I Was Thinking.. Why Do The Fans Of The Winning Team Always Talk Up The Losing Team, In An Effort To Make The Win More Impressive Than It Was?

Big Bubba

I'm guilty of it with the Bucs.

I noticed it with the Falcons fans also... Those Saint WRs in the 2nd half, seemed to drop everything that came there way.. their defense was one of the worst tacking defenses I have seen in the last 20 years.. they basically looked like a team that still thought it was the preseason.

Yet some Falcon fans hype them up relentlessly, in an effort to make their team look better for beating the Saints.

It's just a weird approach when you actually stop to think about it.. I noticed myself doing it with the Bucs last night, in response to a couple of Lion fans. While I was dismissing their win over the Giants. It's a cycle.. they were talking up the Giants.. saying what an amazing defense the Giants have, how amazing Eli (the 2 time SB champion) is.

Was it like this back in the olden days, or is this just something that started post 1980 or something?

I know the Bucs may suck a$$ again this year but I think it was still impressive that we held McCoy to one sack and beat them with our backup QB on the road. Not many teams could win with their backup on the road regardless of their opponent.

Edited by PantherWake

the question is is why does pox down play every bit of success the falcons have? we didnt do that to the panthers last year........we were lead to believe for 7 months that we were nothing but a 4-12 team. and the minute we get a winning record we are over reacting.......grow the fck up and drop the inferiority complex

the question is is why does pox down play every bit of success the falcons have? we didnt do that to the panthers last year........we were lead to believe for 7 months that we were nothing but a 4-12 team. and the minute we get a winning record we are over reacting.......grow the fck up and drop the inferiority complex

I don't know about all that, but Football has a lot to do with the quality of the team you play. You can't really judge how "bad" a team is or how good a team is after one game, because there is not a lot of sample size to go off of.

Like, for example, everyone gave us such crap for being 4-12 last year and Ryan having a "subpar" year, but after the fact it comes out he played against the 7th hardest schedule any QB has seen in the last 25 years. That makes a difference. Peyton looked great all year last year except the one team who had a defense that could truly stop him, and the broncos looked like crap. A really good opponent can make you look a lot worse than you are, and a bad opponent can make you look a lot better than you are.

You see this disparity in college a lot more than the nfl. In college, like last week, a team like Florida, which has not had a good team the last couple of years, put up 63 on a team from another division. Does that make Florida world beaters? no...it just means the level of competition was really bad and that they haven't played anyone of substance yet.

its too early to tell how the saints and falcons really are this year, but there are indicators. both defenses went up against seemingly really good offenses, and as a result, both defenses look a lot worse than they probably are. When both teams meet again in December, we will have a much better idea about the quality of both teams and their defenses, and that win last week will look even better or even worse than it does now.

More like sportsmanship. many including myself went all in all offseason. we threw everything at each other. Nothing left after the game except to say great game.

It was better football than panthers vs bucs (preseason week 5)

Except a defense.

See? the cycle continues "it was a better game than the Panthers vs Bucs". then I bring up defenses.

Like I was wondering.. was it like this back in the good old days? or did the winning team's fans just continue to trash the losing team, even after the win...

Well everybody has said we are gonna take a huge step back so Panthers fans know where you are coming from.

Edited by PantherWake

I don't know about all that, but Football has a lot to do with the quality of the team you play. You can't really judge how "bad" a team is or how good a team is after one game, because there is not a lot of sample size to go off of.

Like, for example, everyone gave us such crap for being 4-12 last year and Ryan having a "subpar" year, but after the fact it comes out he played against the 7th hardest schedule any QB has seen in the last 25 years. That makes a difference. Peyton looked great all year last year except the one team who had a defense that could truly stop him, and the broncos looked like crap. A really good opponent can make you look a lot worse than you are, and a bad opponent can make you look a lot better than you are.

You see this disparity in college a lot more than the nfl. In college, like last week, a team like Florida, which has not had a good team the last couple of years, put up 63 on a team from another division. Does that make Florida world beaters? no...it just means the level of competition was really bad and that they haven't played anyone of substance yet.

its too early to tell how the saints and falcons really are this year, but there are indicators. both defenses went up against seemingly really good offenses, and as a result, both defenses look a lot worse than they probably are. When both teams meet again in December, we will have a much better idea about the quality of both teams and their defenses, and that win last week will look even better or even worse than it does now.

Brother, I get what you're saying.. I'm not talking about a seasonal outlook for teams.. Just from a game to game approach.

Falcon fans should be proud to be 1-0...and by building up the Saints or not building up the Saints, it will not take away from the Falcons 1-0 record.

Another example... last season in the Super Dome, the Panthers got their arse handed to them pretty good by the Saints, Panthers probably played twice as bad as the Saints did in week 1 of this year..... Saint fans talked so much shat before the game on SR.. after the game.. all of a sudden a lot were claiming the Panthers an amazing team that they beat.. it wasn't in an effort to build up the Panthers, but to instead build up their own team.

