For years and years and years and years and years under Mike Smith the Falcons always came out flat in the 3rd quarter and struggled in the 2nd half making a comeback from a double-digit margin almost impossible.

On Sunday that wasn't the case. The Falcons came out in the 2nd half and dominated the Saints. The Falcons outscored the Saints 27-14 in the 2nd half of the game.

Most years being down 13-0 was a death sentence for the Falcons, especially against the Saints. But that wasn't the case on Sunday. They were down by 13 points twice and still won! Just amazing.

It was great to see the new aggressive attitude of the DL in the 2nd half yesterday. You could tell that Bryan Cox got in their azzes at halftime yesterday.

Great job by the OL today and when someone did miss a block Ryan made up for it.

I said earlier this season that we needed to keep Smith fresh for the 3rd quarter then unleash him. plus Freeman looks to be a possible home-run hitter for late in games along with Quizz. we already know the situation with our receivers and the O-line and Toilolo blocked their arses off all game. Matt needs to keep taking control of games and keep his foot on the petal

I said earlier this season that we needed to keep Smith fresh for the 3rd quarter then unleash him. plus Freeman looks to be a possible home-run hitter for late in games along with Quizz. we already know the situation with our receivers and the O-line and Toilolo blocked their arses off all game. Matt needs to keep taking control of games and keep his foot on the petal

It was good to see all four running backs get used.

I was just listening to Smitty talking to Dave Archer and Wes Durham and he mentioned something about making a change at halftime. He said he talked to a lot of people and players in the league about it and made a change. He did mention there isn't a whole lot you can change because halftime isn't very long, but apparently he tried something different.

Scoring points at the end of the first half and then getting the ball to start the second can be a HUGE momentum changer. That is why we need to start kicking off when we win the coin toss.

^^^this X 1000^^^

Given the ability of the Ryan to succcessfully execute scoring drives with less than a minute remaining, the combo of scoring at the end of the 1st half + getting the ball to start the second half is a GREAT momentum builder. The Falcons closed a 13 point gap to 3 points without Brees ever getting off the bench.

Just knowing how the Aints had to travel home and stew in that defeat makes me giggle inside LOL... Just thinking about Drew and Sean Payton seething over it... I hope they threw up a little bit in their mouthstongue.png

Sean was so freaked out he went blind and had to sport some cheater glasses for the first time laugh.png

Bw8jqyCCQAAas3q.jpg

Edited by HASHBROWN3

Steven Jackson,while not ripping huge chunks of realestate,did an amazing job,,they knew he was going to run it,but he wore them down.He is huge and if you watch,the Saints defense would stand with their hands on their hips trying to catch a breath.He knocked Lofton on his butt and out of the game for one down.The committee was all hungry,Smith and Quizz were not going to be denied after getting close on previous touches.Freeman knocked two defenders on their butts after breaking free from another one,you could tell he could smell the end zone and wanted it bad.Jackson will get his chance.That not withstanding,I was cringing at the play calling in OT,too conservative.I think we should do with Hester what the Saints did with Cooks and Seattle did with Harvin,run him out of the backfield across lateraly.I think we catch some folks off guard with that.

Am I the only one who noticed on the coin toss in overtime when the coin toss happened, the ref said they called heads, flipped the coin, and said "tails it is" and the saints won it somehow?

It seemed like one guy said heads, then Brees said tails, and nomatter which side it landed on, they'd win.

NO Ryan said "we will kick"

you want the other team to get the ball first.

If they score a TD then you know you have to get a TD

if they score a FG then you know a TD will win it or you can tie with a FG

>>>>>>>>>>>If they do not score then you can set up a FG<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Pretty sure if they score a TD they win. No coach ever defers in OT because of it.

Uhh no. The ref thought they said heads before he ever flipped it & they said tails over and over to make sure he knew they called tails.

You do not ever want to defer in OT. If the first team scores a touchdown, the game is over. The other team doesn't get the ball. That's only if they kick a field goal. The ref asked Matt which way they wanted to kick, since the saints were receiving.

Hahaha - I looked at my husband and granddaughter at the game and said - OMG, the 3rd quarter is over - and ALL THAT happened in the 3rd quarter! They must have fumigated whatever poison has been floating around that locker room for the past 10 years!

post of the thread right there! I'm out of positive votes for the day though, I'll have to remember to come back and get it later

Man Freeman was one move away from a TD on that crucial 3rd down conversion he made for us! So pumped when he has the ball in his hands.

Cant start a thread but caught something on the radio that was relevant.................

Coach Smith said on the radio earlier today, that there was a miscommunication on the sidelines two times during that game that lead to explosive plays for their offense. He said that they basically had the wrong personnel in there, and that it was the coaches fault for not having the right guys out there. (would have liked to know what difference that would've made having the right guys in there)

I was also very happy to hear Matt say on there that he was VERY proud of Freeman for fighting for extra yards on that check down. The play down in the redzone. It got the first down, and allowed the TD to be a possible. ( glad he's giving props there that play WAS huge)

Am I the only one who noticed on the coin toss in overtime when the coin toss happened, the ref said they called heads, flipped the coin, and said "tails it is" and the saints won it somehow?

It seemed like one guy said heads, then Brees said tails, and nomatter which side it landed on, they'd win.

On the broadcast, you can hear the Saints player say, "Tails", but the Ref incorrectly says they called Heads, he corrected himself, but didn't explain it.

Yep. Caught that as well. Really pissed me off.