Just A Thought Of The Day - How I Would Redo The Draft In Hindsight.

Disclaimer:

1) This is just for discussion purposes as talking about it will not change how the draft actually happened.

2) Matthews was the absolutely right pick for us. No debating.

3) I understand hindsight is 20/20.

Round 1: Anthony Barr.

Round 2: Jeremiah Attaochu.

Round 2 (trade up): Kony Ealy.

Our defense looks dramatically differntly. A lot better passrush!

I'll rightfully reserve my full judgment on Hageman and Southward because it's wayyy to early! But Attaochu looked so good against the Cardinals, I'm sure he woulda been a good pick up.

And the dirty Panthers got so much of a steal with Ealy sliding far so in the 2nd that we shoulda traded back into the 2nd and grabbed him over Southward.

I know that (a healthy) Matthews was the absolute correct pick to protect the ultimate player on this franchise, Matt Ryan. But the thing is that there were good LTs (ex, Jared Veldheer) availabe in FA who woulda been great pickups. The main problem is that we are stuck with a ridiculous Sam Baker contract, not that we were targeting Matthews initially.

I'll eat my crow and admit that I didn't want Barr. I was wrong. But I did like Attaochu. Man, it woulda been fun to watch Barr and Attaochu flying off the edges behind Soliai, Babs, and Jackson in a legit 3-4. I'd like to see Brees settle in the pocket then.

Flame away. I can take it. I'm ready. cool.png

Well I was thinking trade back up into second to get Attaochu. I saw him with the Chargers too and I was like OMG THAT'S THE GUY FROM GT.

I'd save the trade up to go get Ealy in the 2nd, instead of getting Southward in the 3rd. Shizz even Louis Nix was available in the 3rd when we took Southward...but we had already taken Hageman :-/

Edited by I Even Bleed Red
Guest Negatorris

I'm scratching my head because I guess Dimitroff really wanted to stop the run with all of the DTs and LBs we took. Defense looks the same as last year, at least up front. I'm waiting to see Bryan Cox's impact. I've seen Rice's...

I dont think any of those three players have the ceiling of Matthews or Hageman to be honest. The more reps we can get Hageman early the better. Its when, not if, he starts to take over games.

Besides, it takes more than a knee jerk reaction to make me want to replace one of guys with Attaochu. These OLBs would just be getting limited reps behind Kroy and Osi anyways, like Mass.

To be honest I'm actually amazed this team has won as many regular season games as it has with this regime's continued failure to build a pass rush (outside of just relying on Abe when he was here).

Something is either wrong with our scouting department in that area or they (the scouts) are presenting their work to Dimitroff and he is ignoring it.

The Falcons will never achieve that ultimate goal of hoisting a Lombardi until they find a way to generate some heat on opposing QBs.

To be honest I'm actually amazed this team has won as many regular season games as it has with this regime's continued failure to build a pass rush (outside of just relying on Abe when he was here).

Something is either wrong with our scouting department in that area or they (the scouts) are presenting their work to Dimitroff and he is ignoring it.

The Falcons will never achieve that ultimate goal of hoisting a Lombardi until they find a way to generate some heat on opposing QBs.

I don't think that's the case. We literally tried everything to get Charles Johnson here. And if Greg Hardy woulda ended up a FA, we woulda thrown the house at him. There are couple other instances I can't think of off the top of my head this early.

My gripe is two fold: Firstly, the reason we didn't draft a passrusher is because we absolutely needed a tackle. The reason we didn't get a legit LT this offseason is Sam Bakers contract. LTs like Jared Veldheer and Eugene Monroe were available this offseason, who are quality starters for their teams. H3ll, even Jake Long was available when we resigned Baker.

Secondly, maybe I don't understand the situation fully but we sure as h3ll had cap room and passrushers like Jared Allen, Dwight Freeny, and Julius Peppers were available late into the FA. What the h3ll were we waiting for?? I understand we're trying to get younger, but why didn't we go after one of these guys when we knew we were taking an OT in the draft? Osi is still our best passrusher and he's just as old. It's not like we have a lot of great passrushers lying around, so we coulda made an exception for one of em.

I dont think any of those three players have the ceiling of Matthews or Hageman to be honest. The more reps we can get Hageman early the better. Its when, not if, he starts to take over games.

Lol so what's he waiting for? I saw Hageman look tired and sluggish during preseason games and there was no question he plays with different motivation during different plays. He looked outta shape and came accross straight up stubborn during Hard Knocks. He seemed underprepared and pessimistic.

Our 4th round draft pick, Devanta Freeman, has already contributed more at a position with deeper depth than both our 2nd and 3rd round picks (Hageman and Southward) combined. Attaochu and Ealy were both picked later in the 2nd round and have already made immediate impacts on their respective teams.

Look, I know you're right. This is wayyyy too early to tell and I am being way too hard on Hageman. I hope he makes me eat my words. But don't talk like he's Suh or Geno Atkins - that's BS.

Edited by I Even Bleed Red

I don't think that's the case. We literally tried everything to get Charles Johnson here. And if Greg Hardy woulda ended up a FA, we woulda thrown the house at him. There are couple other instances I can't think of off the top of my head this early.

My gripe is two fold: Firstly, the reason we didn't draft a passrusher is because we absolutely needed a tackle. The reason we didn't get a legit LT this offseason is Sam Bakers contract. LTs like Jared Veldheer and Eugene Monroe were available this offseason, who are quality starters for their teams. H3ll, even Jake Long was available when we resigned Baker.

Secondly, maybe I don't understand the situation fully but we sure as h3ll had cap room and passrushers like Jared Allen, Dwight Freeny, and Julius Peppers were available late into the FA. What the h3ll were we waiting for?? I understand we're trying to get younger, but why didn't we go after one of these guys when we knew we were taking an OT in the draft? Osi is still our best passrusher and he's just as old. It's not like we have a lot of great passrushers lying around, so we coulda made an exception for one of em.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I noticed that much of your post focused on this year and on Falcons attempts to acquire FA DEs in the past couple of years.

I'm talking about the failure of the FO during their entire time here to draft and/or develop effective pass rushers.

No, it's that he's (self admittedly) way outta shape.

You do realize Hageman has lost about 15 pounds and has been working on conditioning right? He's not even close to being in the same shape as he was a few weeks ago on hard knocks. This staff has always been reluctant to throw rookies into the fire and Hageman appears to be no different. He should be getting more snaps otherwise he will have a long road to establishing comfort in NFL games.

I'll reserve judgement for the coming weeks as we had a huge test in week1. His conditioning isn't perfect, but he should still be getting in some quality time during rotation.

So we draft 3 rookie OLBs but fail to address the OL. We lose last Sunday bad because Ryan has no time to throw so we see a post here that says how I would redo the draft this time drafting Matthews and 3 OTs.

Jesus bro read the post. I said Matthews was the absolute best pick for us several times! Our team is nothing without #2 and I know he needs to be protected first. I also said had we not been stuck with Bakers contract, we coulda def signed a legit LT in the FA and then taken a passruher.