I'm not without guilt or fault.. I do the same thing a LOT.. I will build up the team my team just beat, while tearing down the teams other teams beat. :lol: I built up the Falcons twice last season. Do you know the balancing act that was required to build up the Falcons last season after those wins? It was brutal.

Like I said.. I was noticing myself doing it last night...and I noticed basically every other fan of every team that won doing the same thing.. just made me think.. was it always like this? In my lifetime... it has been. Some of the much older gents of RC...would be needed to answer that.. since maybe it was different at one point of their life.

Like I was wondering.. was it like this back in the good old days? or did the winning team's fans just continue to trash the losing team, even after the win...

I cant speek for Rc, but in TATF`s in years past. If the falcons lost we would get invaded with Saints fans coming over to trash us. Im sure SR had some falcon fans going over there as well to talk ish.

I do know there was a few RC regs from back then who have been through a couple names for bad conduct up there.

But for us like the Saints and Falcons. We went through the lowest points in both franchises history only a few years apart. We both gave each other major crap for it. Falcons had Vick go to prison and pigtrino quite. Then it just became no fun to pick on the falcons. It was expected, we where done.

Then 08 Ryan came in and saved some face for us and kept us alive.

Saints had Katrina and BG. You didn't trash Katrina unless you knew the people you where saying it to knew you where joking and taking a real low shot. But knew not to get upset because it was you. But most stayed away from that. It was a sad situation.

Then BG was our version of Vick going to jail on them. So it was fire all cannons. Stomp a mud whole in their butt. Me personally i usually went after those who could dish it, but could take it as well. But that would get me jumped by who dats that didn't know i was going rounds with a person who could take it and was joking about it.

But kicking the loser when they are down over the type of games we have had in recent years is pointless. They are epic games win lose or draw. Its great football from both teams. There is some zingers of course.

I look at RC like hanging out in a bar with friends. Its all cool up to and during the game. But after the game unless someone else starts it, there is no reason to stomp them especially after watching a great game that was on the edge of your seat excitement for 4 Q`s.

yea Bucs are Not The Saints

and when your qb puts up almost 500 yds in his first game and you have weapons like Falcons do, pretty easy to be excited about the Season

That's what I mean, man. Implying a build up for the team you beat vs dismissing the team another team beat. That is the question I would like eventually answered.

But i cant speek for how TATF`s as i only have come to RC for the a few years now. Once i found RC i never went back to TATF`s Afer seeing the same people fight the exact same points every year day in and days out for years i couldn't wait to get away.

Im sure swift is still up there and hates the falcons QB and coach. Im sure swift has his wannabe`s that try and be him and never do it right. Then the other side has the "lovers" Long before they where "homers". Gif posting get bent out of shape fast posts.

But even to that it wasnt as much fighting after the game. Its just the same exact fights thats happened 1 million times. by the same people. Names change but its the same players.

That's what I mean, man. Implying a build up for the team you beat vs dismissing the team another team beat. That is the question I would like eventually answered.

dude it aint rocket science

Saints were picked by Many (not me lol) to be in the Super Bowl

and they have owned us...yes the games were always close, but they always made the play to win.....

and Bucs have a yr 1 coach, questions on the O Line and a Journeyman QB

You Know this

thats why the only Panther threads we are seeing are about signing players....

Teams Like Falcons and Saints are Eye Candy, big time explosive Offense

and its easy to get excited about teams like that...

even with your D

you are concerned about Falcons O

and you should be....

Another example... last season in the Super Dome, the Panthers got their arse handed to them pretty good by the Saints, Panthers probably played twice as bad as the Saints did in week 1 of this year..... Saint fans talked so much shat before the game on SR.. after the game.. all of a sudden a lot were claiming the Panthers an amazing team that they beat.. it wasn't in an effort to build up the Panthers, but to instead build up their own team.

Well, following that beatdown, it was necessary to rebuild the Panthers lest the fanbase forget they were actually a pretty decent team. tongue.png

Taft was REALLY REALLY bad in the Vick years. We had the Vick Supporters, he could no wrong. We had the Vick haters, he could no right. And then we had the Vick moderates, who saw his flaws but hoped he could grow as a QB and be the best the league has ever seen.

Then the bottom fell out, and it was dark, bleak days here, indeed. I fled to ABF, and then almost lost my mind in political debates, with Snake. I got warned a couple of times by Sac, but I eventually stopped going there. I lost all my posts on the board reboot, and just floated for a while, till coming to rest here. It has its ups and downs, but now that the season is going it should hopefully settle down some and real football talk can happen.

Deep down Shred they remember the Falcons game in the Dome last season with half the offense we have now. Lest anyone think that game isn't in the back of their mind seeing the Falcons offense at full strength again with a better OL!

I'm really concerned for you guys when you realize that your offensive line isn't improved. That was all Matt Ryan. He should of been sacked 6 times in the first half alone.

I'm really concerned for you guys when you realize that your offensive line isn't improved. That was all Matt Ryan. He should of been sacked 6 times in the first half alone.

Really? You think the addition of Jake Matthews, Jon Asomoah, and the development of Joe Hawley, with Lamar Holmes means much? You are in for a rude awakening