A Tdwii Observation: Well Done Matt Ryan...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read... Pretty good analysis. I doubt Ryan knew what he was capable of at his peak with good protection. Before this game, the perception was that he could only play the position the way that you're supposed to. Checkdowns, throwaways, taking sacks... He didnt have the ability and creativity to go beyond the "QB script". He was consistent and could make every throw, but didn't like to take shots/risks down field... He played within boundaries. Yesterday, he went above and beyond and took over. We overcame mistakes that should've lost us this game to tie it. I made a post before the season began saying that these next 4 years will be his "prime" years. If he wants to be a champion and HOF, he has to cement his legacy these next 4 years starting now, and he's gotten off to a good start against NO.

From an outside looking in, I saw a lot of the Mat Ryan I saw in 2008 personality wise. The guy who dove in the Minnesota game for the end zone. Buying time in the pocket to get down field.

I saw the same personality of the rook with the veteran understanding of the game he has developed over the last 6 years.

It felt like some came to him and said, Al lthe stuff we told you about how not to make a mistake all the stuff you learned, use it but know this your time is now, you have to play now with everything you got.

It was always felt like sometimes Matt Ryan holds back trying not to lose while yesterday he understood that game was must win, don't worry about messing up just do what ever it takes to win.

until OT, then it felt like the hand cuffs where back on...

THIS! I thought the EXACT same thing. Minnesota - head dive. San Diego - knocking the ref out of the way as he chased down a defender. Philadelphia - waving off the QB trying to take his place and coming back in when you thought surely he had to be about half dead.

Good Lord - what about the game against Chicago. The game against Tampa - where we lost - where he took a beating - but kept coming back trying.

Even New Orleans in 2008 - the first game. He outplayed the **** out of Brees then.

He was the matured result of that 2008 rookie we saw - along with a QB who TRUSTED his line - really did, regardless of the PC press conferences.

This game was better than than watching Peyton Manning get his over rated ash handed to him in the Super flub of a championship game.THIS was what football was meant to be.On the edge of your seat,shouting screaming,dancing and scaring the beejeesus out of the kids/pets/neighbors because the Falcon's led by Matt and won by the other Matt,showed us what football is all about.I couldn't even gloat over all my swamp rat co workers,it was too good a game and any mean,petty remarks would have cheapened the win.I'll see you at the katrina-dome December 21st.And we're bringing a **** big broom!

Ryan's footwork when eluding pressure was much better yesterday. He was much more nimble.

All the rest of this analysis must be taken with a grain of salt. Too many folks try to psychoanalyze someone whom they've never met and dissect emotional/psychological factors of situations which they are only observing from afar. The reality is no one on the TATF board is privvy to enough insider knowledge of what is happening at practice, in the huddle, or in the locker room to be able to declare what Ryan "feels" or "thinks" about his role. i would speculate that people who attempt to do so are granting themselves analytical authority to make themselves seem more important than they really are, but then i'd be practicing the very behavior i was indicting rolleyes.gif

Matt Ryan played his butt off last season, and showed me everything i needed to know about whether he has what it takes to be the QB of a SB winner when he kept going out there and giving it his all despite the losing record. His stats over his seven seasons are undeniable. The folks who have spent words trying to pick nits about his abilities have been wasting their time and dumbing down the TATF.

I completely disagree. Although Matt may well have learned something about field vision last year, and definitely showed better pocket awareness out of necessity by the end of last season, the Matt Ryan of last night is the same Matt Ryan since the beginning. Or rather, in my mind he is, and neither you nor I see him or the team closely enough to know for sure. All either one of us is doing is confirming our own biases.

I will also completely disagree with your thought regarding his "humble nature." I think you are 1000% wrong. I think, at least in terms of his own beliefs in what he can do on the field, he is as arrogant as any QB in the game. He simply hides that side of himself from outsiders. I think he gives credit to his teammates because he is a good leader and it is the right thing to do, not because he is "humble."

what made what Ryan did special yesterday was his pocket and out of pocket mobility. Last year (agreeing the OL was horribly bad) he did not step up to clean pocket space much. He looked like his pocket awareness really improved.

1). He had more of a clean pocket this game than at pretty much any time last year.

2). His improved pocket awareness/presence was really apparent by the SF game last year.

Edited by NOVAFalconFan

Well said TDWII. I agreed with a lot of your crticisms of Matt over his career - while still being a huge Matt Ryan fan Some don't get it but you can be both a big fan while simultaneously being honest about your team's player weaknesses and failures.

Matt was different yesterday and it had more to do with his mentality and supreme effort in face of plays breaking down than it had to do with filling up a stat sheet.

The big thing about Ryan yesterday was that he was amazingly consistent throughout the game. We had always seen the great Ryan in the opening drive, or late drives, or here and there. But I don't remember having seen Ryan dominate from the beginning to the end. I hope he can do this more often, and also when we are not behind.