Can We Safely Say Matt Ryan Is The Best Falcons Qb Ever?

BirdWeisErrr_2

Or will some still go with Chandler for the SB appearance? Or Bartkowski? Vick?? (It was hard for me to type that without laughing.)

I believe he is and it isn't even close IMO.

As a child I was a huge Bartkowski fan.

Chandler took us to a SB.

Vick gave us some exciting monents.

Jeff George had some big games.

Now that I think about it it's sad that we've had so few quality QB's in all of these years. However, I'm thankful we have Matt Ryan for hopefully many many more years.

Thank You Matt!

Sure.

A quick career projection (assuming 12 years, which is probably light), gives us the following:

46,944 yards

306 TD

154 INT

Chandler finished his career (17 years with a slew of teams) with around 28,500 yards. Bartkowski finished his (12 years, mostly Atlanta) with a bit over 24,000.

I'm aware that Ryan's playing in a time when passing stats are much higher compared to the other guys, but since there's a solid chance he'll finish top 10 all time in passing yards and have a 2:1 TD:INT ratio, pretty safe to say he's the best we've had. Shoot, with numbers like that (and bear in mind that those projections include his early seasons when he wasn't throwing nearly as much - he'd be over 50,000 if you look at his numbers from the last few years and use those to generate the projection), if he can get a ring, he's very possibly looking at Hall of Fame consideration.

Since year 5 was this ever in question? I thought it was a pretty well known fact that Matt Ryan is and was the Atlanta Falcons best QB ever. Bartowski was Falcons starting QB for 10 years and had all the major passing records. Ryan has been QB for 6 years and 1 game and has already beaten nearly every single one of those records.

Since year 5 was this ever in question? I thought it was a pretty well known fact that Matt Ryan is and was the Atlanta Falcons best QB ever. Bartowski was Falcons starting QB for 10 years and had all the major passing records. Ryan has been QB for 6 years and 1 game and has already beaten nearly every single one of those records.

I was gonna say... 2008-2012 already cemented Ryan's place as best ever for me, especially 08 and 12. This year looks like it could be extra special, though.

Favre had a chance at this. I remember a game he stepped in for Chris Miller for 5 plays. Favre didn't do much but his arm was WAY better than Miller's. It had zip and almost no arc going downfield. You could see the potential right there.

To this day I still have no idea why Favre was traded to Green Bay. But Favre had the chance to become great under the tutelage of Mike Holmgren (Bill Walsh branch) and did.

Favre had a chance at this. I remember a game he stepped in for Chris Miller for 5 plays. Favre didn't do much but his arm was WAY better than Miller's. It had zip and almost no arc going downfield. You could see the potential right there.

To this day I still have no idea why Favre was traded to Green Bay. But Favre had the chance to become great under the tutelage of Mike Holmgren (Bill Walsh branch) and did.

Because Brett Favre was nothing more than a party animal when he was here. He didn't learn the playbook. He missed practices. HeIl, if I recall correctly he even missed the team photo in 1991 because he was hungover. Jerry Glanville didn't like him and refused to call him by his name, calling him Mississippi instead. Favre would have been out of the league in just a couple of years had he stayed here. It took him getting traded to the Packers to wake up and start taking things seriously. He said it himself, "if the Falcons don't want me then I must suck pretty bad."

I know all of this from the ESPN show about reasons you can't blame the Falcons for trading Brett Favre.

I'm not old enough to speak intelligently on Bartkowski. Stats don't necessarily translate from era to era.

So, I'll defer the Ryan vs. Bart question to those of you who've been around a little longer.

To me the only thing Bart did better than Matt was the deep pass, and by deep I'm talking 30+ yarders and greater. Bart had a simply gorgeous deep pass. His arm was simply a cannon, but he had nice touch on shorter passes as well. It's a shame his knees gave out behind our OL.

Here's Glanville's answer:

Our buddy Thom Abraham of WNSR in Nashville passes along a clip of a recent interview with former Falcons coach Jerry Glanville, who defended the decision to trade Favre in blunt terms.

“I had to get him out of Atlanta. . . . I could not sober him up,” Glanville said. “I sent him to a city where at 9:00 at night the only thing that’s open is Chili Joes. You can get it two ways, with or without onions. And that’s what made Brett Favre make a comeback was going to a town that closed down. If I would have traded him to New York, nobody to this day would have known who Brett Favre ever was.”

I was and am a huge Steve Bartkowski fan but Matt Ryan is the best QB we've ever had.

THIS! Man, Bart to Jenkins, Jackson or Francis were some good times to watch the Falcons. When we had Cain and Andrews, Bart hitting those swing passes to WA31 out of the backfield were absolute beauty to watch when he'd catch the ball in stride and truck some of the best defensive players in the league (Ronnie Lott, I'm lookin at you)

but as great as that was, getting to the playoffs, those teams never managed to even put together back to back winning seasons. I know Matt now holds so many of the records, and most of those were Bartkowski's that he broke. But go look at those charts and see how much sooner Matt hit those records. Yeah yeah, they play more games per season now, and yes it's a "passing league" now...... but even at that, compare it from 'attempts'....

Hands down, it's Matt all the way. He will get us a SB win before his career ends

I'm a big fan of Bartkowski but I can say that if Ryan had some of the defenses that the Falcons fielded in Bart's day, we'd probably have a couple of rings by now. We had statistically, the greatest defense in NFL modern history in 1977 and didn't even make the dang playoffs. :/

Ryan with the Gritz Blitz on the other side of the ball would most likely run the table on the rest of the league.