What's Up With Devin Hester?

Why is he all of a sudden good at receiver? Talking to bears fans during the offseason and they would tell you he was one of the worst receivers ever lol . He had Ashlon and Brandon in Chicago to take pressure off him. Why does he look so much better here? Change of scenery? Better QB? What do you think?

Edited by BrandonDell_
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is he all of a sudden good at receiver? Talking to bears fans during the offseason and they would tell you he was one of the worst receivers ever lol . He had Ashlon and Brandon in Chicago to take pressure off him. Why does he look so much better here? Change of scenery? Better QB? What do you think?

They didn't use him in the offense last season. Before that that had him as a #2 and he's clearly a slot. Cutler is also a reason. He's a strong armed guy but throws a lot of uncatchable balls. The system. I doubt Hester would've been used much in our system when TG was here. The new scheme is to get our playmakers in space. This will be matts biggest numbers year simply because all of our receivers and backs can get yac in the passing game.

They didn't use him in the offense last season. Before that that had him as a #2 and he's clearly a slot. Cutler is also a reason. He's a strong armed guy but throws a lot of uncatchable balls. The system. I doubt Hester would've been used much in our system when TG was here. The new scheme is to get our playmakers in space. This will be matts biggest numbers year simply because all of our receivers and backs can get yac in the passing game.

Which also removes my biggest frustration with our offense the last few seasons. All these toys, getting popped the first time they touch the ball. And too many of them not getting touches at all. Get these weapons some room, and get them the ball!

In the preseason, and in our first game, it seemed to me that he was the most successful on slant patterns. Maybe the bears had him running routes that didn't really fit into his skill set. But a slant or a crossing route isn't all that complicated, and if you can avoid getting jammed at the line then you can run a decent slant.

I could be completely off base, but that is what I noticed. And if he catches the ball, he is already in space and moving across the field, not much different that getting him on a kickoff return. I think we will see him drop some this year, but it seems as if they are trying to use him to his strengths, rather than forcing him to fit into the offense.

I still wonder if we wouldn't be better off getting the ball to our second or third option, rather than an aging punt returner. But cant argue with the results we had.

In the preseason, and in our first game, it seemed to me that he was the most successful on slant patterns. Maybe the bears had him running routes that didn't really fit into his skill set. But a slant or a crossing route isn't all that complicated, and if you can avoid getting jammed at the line then you can run a decent slant.

I could be completely off base, but that is what I noticed. And if he catches the ball, he is already in space and moving across the field, not much different that getting him on a kickoff return. I think we will see him drop some this year, but it seems as if they are trying to use him to his strengths, rather than forcing him to fit into the offense.

I still wonder if we wouldn't be better off getting the ball to our second or third option, rather than an aging punt returner. But cant argue with the results we had.

Calling Devin Hester an aging punt returner seems a little ridiculous.Is Peyton Manning just an aging Quarterback?Dudes the greatest returner of all time.Still seems to have plenty left in the tank and is the third option on alot of plays. Edited by Jpowers

I actually like that we're not. Too often, Ryan would stare Gonzo down. Now he seems to be hitting the open man, and that is going to open the offense up a lot. People can defend Julio, or Roddy, or even Julio and Roddy. But they can't defend all those options. Our offensive gameplan needs to be to get the ball to the open man. Because someone will be open.

Take it from me, I live in Chicago and have seen most of Hester's career. The Bears never knew how to use him. They will tell you they tried everything with him and it just doesnt work, but they never used him properly. At first, out of Miami, they used him as a CB. He was decent for a rookie, but it took him getting reps as a KR/PR for him to shine. Once he established himself as the best KR/PR in the game (it took him about 5 games to do this lol) the Bears expanded his role going into year 2. They used him very sparingly as a WR and used him basically as a deep ball threat for Kyle Orton. He showed some promise there and they gave him a shot to be the go-to WR. Hester, combined with Johnny Knox led the Bears in receiving for a few years, but never really took off the way Bears fans expected. Eventually the Bears acquired Brandon Marshall and drafted Alshon Jeffery, giving Hester the opportunity to shine in his ideal spot in the slot; however, instead of that, the Bears new "supposedly" offensive genius of a head coach Mark Trestman was too good for that and simply stopped using him as a WR, took him off offense altogether, and used him strictly as a KR/PR. (Hester actually threaten to retire after Lovie Smith got the can in Chicago and it seems as though he never had much of a relationship with Trestman). Now, in his 9th pro season, the Falcons have finally put Hester back into the role he excelled in at Miami and he looks to be thriving. What a shock! lol

Edited by Truth.

Take it from me, I live in Chicago and have seen most of Hester's career. The Bears never knew how to use him. They will tell you they tried everything with him and it just doesnt work, but they never used him properly. At first, out of Miami, they used him as a CB. He was decent for a rookie, but it took him getting reps as a KR/PR for him to shine. Once he established himself as the best KR/PR in the game (it took him about 5 games to do this lol) the Bears expanded his role going into year 2. They used him very sparingly as a WR and used him basically as a deep ball threat for Kyle Orton. He showed some promise there and they gave him a shot to be the go-to WR. Hester, combined with Johnny Knox led the Bears in receiving for a few year, but never really took off the way Bears fans expected. Eventually the Bears acquired Brandon Marshall and drafted Alshon Jeffery, giving Hester the opportunity to shine in his ideal spot in the slot; however, instead of that, the Bears new "supposedly" offensive genius of a head coach Mark Trestman was too good for that and simply stopped using him as a WR, took him off offense altogether, and used him strictly as a KR/PR. (Hester actually threaten to retire after Lovie Smith got the can in Chicago and it seems as though he never had much of a relationship with Trestman). Now, in his 9th pro season, the Falcons have finally put Hester back into the role he excelled in at Miami and he looks to be thriving. What a shock! lol

Great informative post. Except he only had 10 career catches in college for less than 200 yards and no scores. He also had 20+ carries for less than 200 yards. So I wouldn't necessarily say he excelled in college in that role. I know this because I am a hurricane fan

Friend of mine is a Bears fan. He told me it came down to the lack of chemistry between with Cutler - to the point of Cutler throwing him under the bus and talking ish like Hester can't run routes. Supposedly Hester asked to be taken off offense last year cuz he was tired of the beef.

Dunno how true this is of course, but it does jive with Cutler's reputation of douchebaggerry

Devin hester was a good receiver for them he has a youtube videos of him killing it, I think with the warmer weather and playing in the dome will help him out tremendously. He's a great route runner you can see his speed and you cant jam him at the line cause he will blow past you, same ole hester just different uni...... oh and Matt's throwing him the ball lol

Great informative post. Except he only had 10 career catches in college for less than 200 yards and no scores. He also had 20+ carries for less than 200 yards. So I wouldn't necessarily say he excelled in college in that role. I know this because I am a hurricane fan

well he played a lot of everything at miami. he played WR, RB, FB, DB, KR, PR, etc lmao

so you are right, he wasnt exactly a slot guy, but close enough haha

i would love to see him mix into the backfield a bit in a percy harvin role t make our backfield a 5 man stable