Am I The Only One Disappointed With Nolan?

Boogie Man

I still have the game, but I haven't re-watched it yet. It seemed like we rushed 4 and even 3 99% of the time...against Drew Brees! Smh I don't recall a single inside blitz, something that's commonly acknowledged as the number one way to disrupt that guy.

I know we won and the D made some great plays, but we looked really passive on passing downs, which doesn't sit well with me, nor bode well for the future imo. What say you?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest facelessman07

Hard to have a Nolan defense when you don't have Nolan pieces. Nolan hasn't been a great D coordinator all his life to come here and suddenly suck. Other factors are at work

We blitz once and Brees killed us for 57 yard pass. Drew Brees is one of the best QB in the league against Blitz. The Falcons can't rely on blitz and need pass rushers to win their match ups. I don't like Nolan for leaving the middle of the field open again and again from 2012 play offs. He needs to fix that crap in the middle.

the one blitz we ran was willimo up the middle and we got burned.

I don't know what the deal was the first half, we didn't stop them on a single drive. Ok held them to FG's on the first two but still, we still couldn't get off the field on 3rd down and it didn't appear to matter what the distance was.

second half, esp the 3rd quarter, was like a completely different team was out there

think about the second time we faced Brees last season with the defense we had. we had probably the worst defense I've ever seen us field but we held them to 17 points but that was after the unit had been together a while and a lot of the mental mistakes were worked out. give the unit time before we get ready to fire everybody, plus, it WAS Brees

At some point you have to win individual battles on the D line. John Abraham used to do it all the time. Right now we just don't have anyone who can consistently get that edge rush by just flat out beating his man. Blitzing Brees is a recipe for suicide, and we saw how that worked for us the few times that we tried it yesterday. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do against someone who won't be wearing a gold jacket one day.

I'll say it...I am concerned.

This is Nolan's third season and his impact should be clear by now. What I saw yesterday wasn't better than anything his predecessor did, and that's disappointing.

The Saints were virtually unstoppable yesterday, having punted only once. The other two stops was a poorly thrown ball by Brees that was intercepted, and the strip by Moore in OT. Other than this, the Saints marched on our defense with ease and personally I'm sick of watching a defense that looks utterly helpless at times.

Every QB is great against the blitz when it doesn't get there...and, maybe we should go back to more high school schemes where one backer has the RB and another has the TE. So sick of linebackers dropping into their 'zone' while ignoring the RB and TE. Hasn't someone taught them that it's only zone until somebody comes into your space, then you man up on the guy...smh

He had to leave the field open because that's how Sean Peyton designs his plays. The line backer drops back to the middle then Bree's dumps it off to the running back then BOOM first down or big gain. The LB covers the RB then BOOM Jimmy boy is wide open.

You have to double graham and then BOOM Cooks is open. The Saints and falcons offense is set up like this. Neither line backing core covered the middle well. Kudos to both offensive schemes.

It would also help if we had better personnel as well. Nolan does have two undrafted LB's( even though they hold their own sometimes) and Rookie Shembo with Beirman covering as well coming off an

Injury.

It's personnel. Ask Nolan if he would do wonders with Bowman, Willis, Smith, and the 4th LB the49ers currently have. Or Seattle with KJ Wright, Malcom Smith, and to an extent Bruce Irvin.

Hard to have a Nolan defense when you don't have Nolan pieces. Nolan hasn't been a great D coordinator all his life to come here and suddenly suck. Other factors are at work

Lots of D Coordinators would look good if they had all the pieces that Ozzie Newsome provided Nolan with in Baltimore. Many years of poor play in San Fran netted Nolan lots of low round picks/great defensive players there as well. So yes, Nolan has looked good with superior talent and he has looked only average/mostly bad with average and substandard players. What Nolan does not seem to do well is teach safeties how to spot the mismatches going on before a play and to provide help. Ever notice how most teams exploit the soft zone that Atlanta plays? We have guys out of position constantly. How is it that Graham was open with no one within 20 yards of him at times yesterday? Why was Tyson Jackson trying to cover Graham at one point? Yes, we could do a lot worse (and have) without Nolan, but his genius is predicated on the talent he has. Meaning, he's not coaching up the lesser skilled players. Edited by 4dabirds

The Saints were virtually unstoppable yesterday, having punted only once. The other two stops was a poorly thrown ball by Brees that was intercepted, and the strip by Moore in OT. Other than this, the Saints marched on our defense with ease and personally I'm sick of watching a defense that looks utterly helpless at times.

they punted twice

i wouldn't call giving Nolan a bunch of 6th and 7th rounders exactly helping him fix the pass rush, we have a lot of projects...just need one to step up and be that edge rusher we've been looking for

File under; Can't make chicken salad with chicken shite. We need better players rushing the passer, but as we all know, we had so many holes that one couldn't be filled this year. I still want to see more aggression, less 'keep everything in front of ya' girlie bs

Lots of D Coordinators wood look good if they had all the pieces that Ozzie Newsome provided Nolan with in Baltimore. Many years of poor play in San Fran netted Nolan lots of low round picks/great defensive players there as well. So yes, Nolan has looked good with superior talent and he has looked only average/mostly bad with average and substandard players. What Nolan does not seem to do well is teach safeties how to spot the mismatches going on before a play and to provide help. Ever notice how most teams exploit the soft zone that Atlanta plays? We have guys out of position constantly. How is it that Graham was open with no one within 20 yards of him at times yesterday? Why was Tyson Jackson trying to cover Graham at one point? Yes, we could do a lot worse (and have) without Nolan, but his genius is predicated on the talent he has. Meaning, he's not coaching up the lesser skilled players.

I see your point but they didn't score on that play with Tyson Jackson so you can't nit pick one snap. Now if T Jackson would have missed a tackle and it would have caused a TD then I would have agreed more with this post.

It's pretty common knowledge vs. elite quarterbacks that the most effective way to beat them is to get pressure with 4 players, something we will obviously struggle with again this year. It's said over and over and over by commentators during any Saints or Broncos game. Same way both the Colts and Seahawks were able to beat the Broncos last year. An occasional blitz may work, but those guys read defenses so fast and have insane release times.

Guest facelessman07

This is his 3rd year and he is supposed to be heavily involved in last 2 drafts. I guess the excuse runs out this season.

No, the excuse woulda ran out a long time ago if he actually had full control of the D

Yeah, I'm not disappointed. That's called "game planning." You don't blitz a guy that is money against the blitz.

Agreed you don't blitz him often, but I disagree with deciding not too blitz him at all. A QB takes great comfort in knowing he's not going to be blitzed at all and this renders him more effective.

I think a few more strategic blitzes yesterday were in order as it wasn't as if not blitzing him was working well.

The Saints outsmarted us by chipping or doubling Osi and

as we have advertised, he is our "designated pass rusher" so

I suppose they didn't have to be too smart.

As the game progressed our offense played so well that it

shamed them into playing better. Or you could say they got

caught up in the emotion of the game and brought better effort.

Nolan is trying to do something but I can not identify it yet from

what I am seeing on the field. We look bad on defense and some

great individual efforts by our DB's saved us.