Atonement For My Sins

I lead the "cut Matt Bryant" charge over the summer. $3m+ is a big cap hit to carry for a fungible position.

Clearly, Matt Bryant was having none of it.

**** of a game from a consummate pro.

I'll gladly eat a Vegas-sized buffet of crow all season long if Matt Bryant keeps booting 50+ yard field goals in huge spots.

I lead the "cut Matt Bryant" charge over the summer. $3m+ is a big cap hit to carry for a fungible position.

I'll gladly eat a Vegas-sized buffet of crow all season long if Matt Bryant keeps booting 50+ yard field goals in huge spots.

Matt Bryant will still be kicking field goals after humanity has long been extinct

Matt Bryant is as close to automatic as it gets. It's a testament to him that no matter how nervous I was at other points in the game (seriously, basket case), I was 100% calm with both field goals. It honestly didn't even seem like a possibility that they weren't going to go through.

I wasn't that confident but I was pretty confident on the first one.

On the second one after a healthy dose of Smitty ball, I thought "well.....if ever there was a guy I wanted kicking a 52 yarder to win, it'd be Matt Bryant"

Kick, good, ball game, atonement thread.

Isn't it great to be wrong some times?

:)

Matt Bryant is as close to automatic as it gets. It's a testament to him that no matter how nervous I was at other points in the game (seriously, basket case), I was 100% calm with both field goals. It honestly didn't even seem like a possibility that they weren't going to go through.

Agreed.

However...

That game winner drifted right just inside the right pole, whereas his game tying FG was dead center. Point being that so many things have to go perfectly to hit 50+ yard field goals as one's margin for error is greater.

I bring this up because I was somewhat disappointed in the play calling prior to the game winner. We didn't event disguise our intent by not having any wide outs and running the ball for little or no gain. I'd like to see a little more faith in Matt Ryan right there to get us another 10-15 yards, especially the way he was playing yesterday. That's what we did in the 1998 NFC Championship Game with Morton Anderson...we kept running legitimate plays (in overtime with much, much more on the line) until he was set up for a 37 YFG.

My biggest concern on the kick in overtime was the fact that the right end on the Saints kick blocking unit was awfully close to blocking several field goals all day and especially close on the kick that sent us to overtime.

We might have to work on who ever is playing the right end on the kicking unit. Go back and watch those two field goals.