Mike Smith Post Game Speech

I Even Bleed Red

I love the chemistry we have in our locker room. With all the complaints about Smitty around here, we forget one thing: Players seem to really like him and he treats them with respect. Comapre that to, say, the 49ers.

Players treat each other like brothers. Example, Hester said he feels like he was home with the Falcons. At a place where there are plenty of star receivers, he didn't have to be welcomed but he was. There are other examples from hardknocks where even players getting cut said that Coach Smith treated them like a person, not just a body. There are plenty of places like that in the NFL.

But Smitty treats every player with respect and on a first name basis. We might have some "choir boys" in our locker room, but we sure as h3ll don't have any divas. Locker room chemistry is very important and it starts with the head coach! Players seem to play for Smitty.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152422491167842&set=vb.50806422841&type=2&theater

I don't understand

What does this mean?

srry typing on phone can be a pain, and it's simple while atl players get respect compared to like the op stated the Niners. Atl players watch the sB at home while the disrespected niners where in the SB. Respect from a coach only gets you so far. Smitty doesn't have the fire anymore to get in players faces and tell em how it is, he is respectful about it. Respect only gets you so far

I don't understand

What does this mean?

srry typing on phone can be a pain, and it's simple while atl players get respect compared to like the op stated the Niners. Atl players watch the sB at home while the disrespected niners where in the SB. Respect from a coach only gets you so far. Smitty doesn't have the fire anymore to get in players faces and tell em how it is, he is respectful about it. Respect only gets you so far

http://boards.atlant... +nolan +farted

On Saturday, Smitty was player's coach who had a losing playoff record and couldn't win against the Stains. On Monday, Smitty isplayer's coach who has a losing playoff record. SS/DD.

Did you really just say respect only gets you so far?

Think about that for a minute. That makes absolutely no sense. Those same niners have made it once to the SB and didn't win.

But your going to tell me the reason they made it was due to disrespect?

And this makes sense how?

can you not be such a meathead? thanks lol

I see. Smitty's approach is certainly respectful, but also wish he would go "Keith Armstrong Hard Knocks style" on 'em more often.

Ex) I'm a grown man, and am self disciplined enough to continue to push myself and be successful. I like to workout too, and can stay in good shape. However, when someone who I respect checks me and challenges me at work or when a trainer gets real with me in an athletic setting, I tend to respond positively and go harder. As long as the confrontation is in my best interest and is rooted from positivity, the I have no problem with it. But if someone is constantly negative or belittling, I can't feel as motivated to join their cause.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is a fine line when playing with fire.

He used the niners as an example so I counter the argument with the niners as well.

And yes respect will only get him so far as a coach, will the respect from his players save him his Jon if we flop again or fail to make it far in the playoffs? no he will be out of a job.

I see. Smitty's approach is certainly respectful, but also wish he would go "Keith Armstrong Hard Knocks style" on 'em more often.

Ex) I'm a grown man, and am self disciplined enough to continue to push myself and be successful. I like to workout too, and can stay in good shape. However, when someone who I respect checks me and challenges me at work or when a trainer gets real with me in an athletic setting, I tend to respond positively and go harder. As long as the confrontation is in my best interest and is rooted from positivity, the I have no problem with it. But if someone is constantly negative or belittling, I can't feel as motivated to join their cause.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is a fine line when playing with fire.

fair example

You can't curse your stars or you could get fired. You could probably curse a scrub, but it would be inconsistent and ineffective. Respect all around is the best course.

Smitty has positional coaches to light the fires. He's there to control the burn.

I actually kinda like that....

"Smitty has positional coaches to light the fires. He's there to control the burn."

+1

Ex) I'm a grown man, and am self disciplined enough to continue to push myself and be successful. I like to workout too, and can stay in good shape. However, when someone who I respect checks me and challenges me at work or when a trainer gets real with me in an athletic setting, I tend to respond positively and go harder. As long as the confrontation is in my best interest and is rooted from positivity, the I have no problem with it.

This is respectul

But if someone is constantly negative or belittling, I can't feel as motivated to join their cause.

This one is not

Kinda how I feel everytime I read threads to make ____ position coach or coordinator our HC. I love guys like Armstrong, Tice and Cox, they are exactly what a stable organization needs but the HC needs to be the center of calm and stability. If we want the "ra ra fire em up" guy I'm sure Rex Ryan will be available before you know it. laugh.png

I have questions about Mike Smith's decision making in some scenarios, but have never worried that he wasn't tough enough on the players. People who just blithely skip past his 61-34 overall record to focus on his poor playoff record as if just any HC could come to a franchise that had never had consecutive winning seasons and produce five straight winning seasons and four seasons of at least 10 wins and two #1 seeds and... dang, if these mofos were as critical of their own job performances, the economy would be growing like a weed!

I actually kinda like that....

"Smitty has positional coaches to light the fires. He's there to control the burn."

+1

I guess that is a very fair and valid way to look at things.

When I was playing High school ball a few years back, I respected my coaches but saw reason to feel disrespected, and I played my *** of regardless. Our respectful coach got fired and we got a new coach who helped us make it to CIF finals. I guess i expect that in any coach but I could very well be wrong,it's how I saw things when I played