

When? If it's a high ankle sprain, be crazy to let him even try this soon.

IF, and its IF, the early report was true and the MRI showed no damage, then I'm fine with him trying the ankle out and playing if he can.

Not all players that suffer HAS are out for extended time, it depends on the seriousness of the sprain and his ability to work through it. Look at AD, dude came back better than before in an insanely short time after an ACL. Who knows, Jake might be our superman who heals by exposing his flesh to sunlight...give it a go and if he looks good play him. That simple.

Tice has been making pretty smart lineup decisions so far. Much smarter than Hill last year. I am certainly interested to see what he will do the next 2-3 games with the lineup. I think when everybody's healthy and the dust settles it will likely be Matthews, Blalock, Hawley, Asamoah, and Carimi starting.

Under what circumstances would Carimi who had a tough time holding on last week start over Holmes who's been a rock star since the end of Off season activities? Don't get me wrong, I hope Carimi goes beast mode and plays like a champ as a backup and erases his name from the bust list but I wouldn't count on it this soon. Holmes is solid so far, play him until he proves he's just fluking through games.

I think Mike Smith is probably even lying about him testing it today.

And for those of you who say "if he has a high ankle sprain, it's crazy for him to be trying to play on it".....yes, you are right.

But.....that is exactly what the Falcons did with Roddy White last year, with disastrous consequences.

Hopefully we have learned from that.

I doubt Matthews does anything more strenuous that riding a stationary bike today.

The "initial diagnose" was high ankle sprain - pretty sure that was during the locker room at half time so just the doctor's assumption looking at it without the use of technology

Then after reports came out the x-rays were negative and the MRI showed "no significant damage", meaning no structural damage so no high ankle sprain

I expect him to be back for the Vikings but would not be surprised to see him out there against the Bucs

I think Mike Smith is probably even lying about him testing it today.

And for those of you who say "if he has a high ankle sprain, it's crazy for him to be trying to play on it".....yes, you are right.

But.....that is exactly what the Falcons did with Roddy White last year, with disastrous consequences.

Hopefully we have learned from that.

I doubt Matthews does anything more strenuous that riding a stationary bike today.

You know, your constant conspiracy theory mongering is rather ... Weird,