Saints. What The Heck Is Going On With That Defense?

Big Bubba

I wanted to give all credit to the Falcons offense for making the Saints defense look bad, but I can't... The Saints defense looked lost on nearly every play and it was a rare sighting to see any of their players actually tackle or rush the passer.

They looked sluggish... that became clearer once I saw that they even looked slow when they were trying to chase down the lumbering Matt Ryan, who looked like a snail with crutches, whenever he ran.

I only bring this up because you guys have a top 5 potential defense, none of what made your defense amazing last season, showed itself in week 1.

ETA on Rob Ryan fixing it?

We'll find out more this weekend in Cleveland. Correct the issues and its smooth sailing. Do it again and all **** will break loose.

It is easy to correct the tackling issue. Rob Ryan should have that fixed within a week or two. That was the main thing I saw...that and the limited pass rush. which could have been an anomaly.

Rob Ryan looked afraid to play aggressive D yesterday, perhaps respecting the Falcon passing game. And that was a mistake. Tackling was terrible as well.

That was the mistake. I agree. If the other team has that many receivers, the best way to take them away is to punish the qb, not let him have all day to throw, while hoping his defensive players can determine which receiver is going to get the ball.

Last season the Saints weren't a finesse defense like the Seahawks....a defense that can let the qb sit in the pocket while knowing all WRs are well covered for an infinite amount of time. Not many defenses can pull that off. In fact, I think only the Seahawks can pull that type of defense off. Every other defense has to get after the qb.

Will be interesting to see the 2nd match-up. I believe Rob Ryan will learn from his mistakes.

That was the mistake. I agree. If the other team has that many receivers, the best way to take them away is to punish the qb, not let him have all day to throw, while hoping his defensive players can determine which receiver is going to get the ball.

Last season the Saints weren't a finesse defense like the Seahawks....a defense that can let the qb sit in the pocket while knowing all WRs are well covered for an infinite amount of time. Not many defenses can pull that off. In fact, I think only the Seahawks can pull that type of defense off. Every other defense has to get after the qb.

Will be interesting to see the 2nd match-up. I believe Rob Ryan will learn from his mistakes.

I agree. The Saints shoulda brought the pressure. On the few blitzes they did bring, minimal gains or incompletions were commonplace.

But credit the Falcons for playing at the top of their game.

we are gonna be running the run n shoot, 4 receivers on the field......if k.lew is gonna cover JJ, who' is gonna cover....RW HD AND hester? there is bound to be a mis match in there some whre

play it off as the saints bad game planning, but our receivers were a mismatch for there db's and i even called it after the 3rd pre season game

play it off as the saints bad game planning, but our receivers were a mismatch for there db's and i even called it after the 3rd pre season game

What is the best way to handle a team with 4 quality WRs? Your own opinion. Do you not play aggressive and let the qb have all day in the pocket while you try and lock down every one of those WRs... or... do you act aggressive...and go for the qb...and attack his Oline...especially once their 1st round franchise LT went out of the game. I'm not talking about results... Just ...what would you believe the best action to take is?

It was a bad game plan. Unless you believe the Falcons are going to put up that many yards and that many points every, single, game... then it's not taking anything away from the Falcons.. you guys had a good game and ya can't control what gameplan the other team uses, you can just beat it, or not. The Falcons beat it.. it doesn't change the opinion though that the Saints used the wrong game plan...and sought to gameplan against the WRs, instead of attacking Ryan.

There was one play where it looked like Junior Galette just stopped in the middle of the play and was walking around adjusting his shoulder pads...meanwhile Matt Ryan was rolling out the opposite way and JG was just walking around!

Very odd play!

Piss poor game planning.

Horrible fundamentals

Lack of energy

You can't play both safeties 30 yards deep and then ask an avg coverage lb to occupy a huge zone.

If you play cover 2, you better dam well tackle cause if not, it will be a long day.

Poor play from Robinson at CB. He's better at man to man when he can trail a WR. You put him in a zone with 40 yards to cover and he's done.

I could go on for a while but you get the point.

Falcons O Line stepped Up, even when Matthews went down, Carimi came in and we really started lighting it up, I think Smith said 18 Explosive Plays.....

Falcons O Line Looks pretty good, Credit M Tice , he has these guys ready to roll.....

and if you give M Ryan Time

he is gonna find some of the Massive Weapons Falcons Have on O

There was one play where it looked like Junior Galette just stopped in the middle of the play and was walking around adjusting his shoulder pads...meanwhile Matt Ryan was rolling out the opposite way and JG was just walking around!

Very odd play!

I've been reading a lot of stuff about junyah playing lazy as ****. All that money in his pockets must be weighing him down

I've been reading a lot of stuff about junyah playing lazy as ****. All that money in his pockets must be weighing him down

His back was completely turned to where the play was...which was odd in itself.

He never once turned around to see if the play was still ongoing...he was just walking around adjusting his pads.

Either he took the play off or he thought the play was over ( if it was the latter he should have at least turned around TO SEE if the play was actually over )

His back was completely turned to where the play was...which was odd in itself.

He never once turned around to see if the play was still ongoing...he was just walking around adjusting his pads.

Either he took the play off or he thought the play was over ( if it was the latter he should have at least turned around TO SEE if the play was actually over )

Makes me think of Osi last year. He sacks a qb and strips the ball but jumps up and starts doing his celebration dance meanwhile behind him players are scrambling for the ball

There's plenty that could be said about the kind of product the Saints put out on D but it's too early right now, I'll save my opinion until next week. While week 2 can still be considered a little early for a proper evaluation, if they struggle severely against the lowly Browns offense than I know we have an issue. They were just terrible Sunday, but give some credit to ATL's offense, they did an excellent job at exposing our CB depth.

I wanted to give all credit to the Falcons offense for making the Saints defense look bad, but I can't... The Saints defense looked lost on nearly every play and it was a rare sighting to see any of their players actually tackle or rush the passer.

They looked sluggish... that became clearer once I saw that they even looked slow when they were trying to chase down the lumbering Matt Ryan, who looked like a snail with crutches, whenever he ran.

I only bring this up because you guys have a top 5 potential defense, none of what made your defense amazing last season, showed itself in week 1.

ETA on Rob Ryan fixing it?

We played very loose soft coverage. Our starting LB's can't cover well enough for the scheme we ran and they took advantage of it.