2014 Falcons Vs 2012 Falcons

laynepink

Obviously we know our 2012 squad made the NFCCG and nearly won it. How does the team compare? Let's see:

2012 WR: Roddy White

2014 WR: Roddy White

Roddy's 2 years older but still a savvy veteran. He will probably be a marginal downgrade from his 2012 self. Edge: 2012 Falcons

2012 TE: Tony Gonzalez

2012 TE: Levine Toilolo

Definitely a downgrade here, but Toilolo has some promise. Edge: 2012 Falcons

2012 LT: Sam Baker

2014 LT: Jake Matthews

Assuming Jake's health, I think he can hold his own. I didn't see enough of Jake to truly make a call, but hopefully he can prove us wrong. Edge: 2012 Falcons

2012 LG: Justin Blalock

2014 LG: Justin Blalock

Blalock is pretty much the same guy, even if I think Tice's coaching will make him better I have to call this a tie. Edge: Tie

2012 C: Todd McClure

2014 C: Joe Hawley

I like what I've seen of Hawley, but at this point it's hard to say he's better than old Todd. Edge: 2012 Falcons

2012 QB: Matt Ryan

2014 QB: Matt Ryan

Based on Week 1, Matt has taken a new level of leadership and skill. Edge: 2014 Falcons

2012 RG: Garrett Reynolds/Peter Konz

2014 RG: Jon Asamoah

No brainer. Edge: 2014 Falcons

Anyone want to continue the rankings?

It's more schematic then it is position wise. People don't realize what we just witnessed. We were effective in running the ball as a 4 wide set. The saints could not consistently be effective with their 4 man fronts. Matt Ryan simply brushed off their feeble attempts to generate a pressure with their front by stepping into the pocket or moving away with ease and still find an open man. We created a monster that has more potential than the broncos offense. It's scary. Try covering Julio or roddy, Harry or Devin. Anyone of them can hurt you and beat you as we proved with the saints. If that's not enough, any of our backs can run or catch. Try covering them too. This is where levin and bear needs to be effective blockers or catchers too. This could be the most fun year we had!

As a fan base can we just agree that we've moved on from Tony? It's not that he wasn't great, but if you have 4 dependable recievers you don't need a pass catching tight end. If you want to make the comparison, it's Tony vs Harry and Devin. That's where the production will go, and that's how the offense is evolving.

I'll take two dependable recievers over Tony. Again, Tony was great, but it's harder to gameplan for this receiving core than it was for our two ones and Tony. If 2012 was pick your poison then 2014 is dig your own grave.

Guest Negatorris

Our current offense is better.

Defense looks like it did later in the 2012 year with all the yards given up, but timely turnovers. Pass rush is slightly worse it seems.

LB core 2012/ LB core 2014

Our LB's of 2012 had a hard time covering the middle flats and were stone walled at the line of scrimmage. Our 2014 LB's are doing a way better job covering RBs coming out of the back field and it seems that they are way better at attacking the line and getting through thanks to Our new DL front.

Advantage 2014 LBs

Our offense looked an awful lot like how the Saints ran theres a few years ago. Ryan was just spreading the ball around to everyone like Brees used to do with Colston, Meachem, Moore, Henderson, and his RB's in Thomas, Sproles, and Ingram. That offense won a Super Bowl one year, our can as well as long our defense plays opportunistic style defense like they did in 2012

Our offense looked an awful lot like how the Saints ran theres a few years ago. Ryan was just spreading the ball around to everyone like Brees used to do with Colston, Meachem, Moore, Henderson, and his RB's in Thomas, Sproles, and Ingram. That offense won a Super Bowl one year, our can as well as long our defense plays opportunistic style defense like they did in 2012

One of the biggest things that helped was our O-line kept the pocket clean

I would actually make Joe Hawley and MudDuck a lot closer. Joe has been pretty good the last half season and in week one. He actually reminds me a lot of McClure.

And I think Matthews (when he was out there) was playing at a pretty high level. Obviously a little early to judge, but he looked pretty dang good.

Lets continue:

RB's

Michael Turner

JacQuizz Rodgers

vs

Steven Jackson

JacQuizz Rodgers

Antone Smith

Devonta Freeman

I loved Turner, still do....so this is hard for me, but I'm going 2014 by a mile. The depth of our rotation is awesome. All 4 RB's are good at what they do. Fun to watch.

WR

2012 Harry Douglas

Drew Davis

vs.

2014 Harry Douglas

Devin Hester

Easiest one we have. 2014 by a mile.

Interior D-Line

DT Johnathan Babineux

DT Corey Peters/ Peria Jerry

vs

DE Johnathan Babineux

NT Paul Soliai/ Rashede Hageman

DE Tyson Jackson/ Malliciah Goodman

I give the nod to the 2014 team here. Not only are Soliai, Jackson, Hageman, and Goodman improvements, but they make us much deeper too.

That 2012 struggle t stop the run.

Pass Rushers

DE John Abraham

DE Kroy Biermann/ Ray Edwards

vs.

OLB Kroy Biermann/ Stansley Maponga

OLB Jonathan Massaquoi/ Osi Umenyiora

As sad as this is for anyone who remembers watch Ray Edwards, I have to go 2012. Abe was good enough by himself to win this one. Take away Abe and it is a lot closer, but maybe Osi can get it together.

LB's

Sean Weatherspoon

Stephen Nicholas

Akeem Dent

vs.

Paul Worrilow

Jopolo Bartu/ Prince Shembo

I think I'm gonna go 2014 here. Nic and Spoon were pretty solid that year, so its hard to pick which group I would take for the nickel Spoon/Nic or Worrilow/Bartu. But I'm gonna go 2014 here

CB's

Dunta Robinson

Asante Samuel

Robert McClain

vs

Desmond Trufant

Robert Alford

Robert McClain

Tough. Asante, Dunta, and Bobby Mac were all really good in 2012, but Trufant, Alford and McClain dont look bad either. Ill call this a wash for now.

SS

William Moore

vs

WIlliam Moore

I'll give it a tie. Moore had the clutch forced fumble to beat the Saints, so he is in my good graces for now. I cant say a bad word about him. lol

FS

Thomas DeCoud

vs

Dwight Lowery

As much as he sucked in 2013, DeCoud was pretty dang good in 2012. I gotta go with him, although I did very much like what I saw out of Lowery. I dont think FS will be the issue we thought it was going to be.

LB core 2012/ LB core 2014

Our LB's of 2012 had a hard time covering the middle flats and were stone walled at the line of scrimmage. Our 2014 LB's are doing a way better job covering RBs coming out of the back field and it seems that they are way better at attacking the line and getting through thanks to Our new DL front.

Advantage 2014 LBs

I think they cover equally, maybe 2014 is worse. This team definitely tackles better as a whole which will save us. Also, I remember us having a little defense issue in 2012 during the first game stopping Matt Cassell and KC but then slowing them down in the second half. The next game, we made Peyton look like Tony Romo did this past Sunday. Maybe we can have that type of turn around this Sunday.