Debunking The Myths That We Were 'burned' Both Times We Rushed More Than 4 And "you Don't Blitz Zeus Brees"

Boogie Man

Quarter

1st  4:50; 3rd and 10 from the Atlanta 32...Incomplete

Brees throws short and Alford tips it away

2nd 1:23; 1st and 10 from the Atlanta 29...Incomplete

Brees is forced to throw early and makes an uncatchable low throw to Cooks, McClain gets called for holding

3rd 8:07; 1st and 10 from the NO 41...Incomplete

3rd 5:01; 2nd and 3 from the NO 21...57 yard pass to Colston

Announcer yells "Falcons finally bring the blitz and get burned"

I'm thinking whoever heard that started this mb urban legend 

4th 14:22; 3rd and 3 from the NO 27...11 yard pass the Graham

We rushed more than 4 a total of only 5 times.

3 incompletions and 2 completions, only 1 BIG play that btw, resulted in 0 points thanks to McClain's pick.

You're gonna give up a couple big plays if you're blitzing enough, again so what? Why does the idea of a couple big plays make some DCs and fans so scurred...smh 

Brees isn't Aaron Rodgers ;)

Blitzing Drew Brees worked in 2011. This goes against conventional wisdom, but it's also undeniably true. According to the Football Outsiders' Almanac, Brees produced an NFL-high 8.3 yards-per-pass play when opponents rushed three or four defenders last year. The average dropped to 7.2 yards (still good) against five defenders, and down to 6.8 yards against a big blitz of six defenders or more.

This is not what we expected. It is not what opposing defensive coordinators expected either, or they would have blitzed more. No quarterback saw fewer "big blitzes" in the NFL than Brees. This is not a new trend either; Brees has been better against four rushers than a blitz for three years running.

(Aaron Rodgers, on the other hand, was more effective last year the more pass rushers you sent at him.)

I would imagine that this has a lot to do with how short he is. More passrushers result in less space for him to slide around to get a good look downfield. So even if the blitz is picked up, it still crowds his vision and tightens the pocket up. Conversely, there probably isn't a better QB in the NFL when it comes to picking apart a zone, so it also makes sense that his best success would come against 3 and 4 man rushes.

I would imagine that this has a lot to do with how short he is. More passrushers result in less space for him to slide around to get a good look downfield. So even if the blitz is picked up, it still crowds his vision and tightens the pocket up. Conversely, there probably isn't a better QB in the NFL when it comes to picking apart a zone, so it also makes sense that his best success would come against 3 and 4 man rushes.

No.

Brees is notoriously good against the blitz. This is why teams only bring more than 4 about 5 times a game...

But he DID slide around and found Cooks or some other WR downfield.

I appreciate you taking time to name the specific plays.

Nolan did not want to blitz Brees a lot as his strategy. Was that the correct choice? We did give up a lot of points and yards. But we did not give up a lot of explosive plays or scores in that game, and eventually got a pick and a fumble and won a shoot out.

Not blitzing much as a gameplan gave us a LB to help cover Graham, who had a quiet game. Instead, Brees made a lot of throws to an unproven (but unfortunately appears to be legit) rookie - Cooks. Taking a chance he could beat us with a rookie WR is better than when we know he can beat us with a pro bowl tight end.

Nolan tried to pick a few moments, and some worked, some didn't. Will be interesting to see if we blitz more against "lesser" QBs.

i would think where you blitz from would come into play as well..., when Moore blitzed, a line backer was supposed to back peddle into the vacated area....both were late. i think that was a very poor attempt at a blitz. leave Moore in his hole and blitz from the line backer area, that wouldn't leave the deep middle open.

Edited by newgafatboy

Last year, we were the most blitz happy team in the league. I'd rather have that slow down a little bit.

Part of effective blitzing is the timing of blitzing. Its not just a matter of sending guys, its a matter of who you send and when you send them.

I thought we did a good job late in the preseason with sending pressure from the secondary and through the A gaps. I'd like to see that continue, ESPECIALLY this week against Dalton.

Last year, we were the most blitz happy team in the league. I'd rather have that slow down a little bit.

Part of effective blitzing is the timing of blitzing. Its not just a matter of sending guys, its a matter of who you send and when you send them.

I thought we did a good job late in the preseason with sending pressure from the secondary and through the A gaps. I'd like to see that continue, ESPECIALLY this week against Dalton.

Amen, with a rookie center and QB whose QB rating drops 60 points when pressured, got to get to him.

Even better if Soliai just pushes the center back into Dalton every pass play and Shembo, Osi, Hageman and/or Mass comes through the opening behind Soliai and sacks Dalton.

Think part of the reason you didn't see any more blitzes is that the D just isn't together yet. Not that you Blitz Brees every play, but maybe 10-12 times rather than 5.

If you compare the D's line up from 1st game 2013 to 1st game 2014, you see a scheme change and 8 different starters. Think might see a more aggressive approach once all the parts are moving in sync.

This is exactly what I saw in the game. Might as well hold up a sign in the middle that says "free receptions". 119.5 QB rating throwing to the middle.

That looked intentional. It looked more like "we aren't letting them have the edges we aren't going to let them beat us with home runs, they'll have to do with inside the park hits."