Saints (Forgotten?) Play Of The Game. Sorry For A Late Week Look Back . . . .

HolyMoses

There was a Play of the Game Thread earlier in the week, but I am watching the game again now and I think I found one that no one mentioned:

It's 13-0, 11 minutes left in the second quarter, and the Falcons are deep in their territory, about to go three and out on third and 8. Earlier, Hester and dropped a pass that could have been a good gain going across the middle and had not done a thing (that I recall.) The air was leaking right out of the Dome. The Saints had scored on every possession (and in fact, would score another TD on their subsequent one.)

But Ryan stepped up with good protection and hit Hester for 35 yards on a play that seemed to completely change the momentum. Ryan showed confidence in going back to the new guy who had not caught a single pass all of last season for the Bears. It also seemed to spark Jackson, who had his biggest gain on the next play or shortly thereafter.

Instead of going three and out, and leading to what would have been a 20-0 Saint lead, the pass to Hester was the first positive play in a six minute drive that, coupled with the previous drive that had been long but ended with Jones' fumble, probably had a lot to do with the Saint's defense being completely gassed and ineffective in the third and fourth quarters (watch the complete lack of effort on Roger's TD run in the 2nd half.)

I thought Freeman's third down conversion later on the drive was the key . . . but without that, at least there is a long drive and points from a field goal. I'm not sure the Falcons could have recovered from a three in out given the circumstances of the game at the time. So I think the Hester catch was the single play where you say "if that doesn't happen, the Falcons are not in the game."

Oh . . . and MattyIce2 had a couple of important kicks.

. . . And McClain's interception was pretty important.

. . . And Moore's strip in overtime . . . .

I honestly think the FG before halftime and the drive under 20 secs to put them in range were the most important plays of the game. Completely gave us momentum for the second half.

I agree, the Saints took a 20-7 lead after driving down the field once again it was only 20 seconds left before halftime, & it seemed like all the excitement leading up to the game was gone. The kickoff sailed into the end zone,so we are starting from to 20 yard line, he hits a pass, then the big play to White, which both he & Jake got hurt on, Bryant hits the FG to go into halftime 20-10.it seem to energize them to take the first drive of the 3rd quarter & make it a 3 point game. By the way I was glad to see our 3rd quarter jinx end. We actually outscored the Saints 14-0 in the 3rd quarter,glad to see that

also freemans big catch and gain of the first down was HUGE for momentum, the pick too obvs

I hope that run after the catch defines the Falcons season. He REFUSED to give up until he got the crucial first down. We need that approach & determination on both sides of the ball. I want to see the "knock them down, step on their throats and don't let them back up" mentality!

I've said it already a few times this week, but how many times in the past right before half would we have just taken a knee and gone in. There have been so many times I've watched that happened and wondered why in the world they didn't at least try SOMETHING.........

maybe this shows a new mindset by the staff.

I think that pass to Hester was more important then Freemen's run just because it came first. Before Hester's 3rd down conversion I have no doubt that same ole "here we go again" feeling begin to creep in the back of everyone's mind. The Saints were rolling and the D was looking gassed already. We couldn't afford that 3 and out at that point. Without that I don't even think we have a chance for Freemen's effort to even matter, as crucial as it was at the point