Explosive Plays

TheFatboi

We always hear talk about explosive plays. 20+ yards. We also saw many ppl bash Ryan about jus lack of explosive plays. I noticed yesterday 2 things.

Matt Ryan had 9 plays of 20+ yards. Explosive. Drew only had 2. They both had 1 of 40+. Now before anybody says anything the second thing is the 2 Drew Brees had. This is not a knock on Drew but a kudos to our defense for limiting big plays.

Even tho Drew torched us he did the damage underneath mostly because our defense, more notably our secondary(Tru, Alf, Willy Mo, and Lowery) limited the deep ball. I think this is something to build on. We won't be playing the saints every week so they won't be giving up yards like that every game but if they keep limiting the explosive plays and our offense keeps making them we could make a good push.

Thoughts??

D will get better- half dozen of those big plays for Brees- the 50+ yarder, and several of the big plays on 3rd down were breakdowns in communications, with several new starters, that's going to happen- esp. against Brees. Eliminate those breakdowns, take away, say 10 points from the other team, Falcons cruise.

Then, factor in Hageman, Shembo, Southward getting better as the year goes on. Could be a much better D at the end of the year.

Two big things I noticed on offense:

1. We had a lot of speed on the field. I would argue that when we had Julio, Hester, and Douglas, the Saints were gassed. It actually seemed like we used SJax to keep them off their game. We would come at them, cut up their secondary, spread them out, then pound them with Slow-Mo SJax and they could not get up to the line fast enough.
  2. We abused Lofton and their other LB's in the blocking game. I twice saw Hawley up in Lofton's grill, and saw a few other plays where our O-Line was blocking into the secondary. When you have that kind of push, big things happen. It tires out your opponent.

As for defense, it looked like we did not have our morning coffee in the first half. After that, I noticed Bartu, Willy Mo, really all the DB's flying around. It seemed they had freedom to go where they needed. It was our LB's that seemed to give up the yards.

Also of note, it seemed our run D was either awesome and swarming, or not there at all. I'm not sure what was going on there. It was like we could not make the right reads or something. I might have to give that one up to the Saints for making good play calls.

We always hear talk about explosive plays. 20+ yards. We also saw many ppl bash Ryan about jus lack of explosive plays. I noticed yesterday 2 things.

Matt Ryan had 9 plays of 20+ yards. Explosive. Drew only had 2. They both had 1 of 40+. Now before anybody says anything the second thing is the 2 Drew Brees had. This is not a knock on Drew but a kudos to our defense for limiting big plays.

Even tho Drew torched us he did the damage underneath mostly because our defense, more notably our secondary(Tru, Alf, Willy Mo, and Lowery) limited the deep ball. I think this is something to build on. We won't be playing the saints every week so they won't be giving up yards like that every game but if they keep limiting the explosive plays and our offense keeps making them we could make a good push.

Thoughts??

This is an enormous point IMO. The Saints had to earn all those points, no easy cheap ones given up. This is remarkable given all the new faces on defense and a new DL coach this year. We made several mistakes which comes with the territory of all the new faces going up against a veteran high octane offense.......just wait until we have played together a few more games, we should be able to tighten things up much more.

This is an enormous point IMO. The Saints had to earn all those points, no easy cheap ones given up. This is remarkable given all the new faces on defense and a new DL coach this year. We made several mistakes which comes with the territory of all the new faces going up against a veteran high octane offense ... just wait until we have played together a few more games, we should be able to tighten things up much more.

Yes, one would like to think the defense would improve, or at least show better against a less-powerful offense, with more game experience together.

Heaven help the NFL if the offense does the same.

Yes, one would like to think the defense would improve, or at least show better against a less-powerful offense, with more game experience together.

Heaven help the NFL if the offense does the same.

You cannot watch that game, consider who we were playing, factor in all the new faces and mistakes that come with gelling process, consider how we overcame all mistakes and still won the game, and not think you don't have a Super Bowl caliber team. Our offense was absolutely dominant yesterday against last years #4 rated defense, our STs were superb, and our defense was just good enough. Tighten some screws and this is going to get interesting down the stretch.

Bottom line, after watching that game, we are not just playing for a winning season this year hoping to salvage a 9-7 record after last years debacle, we are clearly playing the division and then Lombardi. We are a legitimate Super Bowl contender now.

One thing I'll say, this game settled the "Is Matt Ryan elite?" question for me.

Ryan put the team on his back and set the tone for the season. That was an elite performance.

edit: I'd also add that I'm never worried when Ryan has the ball late in the game. There's always a chance when the game is in his hands. The last guy in this town that I can remember giving me that feeling was Ilya Kovalchuk of the Atlanta Thrashers. Nobody ever questioned whether or not he was elite...

Edited by ocoee_falcon