Jake Matthews Not At Practice

Dirtybird56

“@vxmcclure23: No Jake Matthews (ankle) at practice. Roddy (knee) on the field fully suited up for action”

He most likely would have been limited if he were going to play Sunday. Sucks but it is what it is, just hope we can win against the Bucs since it's a divisional game at home. That gives Matthews enough time to heal up hopefully and play against the Vikings on the 28th

He's our first round pick, and future cornerstone of the team.

I'd much rather play the long game with Matthews as opposed to rushing him back a la Roddy last season. If sitting out this game is what it takes I feel, long term, the positives outweigh the negatives.

Yeah this. Sit the kid. It's too early and he's too valuable.

I don't recall Smith ever lying about injuries, there was one time where he downplayed it and made it sound week to week and then we ended up putting the guy on IR.. Can't remember who. Was the 2011 season IIRC

The rest of the times were fans mistaking "we'll see how he feels" for "he'll be back soon". Anyway from all reports I'm gonna go ahead and say we see Jake against the Vikings after just 2 games

Guest facelessman07

Let's do a little true false history session here.

Last season Roddy White tried to play on a high ankle sprain and failed miserably while Mike Smith denied that Roddy White's injury was ever a high ankle sprain in the first place.

True or False

True!

I don't recall Smith ever lying about injuries, there was one time where he downplayed it and made it sound week to week and then we ended up putting the guy on IR.. Can't remember who. Was the 2011 season IIRC

The rest of the times were fans mistaking "we'll see how he feels" for "he'll be back soon". Anyway from all reports I'm gonna go ahead and say we see Jake against the Vikings after just 2 games

The only time MS said the truth was John Abraham playing with ankle sprain in playoffs. He was pretty elusive about most Sean Weatherspoon's and William Moore's injuries in the past though they were out multiple weeks. He is probably better than Bill B who gives injury reports like " We found Grantkowski has a knee" .

in our eyes, he's a bold face liar. In reality he downplays the **** out of the situation to keep us wondering what's really going on

I forgot Smitty denied about Roddy's ankle, though he obviously wanted the Saint's to have to prepare for Roddy as it was the season opener so we could use him as a decoy

And while he could do the same for Jake so opponents have to gameplan for him..eh. I wouldn't put it past him as he has routinely avoided talking about player's health to give us an advantage even in the preseason

But the MRI report and x-rays definitely didn't come from Smitty as we know he's he last one to reveal info so really that's the giveaway here IMO. I expect he'll be back for the Vikings but wouldn't be surprised to see him out there against the Bucs