Falcons Hope To Be Four-Wide Open

OC

http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/8077/falcons-hope-to-be-four-wide-open

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Devin Hester didn't exactly beg for the opportunity, but the Atlanta Falcons receiver admitted he was anxious for offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter's call to 10 personnel.

Such a look with four wide receivers -- Julio Jones, Roddy White, Harry Douglas, and Hester -- and just one running back was extremely effective for the Falcons in their 37-34 overtime win against the New Orleans Saints.

"It's just a great opportunity to get more explosive guys on the field," Hester said Wednesday. "When you do stuff like that, it creates havoc for the defense. Defenses are not really used to offenses that run four wide. And now that we showed it, it's going to take up a lot of attention in their meeting rooms that they have to concentrate on more four wides."

The Falcons used such an alignment on 19 plays. The eight plays run in the setup on third down included a 35-yard connection between Matt Ryan and Hester on third-and-8 on a drive that resulted in White's 2-yard touchdown catch. On the seven pass plays in 10 personnel on first down, the Falcons gained an average of 13.8 yards per play.

Among the four plays using four wides on second down was a 23-yard Ryan to Douglas connection on second-and-7 that set up Jacquizz Rodgers' 17-yard touchdown run. Another was a 17-yard run by Steven Jackson up the middle on second-and-15, proving that spreading out the defense can open things up for the run. Such a concept might be an effective strategy for the Falcons going into Week 2, particularly with their foursome of capable running backs.

Some of the Saints players mentioned after the game how they were taken off guard by the Falcons' 10-personnel look.

"It worked really good," Koetter said. "I have never in my career been much of 10-personnel guy. Obviously, when we had Tony [Gonzalez] here, our philosophy was it's tough to put a fourth wide receiver in and take the best tight end to ever play off the field. The acquiring of Devin Hester and the fact that Devin has done such a good job of assimilating himself into the system, now we do have our explosive wide receivers.

"We started with a very small package. It's going to grow all the time."

Whether it grows this week depends on a variety of factors.The strong possibility of playing without rookie left tackle Jake Matthews (ankle) might mean the Falcons will keep their tight ends in to chip block, throwing off the whole 10-personnel concept. Plus the defensive coverage from the Bengals, of course, might dictate a different offensive attack for Koetter and the Falcons.

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis is fully aware of what the Falcons are capable of accomplishing with their four-wide sets.

"Well, they've been pretty dynamic when they use four wide receivers," Lewis said. "They put two guys inside that can make plays where they put them. Their guys are all guys that have a lot of talent and ability. They're all good run-after-catch players, so you've got to do a great job against them."

Some of the Saints players mentioned after the game how they were taken off guard by the Falcons' 10-personnel look.

Really? How?

We don't have a proven pass-catching tight end on the roster, and we just added a 4th proven wide receiver in the offseason. I've been saying since we signed Hester that we would be running a lot more 4 WR sets.

I guess they are just the Saints. Shouldn't expect too much intelligence.

Really? How?

We don't have a proven pass-catching tight end on the roster, and we just added a 4th proven wide receiver in the offseason. I've been saying since we signed Hester that we would be running a lot more 4 WR sets.

Well technically Hester isn't really a proven WR. His highest is 750 yards and he had 0 catches last year.

I think he will do wonders for us but it's a stretch calling him proven.

This offense will be very hard to stop...4 wides and fresh backs....if everyone stays healthy and the line holds up....we can score enough points to make up some deficiencies of the defense. ..which I think will get better through the season. ..let's face it...everyone doesn't have the saints offense. .I think we are in store for a great season

RISE UP

Well technically Hester isn't really a proven WR. His highest is 750 yards and he had 0 catches last year.

I think he will do wonders for us but it's a stretch calling him proven.

Well, I guess I meant that I'm not surprised one bit that he's playing as big a role in our offense as he is. He's not proven as a #1 option, no.

As far as the 4 WR sets go... Hester and Douglas both showed against the Saints that they can find soft spots in zone coverage. If you go man coverage, then you either leave Julio/Roddy 1-on-1 or you leave Hester or Douglas completely uncovered (if you double Julio).

Other than getting to Matt before he can throw, how do you defend our "10 personnel"?

Really? How?

Sean Payton said that he was surprised to see 10 personnel. I guess may be Aints thought they own the falcons.

Really? How?

The Saints were even aligned in their base 3-4 a few times against the four wide, especially on Hester's big catch in the 3rd. Which I thought was odd considering a linebacker on Hester is a huge mismatch

The thing I'm excited about with the 10 Personal is when teams do adjust to package they still end up with 2 problems.

1. A improved running block Oline and 4 good RBs that will always be fresh and we will gash them if they roll out dime etc...

2. They still have to cover our WRs which is no easy task either