Roddy - Our Goal Is 30 Pts. Per Game

freebird310

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- The Atlanta Falcons had their full offensive momentum going in the season opener, scoring 37 points against a New Orleans Saints team that ranked fourth in scoring defense a year ago while allowing just 19 points per game.

Offense obviously will be a key for the Falcons this season, particularly if NFC Offensive Player of the Week Matt Ryan can maintain an elite level of play throughout and if his top receivers remain healthy.

WhiteBut can the Falcons average 30 points per game?

"That's our goal," receiver Roddy White said. "From the start of the offseason through training camp, we always told ourselves we have to score 30 a game. That's what we want to do. It's hard to score 30 in the NFL, I'm trying to tell you. I mean, we've got the personnel to do it.

"We've got to go out there and execute. We can't get off to slow starts. And we can't come out the second half being slow. You've got to go through quarters and be consistent in putting up points. If we can do that on a week-to-week basis, we've got a chance."

Since 2004, 12 teams have averaged 30 or more points per game, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Those teams had a combined record of 155-37. And only one of those teams, the '04 Kansas City Chiefs, failed to make the playoffs at 7-9.

The Falcons' highest average so far with Ryan at quarterback was 26.2 points in 2012, the year they finished 13-3 and lost to the San Francisco 49ers in the NFC Championship Game.

Running back Steven Jackson was asked if the offense can score 30 points per game.

"I don't know, man. We're going against NFL defenses," he said. "That's not an easy feat. You just have to take it one game at a time. You go against a [team] that's really strong on defense, they primarily built their team to be defensive-minded. It will be hard to put up 30 points against a team like that."

Sunday's opponent, Cincinnati, might be one of those teams. The Bengals allowed just 19.1 points per game last season, which ranked tied for fifth in the NFL. In this year's season opener, they allowed just 16 points against Baltimore, and the Ravens scored 26 in Thursday's night win over the Pittsburgh Steelers.

If the Falcons achieve White's stated goal, it's hard to imagine many teams scoring with them this season outside of New Orleans and Green Bay, although the Packers have offensive line issues.

http://espn.go.com/b...points-per-game

Vaughn McClure

They put up 30 on the bengals, going to be a lot of DCs losing a lot of sleep the week of Falcon's games.

Going to be really interesting to see what happens in CIN this week. If the D looks better and the O looks the same, gonna be a fun year to be a Falcons fan.

Don't think that the bengals offense is nearly the caliber of the Saints, no offense meant to any bengal fans reading this. Think saying that Brees is better than Dalton shouldn't be an insult, and while Green is better than any individual piece the Saints have, Saints 3rd , 4th and 5th receiving options are superior to anything the bengals have.

If Atkins and Brufict aren't in, that D takes a real hit.

I don't see us avg 30, because we will go conservative ball control when we are up big in 2nd halfs. If we avg 30 it means our defense is forcing us into shootouts.

I can see them scoring 30 before the go into ball control mode. Can also see Smith letting Koetter have his way, which means a much more aggressive approach on offense.

Steven Jackson's attitude sucks.

Also doesn't sound like they have a lot of faith in the D..

Saying it's hard to score 30 points a game isn't a bad attitude, just acknowledging the reality of the NFL. Also might be trying to not give the Bengals bulletin board material.

And, I think the offense isn't thinking about the D at all- that 30 points a game is what they want to do, not what the team needs them to do.

30 is tough, but I do believe with no injuries and the OL holding its own we can do it. We can become the highest scoring offense of all time.

I'm all for being optimistic, but that means as a team we're gonna need to score about 60 - 65 TDs to beat the 2013 Broncos.

30 is tough, but I do believe with no injuries and the OL holding its own we can do it. We can become the highest scoring offense of all time.

We'd have to beat the 1950 Rams at an astounding 38.83 points per game.

I'll just go out on a limb and say that is not happening.

Edit: old chart info. Lame.