Our Pass Rush Will Get Better As The Season Goes On...

Macintez

It's early in the season... I mean, we are going into the second week of the season. Does anyone honestly feel the defense we started with will be the defense we finish with? Are there some that really feel no one will develop and grow as the season goes on?

Look, to be honest, I don't think an elite playmaker will cone out of nowhere and take over the league. No, we won't finish the season with a top 5 sack total or anything like that but I think the magic of Cox and Nolan will help some of these players develop a lil' more confidence and more if a mean streak. Plus, I believe in giving time to let things develop when it comes to football. Becoming a formidable defense won't happen overnight in this league. If anything it will maje our season a lot more interesting.

Keep an eye on this defense folks... I believe that by week 12 they will start to come on, which is just the right time for bandwagoners to hop on the train while shouting "I always believed this team had playoff potential"

I like a sack as much as the next guy but I'd rather see an FF or an INT.

Here's why I'm not panicking. We have never been able to get a lot of sacks against Brees. He's too shifty in the pocket. The Saints just don't give up a lot of sacks.

Brees will also make you look horrible when you blitz. You just have to send 3 or 4 and try to force him to make bad decisions.

Lets wait another week or two before we judge this pass rush.

That's what the said last year, and the year before that, and the year... Well, I think you get it.

Well, last season was a debacle on all levels so that doesn't count. Before then, we kinda had one with John Abraham and Babs so we weren't looking for one to develop, we were actually waiting for Ryan and the offense to take that "next step"... lately, we've been doing pretty well drafting defensive players, and while an elite defender wont emerge out of this group, I think the unit will grow to complement each other's strengths. We have a two new players on the line. They have to develop a chemistry amongst each other. Once they have each other's back, we will see the best this unit has to offer. By the time we add a couple of pass rushers in the next draft, we'll have top-10 unit potential.

I think what makes this season different is that we actually invested money up front. I have to believe that this is gonna free up some guys. Last week was not a good example cuz the saints offense is so spread out and Brees is really good against the blitz, other teams are not.

Brees has always been tough to sack. He's always had great pass protection. Always had good weapons and Sean Payton offensive brilliance in NO.

Well, last season was a debacle on all levels so that doesn't count. Before then, we kinda had one with John Abraham and Babs so we weren't looking for one to develop, we were actually waiting for Ryan and the offense to take that "next step"... lately, we've been doing pretty well drafting defensive players, and while an elite defender wont emerge out of this group, I think the unit will grow to complement each other's strengths. We have a two new players on the line. They have to develop a chemistry amongst each other. Once they have each other's back, we will see the best this unit has to offer. By the time we add a couple of pass rushers in the next draft, we'll have top-10 unit potential.

That's a great attitude, I like it. We need positive people.

Here's why I'm not panicking. We have never been able to get a lot of sacks against Brees. He's too shifty in the pocket. The Saints just don't give up a lot of sacks.

Brees will also make you look horrible when you blitz. You just have to send 3 or 4 and try to force him to make bad decisions.

I agree. The Taints are a horrible team to judge the pass rush by. Not to mention we got more pressure on Brees than NO did on us. Does that mean NO's pass rush is worse? lol

Falcons pass rush has been awful ever since when Kerney left. Kerney/Abe was a decent passrush combo.....w/ Abraham, we were still one of the worst passrushing teams in the league.

I would love to be confident about our passrush - but we have a great defensive mind in Mike Nolan - and still no passrush - its gotta be personnel - we just don't have it.

Brees was sacked 37 times last year... that's not exactly a small number.

Falcons pass rush has been awful ever since when Kerney left. Kerney/Abe was a decent passrush combo.....w/ Abraham, we were still one of the worst passrushing teams in the league.

I would love to be confident about our passrush - but we have a great defensive mind in Mike Nolan - and still no passrush - its gotta be personnel - we just don't have it.

Our personnel is lacking a pass rusher, but I don't think it means we won't have QBs under duress. I think once this unit gels, we'll be able to do a lil' better getting in the QB face. In other words, I don't think the beginning product will be the finished product.